Start by marking “Rise of the Dragoneye” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Dragoneye

Rise of the Dragoneye (Eon #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  44,555 Ratings  ·  3,648 Reviews
UK title for Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
Published January 1st 2009 by David Fickling Books (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Dragoneye, please sign up.

Lynn Aoude
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tas Yes! It is. For characterisation, plot, and overall worldbuilding. Give it a try soon!

Emily May
Feb 20, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2012
“Even a cornered rabbit will fight with teeth and claws.”

If you like the sound of really good fantasy that is steeped in a unique blend of Chinese and Japanese mythology, the world Alison Goodman has created should be next on your list. Vivid, colourful and highly imaginative. But you might want to make sure you have the even more amazing sequel lined up for when you're done.

How refreshing it is to be completely surprised by a story, to not be able to predict where the plot will take me next,
Wendy Darling
Apr 28, 2012 Wendy Darling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy Darling by: Cillian, Krystle, Nafiza
I hardly ever read straightforward fantasy, but every once in awhile a book comes along that blows right past all my usual objections to become a new favorite. As gently but strongly as a wisp of incense, Eon beckoned until I was completely in the thrall of its magic, and I hate to think how sad my life would be if didn't have this vividly imaginative novel in it.

For years, 16-year-old Eon has been training to be a Dragoneye apprentice, a coveted position in which the student serves as the condu
Vinaya
When I first started this book, I was like,

Photobucket

Then I read some more, and I became more like this:

Photobucket

Thankfully, before I went completely bald, the shit hit the fan, and it was THE END.

Photobucket

This book and I have a long and complicated history. About two years ago, a friend from the UK was visiting and she left behind a book called The Two Pearls of Wisdom. She told me I HAD to read it, and as I tend to do with most paperbacks, I shoved it in the black hole I call a bookcase and promptly forgot it existed.

Fa
Kat Kennedy
Well, I hope you're happy Tatiana, Penny and everyone else who convinced me to read this book. I hope you're REAL happy!

Happy Bug
They probably look something like this right now!

I just spent the last five hours reading this book and freaking the hell out. I swear the tension, anxiety and heart palpitations did not stop until the last page. Right up to the end I was clutching my chest like some kind of heart patient in desperate need of a quadruple bypass.

The big themes in this novel centre on sexuality,
Tatiana
Mar 11, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of hard fantasy and Asian mythologies
As seen on The Readventurer

When it comes to fantasy, I am a fan of the softer, girlier type, heavy on romance and relationships and lighter on mythology, magic and dragons. That's why it is such a surprise I liked this book so much, because Eon: Dragoneye Reborn is very mythology-oriented and prone to frequent info-dumping (especially in the beginning).

At first, the story is reminiscent of
Alanna: The First Adventure. Eon(a) is a 16-year old girl who pretends to be a 12-year old boy in order to
Flannery
May 02, 2011 Flannery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chinese Folklore/Fantasy Lovahs
Recommended to Flannery by: Tatiana

Larger graph if you can't read it: here .

A Few More Points:

*If you want someone to seem like a villain, do NOT make them taste like a creamsicle when you kiss them. Vanilla and orange=AWESOME.

*How DARE you end a book at that point! (just kidding, Ms. Goodman. You hooked me for the next one)

*I hope that Chart is part of book two. When he says "Sluuuuut" to Irsa, I laughed out loud at the audiobook. (One high point of the audio version which, overall, left a lot to be desired)

The Holy Terror
Aaaaahhhh, this was good ... though not without faults, and I think anyone who reads Eon will know exactly why I deducted a star. You will figure out early on why Eon is struggling, and it'll drive you crazy until she figures it out. The fact that Eon takes forever to realize the "big secret" was not something that ruined my enjoyment completely, but it definitely dampened a story that could have been perfect.

I started this book hot off the tail of Seraphina, not even realizing until I started w
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I need to read the second book like RIGHT NOW!!! I'm so mad that I don't own it because I literally want to start reading it immediately.
Steph Sinclair

Power. Glory. Honor. Reliability. Trust. Strength. Are these traits simply attributed to our gender? Does our gender determine who we are as people or who we can become as a person? For centuries women have struggled to pry themselves from underneath man's suppressive boot to claim their equality. For centuries being a woman was thought to mean you were weak, unable to defend yourself, better off in the kitchens.

This is the world 16 year-old Eon(a) lives in. She lives in an Asian culture were w
Navessa
I'll start with the good news...

This book is very well written. The landscapes are lush and exotic. The cities, streets, buildings and rooms are described in such easy, elegant detail that you just SEE them, without having to pause to build the images in your mind.

The characters were equally well formed. Goodman didn't flood us with too many people and those she did introduce were memorable and well cast. No one was one dimensional, everyone had depth, everyone seemed to draw an emotion from me
Choko
Jun 27, 2016 Choko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with my homies at BB&B!

This was one very beautifully written, very engaging, but very frustrating book of the Fantasy genre variety. The story takes you into a wonderfully created world, heavily Asian influenced, closest to the Chinese traditions during the feudal period, and the author has the perfect prose to make it feel authentic and real.

