Start by marking “A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story

A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  879 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Opus, the penguin hero of "Bloom County," makes his children's book debut in this holiday adventure about dreams taking wing. "The deliciously satisfying conclusion perfectly captures the spirit of Christmas."--Publishers Weekly. Full-color illustrations.
Library, 32 pages
Published September 1st 1991 by Little Brown & Co (Juv)

To ask other readers questions about A Wish for Wings That Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wish for Wings That Work

Matthew
Jul 04, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and loved this book for as long as I can remember. It's probably one of the finest Christmas stories ever written, with the whole unlikely hero angle being worked to a frenzy. It's not something I can say I expect when I read Mr. Breathed's work, though I'm coming to realize that maybe I should. Of the books that I've read by him lately, each one has cleverly fused a story with some moral theme. A lot of his work seems to be focused on the loneliness of modern life, and his characters ...more
Brianna Jones
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: transitional, ages 6-10

Topics and Themes: This book is about Christmas. Opus, the main character, wishes that he had wings that work like other birds. The book is about accepting what you are given because everyone is special in their own ways.

Curricular Use: Good for a read aloud

Social: This book deals with accepting the things we cannot change. Opus is envious of other birds who can fly. He tries to fly several times but it never quite works. He wishes to San
Craig
Nov 03, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Although I am a self-professed mega-fan of Berke Breathed and Bloom County I think I can briefly step outside this persona to write objectively about this book -- IT'S BRILLIANT! Not only is the book humorous and superbly drawn and colored but it also has in it the very heart-warming, kid-friendly message that you should like yourself for who you are.

Opus the penguin is down at Christmas so he makes a wish to Santa for a pair of "wings that work" so he can soar through the sky with the other bi
Dolly
Dec 04, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I was always a big fan of Bloom County and I remember looking forward to the Sunday comics in the newspaper so I could read about the exploits of Opus and Milo and Bill the Cat. So when I saw this book at our local library, I just had to read it.

The story is simple and entertaining: Opus wants to fly. The illustrations are just as good as I remembered and the story is wistful, but funny. I don't think our girls have as much of an appreciation for these characters as I do, but they liked the tal
Spudsie
Aug 31, 2008 Spudsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloom-county
Poor Opus....all he wants to do is what other birds do naturally--fly.

And yet it's the one thing he can't do despite his wings.

He tries and tries. Only to fail.

But when the snow ducks lead him to Santa's sinking sleigh...well we find out what his wings are truly meant for.

In the words of Santa, "I see no penguins here...whose wings only sputter. Tongiht it was courage that flew yours beyond others."

Maybe this is why I'm drawn to Opus so much. He struggles so hard to do what he thinks he "should"
Caitlyn LeBeau
Feb 15, 2015 Caitlyn LeBeau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Wish for Wings That Work by Berkeley Breathed is an inspiring story about having different strengths. The main character, Opus, is a penguin whose dream is to be able to fly. He is the only animal that has wings that don't allow him to take flight. Opus orders a flying contraption but ends up not using it because of the steepness of the fall if it didn't work. He decided to write a letter to Santa asking for wings that could fly. He set up for Santa and could not wait until the next morning wh ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I bought and re-read this book in an attempt to re-create my childhood bookshelf.

