Start by marking “The Unicorn Road ” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn Road

The Unicorn Road

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
On the coast of southernSpain, an English father sits waiting for his son. It is many years since Benedict, then still a child, set out with the famous scholarAntioch on a mission to find and collect the mysterious beasts of the East. In all those years there has been no word, and the expedition is assumed lost. But the boy's father is not the only person asking questions ...more
Published January 8th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn Road

Célia
Os livros pedem um tempo certo para serem lidos. Não basta que estejam bem escritos, que tenham um enredo e personagens maravilhosas: se não forem lidos no tempo certo, correm o risco de serem apenas mais um, esquecido em pouco tempo. Acredito que A Linguagem Secreta das Mulheres tenha sido um desses casos para mim. Mas antes de vos explicar porquê, deixem-me falar-vos um pouco sobre o livro propriamente dito.

Estamos perante um romance histórico decorrido no Séc. XIII, que junta histórias de vár
Carole
Apr 19, 2009 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Martin Davies' debut novel The Conjuror's Bird I was looking forward to reading The Unicorn Road, and I was certainly not disappointed.

First Line:
To lose a small boy in a world so wide is an easy thing.

These are the words of the father as he waits for Benedict. Every trader he meets he asks for news of his son.

Throughout the novel we return to the father who is visited by various people who are also looking for his son but for their own selfish reasons. I felt so much sympathy for
Helen
Jan 20, 2014 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this as much as The Conjuror's Bird. I found it confusing with the different narratives and the endless traveling but it might be because it didn't hold my interest quite enough for me to care. The story was terribly sad but again, lack of engagement with any of the characters prevented my involvement. No more than OK.
Jo Bunt
Jun 28, 2012 Jo Bunt rated it really liked it
Such a beautifully written book. The language, plot and characters are exquisite. There is such richness to the writing and I really cared for the characters. The only downside was I thought the ending was a bit miserable - I wanted something better for the characters I'd come to love.
Denise
Nov 18, 2012 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Slow-moving, but beautifully written historical fiction.
Gary Bonn
Mar 27, 2016 Gary Bonn rated it really liked it
A very good read.
Underpinned by what must have been exhaustive research into events, politics and countries of the time, this is a wholly immersive and believable tale with a few surprises. One in particular stands out - a secret language around which is woven ritual. I'll never forget the depth of emotion and illustration of the times it portrays.
Characters very good as is the story. Structure is clear, bold and excellent. Editorial is of a very high standard.
Recommended for those who want deep
Isi
This book just broke my heart.
Wandering_eneri
Aug 20, 2013 Wandering_eneri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart-breaking.
Andrew
This is very much a book of two halves. The first sets everything up, and then the second delivers payback for the time that you have invested reading the first.

The story is about an English Merchant who lost his son more than a dozen years ago. This narrative runs alongside the story of what actually happened to his son. The two are woven together very well as revelations in one directly impact on your understanding of what is happening in the other.

The story is set in the 13th Century, and f
Lizzie Epton
Feb 24, 2016 Lizzie Epton rated it really liked it
A little slow to start but an incredibly detailed world set out in a small easy to read book, the characters are revealed slowly throughout the book which shakes off the misconceptions you have about the characters at the beginning. A sad heartfelt book about love, loss, adventure and deceit
Oct 06, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Picked up as it caught my eye in the library (classic judging of a book by its cover)... turned out quite well, interesting tale that differs from norm
Liz
Feb 06, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
Great book if slightly rushed at the end
Vittorio Dal Bianco
Jan 04, 2016 Vittorio Dal Bianco rated it really liked it
It was nice to read this book after my trip to Andalusia. I felt roaming again in the streets of Granada, Seville and Cadiz.
After all there are still the same walls, the same streets in the old part of town, the churches mixed with the mosques, the Islamic motives on the walls....
It's a dreamy novel of the Far East, seen through the eyes of the men of the Middle Ages
Jen
Aug 03, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: china
Interesting historical novel about a group of scholars and soldiers who journey to Japan in search of mythical beasts. Some of the party however, have other motives relating to the overthrow of the Papacy by the great Khan.
Kristine
Apr 18, 2010 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I would give this book three stars for the story, and four and a half for the writing. I just loved the language he used, and the story came together well in the end.

Gillean
Aug 17, 2012 Gillean rated it really liked it
This wasn't something I'd normally read but I quite enjoyed it. Told from 3 points of view it's an interesting story of west meets east in the 16th century.
Julienne
Oct 12, 2015 Julienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, novels
Please view my "somewhat review" at https://yienxa25.wordpress.com/2014/1...
Rosalind
The book weaves between 2 connected tales which is sometimes difficult to follow. An OK book.
Ruth Pellegrini
May 12, 2010 Ruth Pellegrini rated it really liked it
bit slow to get going but i'm enjoying it now.
Kate
Dec 27, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one heaps.
Cottageunderhill
May 12, 2010 Cottageunderhill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites, own-it
It was... amazing. :)
Carmen Mendes
Carmen Mendes marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Aromas de Cor
Aromas de Cor marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Ne
Ne marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kylie Gallant
Kylie Gallant marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
SLANZA
SLANZA added it
May 21, 2016
  • La mujer que llegó del mar
  • Hombres buenos
  • The Mysteries Collection (3 Stories)
  • Duet for Three Hands
  • Un millón de gotas
  • Into the Fire (Capitaine Inés Picaut, #1)
  • Attica
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • La cuisinière d'Himmler
  • The Good Mayor
  • The Medici Seal
  • So You Think You Know Harry Potter?: Over 1000 Wizard Quiz Questions
  • Son of Perdition  (Chronicles of Brothers, #3)
  • The Sea Road
  • Raiders of the Nile (Ancient World, #2)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
  • Het meisje met het rode haar
  • Churchill's Bomb: How the United States Overtook Britain in the First Nuclear Arms Race

Martin Davies is a British author. He has written two novels about Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper - Mrs. Hudson and The Spirits' Curse, and one about Joseph Banks and the Mysterious Bird of Ulieta, entitled The Conjuror's Bird, all of which have been published. He is a senior
More about Martin Davies...