Start by marking “The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape” as Want to Read:
The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape

The Shaping of a Life: A Spiritual Landscape

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  103 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In The Shaping of a Life, Phyllis Tickle recounts her life with honesty and humor, richly conveying both the external events and the internal insights and emotions. As Tickle chronicles her deepening understanding of prayer and the rewards of marriage, family, and spiritual life, she reaches across the boundaries that separate one denomination from another and presents a p ...more
Published January 21st 2003 by Image (first published April 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaping of a Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaping of a Life

Dianne Oliver
Sep 26, 2016 Dianne Oliver rated it did not like it
Potentially a good book, but she is dreadfully long-winded, and any interesting tid-bits are quite buried in a lot of non-sense.
Emily
Dec 02, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely on my favorites list. I became interested in it after hearing she was a contributor to the Voice scripture project and that she was the religion editor at Publisher's Weekly (which I love thumbing through.)

The Shaping of A Life was an excellent title for this because it was exactly that. This book blurred the lines somewhere between a memoir and an autobiography, covering roughly the first thirty years of her life (from 1930-1960.) She is incredibly introspective, incredi
Justin
I had to give up on this one part-way through. While the author seems very intelligent, her rather intellectual presentation of spiritual matters is generally not what I look for in spiritual biography. Rather, I hope to be spiritually uplifted- the ability of which to do so I found somewhat lacking in this book.
Maria Ramirez dodson
This woman had an amazing life and is one of my spiritual heroes. I've taken my time with this book but now that I'm almost done it's like a good friend. It does drag. A little in the middle but life is like that some times.
Sylvia Jeronimo
Jun 24, 2016 Sylvia Jeronimo rated it did not like it
I tried. I really tried to get into this book but to no avail. It's not that Tickle doesn't have a good handle on language but the use of words was so superfluous as to render them distracting and meaningless. Very disappointing.
Greg
Oct 23, 2015 Greg rated it it was amazing
An inspiring read of one woman's faith journey through life that follows her journey through school, marriage and children, and how these events reflect on her spiritual inner self.
Kristen
Jan 16, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, memoir
I really wanted to like this book. And there were moments I really enjoyed. But I did not love it, nor did I find it as engaging as many other spiritual memoirs.
Jennifer Sevrens
May 17, 2011 Jennifer Sevrens rated it it was amazing
deeply insightful and spiritual autobiography of an accomplished writer/religious expert from eastern Tennessee.
Linda Rodrigues
Feb 13, 2012 Linda Rodrigues rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written memoir of a spiritual journey, "The Shaping of a Life" is an academic masterpiece and a portal to the divine.
Tim Flack
Tim Flack rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Jessica Stock
Jessica Stock rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2012
Betsy Tompkins
Betsy Tompkins rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2012
Jorge
Jorge rated it really liked it
May 26, 2008
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Carley
Carley rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Robert Martin
Robert Martin rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Gwen Meharg
Gwen Meharg rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Mary Peterson
Mary Peterson rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Mskristo
Mskristo rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Louann
Louann rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2009
Shawn Thrasher
Shawn Thrasher rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Tony Jones
Tony Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Marjorie Hahn
Marjorie Hahn rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
  • Troubled Minds: Mental Illness and the Church's Mission
  • I Asked For Wonder: A Spiritual Anthology
  • A Whole New Life: An Illness and a Healing
  • Snake Oil: The Art of Healing and Truth-Telling
  • From Pebbles to Pathways: A Journey of Healing the Heart One Insight at a Time
  • The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:
PHYLLIS TICKLE, founding editor of the Religion Department of PUBLISHERS WEEKLY, the international journal of the book industry, is frequently quoted in sources like USA TODAY, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR, NY TIMES, as well as in electronic media like PBS, NPR, THE HALLMARK CHANNEL, etc., Tickle is an authority on religion in America and a much sought after lecturer on the subj
More about Phyllis A. Tickle...