Ahhh, that strange familiar feeling of finding a book long-forgotten! It's so less frequent now, but it's still a crazy thing. I found this just the other day and hoo boy were these illustrations familiar to me. But I couldn't place the book the way I can some I remember, even vaguely. And I worried that I had not owned this book as a child but rather something about the illustrations were familiar, and that was all
Rachel
Dec 03, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauras
Dec 21, 2015 Lauras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story about using your own unique gifts and talents and not spend time worrying about what you CAN'T do. I read this every year to my library students and then explain that we all are different and unique and should celebrate that.
Nicely written with lovely similes and clear images, students will enjoy the penguin's quest for flight. The story has an entertaining twist when Santa is stranded and only the penguin can save him. Will Santa gift him with flight?
Jack
Dec 23, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-g-4
I love Opus and it is a lovely little Christmas Story.
Age Range: 6 - 9 years
Grade Level: 1 - 4
Randy
Jul 03, 2010 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers, dreamers, and me
Shelves: favorites
This book has become a Christmas tradition in my home. It is a fantastic lesson of purpose and calling wrapped in a story about a penguin longing to have wings that "work". From Bloom County creator, Berke Breathed, this story takes Opus the penguin out of the Sunday comics and into a new world of snow ducks and Santa. The illustrations for this book are outstanding and the story is funny, well-paced, and terrifically moving. If I could give it six stars out of five, I would.
Catherine
This book is sweet and funny.
Cat
Jun 15, 2014 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book growing up.
Tracey Lundell
Nov 25, 2015 Tracey Lundell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great Christmas story.
Thomas
Sep 02, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as I am concerned, every child has a dream of flying in the sky just like the penguin in the book. The penguin, Opus, is dying to fly in the sky but he is a penguin and that is a problem, too. I think this book can transmit a message to children that every sorts of creature in the world has a skill to live and has its own specialty. Then, children will know how to discover their interests in some fields they want to express their strong points.
Michell Karnes
A fun cute story. I love Opus!
Lisa
A sweet story about Opus, the penguin, whom wishes for wings that work. He tries and tries to find a way to fly, and finally asks Santa to bring him wings that work. But on Christmas Eve, when Santa's harness breaks and his reindeer fly off without him and leave him unknowingly in a lake, only Opus can get Santa out. The next morning, all the ducks in the area come to his door and carry him into the sky so he can fly on Christmas morning.
Sung Baick
Cute story about a penguin who wishes to fly. He soon finds out that him not being able to fly has saved Christmas for everyone. This would be a fun read for December as Christmas gets near. It's more of a Christmas/winter book as opposed to a book about penguins. Meaning, I would use this book for a lesson on holidays, not penguins. Great for the elementary grade levels.
Kate
Jul 05, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: kidstuff
Oh Goodness! I stumbled upon this book looking for My Wings by Charles Lindbergh and I nearly hada bit of a heart attack. I used to read this book ALL OF THE TIME! I believe it had a role in my wanting so desperately to become a pilot. Opus is me: Determined, yet seemingly hopeless, until his wish is finally granted (keep your fingers crossed for me!)
Pinky
Sep 12, 2007 Pinky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This will probably always be one of my favourite children's stories. My mom gave it to me one year for Christmas, along with our traditional Opus. It is a sweet story about Opus, a penguin, wanting to fly, and asking for wings that work for Christmas.
Heart warming and somethng to curl up with kids with, sit down and enjoy it with a cup of cocoa.
Vloiacono
I had always been a fan of Berkley Breathed's comic strips and when this book came out I was thrilled. It is a fun story that I would recommend any age to read. more importantly to me is this was a gate way book to all of his children's books to follow. Most notable are, Good Night Opus, Edward Fubwubber Fibbed Big, and also Pete and Pickles.
Jyh-haw Teng
a penguin has wings, but he can't fly. he's frustrated because of that. he tried, but he just can't fly. but fate makes him know there's other things that he can do. Just like life. Others can do something doesn't mean you can achieve the same thing too. To know yourself well is the best way to find your life goal and the meaning of your life.
Clairissa D
This text is about a penguin by the name of opus who decides to make a Christmas wish for wings that will work, so that he will be able to fly.The book is ultimately about appreciating the things that you have because it was something that was specifically meant for you. I would use this text to discuss character traits and sequencing.
Sadie
Initially a christmas story, but so much more. About finding what you are good at and not sitting around comparing yourself to others. I loved his pictures and the story written in prose. My children like it, but I am always the one to suggest it. I love Berkeley Breathed books.
Rachel
Dec 07, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic melding of pictures and prose--humor and substance. That's the magic that can happen when you are both author and illustrator; I would expect no less from Berkeley Breathed. A magically fun and charming addition to our Christmas Story advent.
Colleen
Jun 19, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Every home should come equipped with this book. It should be read to children often. And not just children who celebrate Christmas, but all children. Sure, the story features Christmas and Santa, but they're really just...catalysts for what happens.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A wonderful discovery this past Christmas that will now become an annual holiday tradition. Hilarious writing and illustration by the famous comic strip artist Berkeley Breathed combine for a tale that both adults and children will enjoy.
Carmen
Dec 07, 2010 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book for the first time and loved it! A cute Christmas story that shows how sometimes you might wish for things to be different when in reality there is a reason why things are the way they are.
Skylar Burris
Jan 08, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love this enchanting Christmas story, and I was surprised by how often my not quite four-year-old daughter wanted it read to her, given how long it is. (I did have to condense it a little.)
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • How Murray Saved Christmas
  • Jacob's Gift
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?
  • Auntie Claus
  • Chocolate: The Consuming Passion
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Carl's Christmas
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
Guy Berkeley "Berke" Breathed is an American cartoonist, children's book author/illustrator, director, and screenwriter, best known for Bloom County, a 1980s cartoon-comic strip which dealt with socio-political issues as seen through the eyes of highly exaggerated characters (e.g. Bill the Cat and Opus the Penguin) and humorous analogies.

More about Berkeley Breathed...