We get to meet young Eon, a bond servant in the house of a one-time Dragoneye master who is preparing Eon to follow in his step
Khanh (the Grinch)
Creative storyline and a strong heroine. It's the first book in the series, so I felt some things were lacking, and there were some issues in the world building that bothered me; for the most part, this was an action-packed book that I enjoyed more than I expected to.

I remember reading the blurb, realizing that the protagonist was a cross-dressing female, and said to myself "No." I've got nothing against it, it is just not a genre of storytelling that interests me. my experience with this genre
Mags~CVAddikt~
Slow start but amazing ... ohh yes ...

I mean, if you thought a girl with dragons was cool ...

You haven't read about EONA ...

Because first she was passing as a boy

And then she became

Controlling this

And right now, I'm downloading the sequel Eona

And if you are mexican ... let me tell you this book will remind you of

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Give this a 3 star after much thought. I enjoyed it, but my love of girls pretending to be boys cannot overcome Eona's cluelessness. I have to take away some demerits to encourage less stupidity in the future. I'm sure you understand.

I liked it and plan to read the sequel BUT I wanted Eon to be smarter. Seriously I figured out everything pretty much immediately and she was all like "AHHH I don't know & I don't want anyone to know I don't know" for like half the book. And I was like "DUDE I d
Catie
Apr 14, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you, like me, have always wished that Tamora Pierce and Anne McCaffrey would finally admit their deep, abiding love for one another; make it official with a short ceremony in Massachusetts; then decide to start a family by adopting a fierce Asian baby, then I think you will fall in love with this book.

This is the powerful story of Eon, a young candidate for apprentice Dragoneye. If he is selected, he will commune and share power with one of the twelve Dragons, which are energy based creatures
Carol.

Two and a half stars. It was okay, and I might get around to reading the second half. I should probably do so before giving an evaluation, as it appears it's more a duo than a stand-alone book.

I enjoyed the pace of the first 75 or 100 pages, which some critics might label "useless worldbuilding." I felt like it was building the world Eon lived in, from the Master's house to the city, showing the different types of adversity faced, and setting up an 'overcome major adversity' plot.

(view spoiler
Priscilla
Dec 04, 2013 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING! Alison Goodman creates a fully-realized world filled with dragons, magic, ancient customs, and political warfare. Our main character is Eon, a candidate to become apprentice dragoneye, an honour bestowed to only the worthiest of men. TWIST – Eon, is actually Eona, a 16 year old girl, who if she is found out, will be killed.

Initial thoughts:
1. The plot is amazing! Eon is faced with obstacle after obstacle. When you think it couldn't get worse, it does!
2. The backstory, and mythology is o
Michael
Dec 29, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008, arc, fantasy
The success of the Harry Potter series with both children and adults has opened a lot of doors in the fantasy genre. Publishers have issued a plethora of a new series and stories intended to capture the imagination and passion of readers in a simliar way to the stories of the young boy wizard. While a lot of these new fantasy stories have imitated what J.K. Rowling did with the Harry Potter novels, very few of them have really set the imagination on fire with an new, fascinating fantasy universe ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I have a feeling I will be telling my grandchildren long stories about my struggles with this book. Eon (both the book and the character) did not make it easy for me to like them, oh no. Instead, I constantly had to battle my desire to abandon them in favor of something easier to read, or a more likable heroine at the very least.

Sometimes, when a book is extremely popular and well-loved by everyone in the known universe and possibly beyond, I dig in my heels and simply refuse to read it
Twila
Aug 12, 2015 Twila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not stop him. He was my emperor. My lord. My master. His will was mine.
No. Never again. My will was my own.

How refreshing this was.

In Eon, every year a different Dragoneye becomes the ascendant, and an apprentice is chosen by the dragon. A Dragoneye is the human link to an energy dragon's power.

There's the Ox Dragon, Goat Dragon, Tiger Dragon, Monkey Dragon, Rabbit Dragon, Rooster Dragon, Snake Dragon, Dog Dragon, Rat Dragon, Pig Dragon, Horse Dragon and Dragon Dragon (Mirror Dragon). S
Lucy
May 11, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't. The lack of explanations just killed it for me. This book had no setting, though I'm assuming it's China. But it's never mentioned, and to me that's a pretty fundamental aspect of a book. The plot was really quite cool and exciting once you got more into the book, but it took me forever to get there because it was pretty slow and I kept having to reread things to try and understand what was going on. Not sure if I'll end up picking up book 2.
Ashley
I am a huge dum-dum.

During the five years I worked for Barnes & Noble, I got to read quite a few books gratis. Like, not only would we get to check out books (and Nooks! with unlimited ebooks!) from the store like it was a frickin' library, but we also got ARCs and pre-publication copies (the ones that have been copy-edited) of books so we could talk them up to customers. I will admit that I took shameless advantage of all of these privileges, and I miss them quite a lot (although I do NOT m
Lightreads
If I hadn’t been reading this book on a very expensive bit of technology, I would have hurled it against a wall. I believe my exact comment, upon reaching a particular moment of infamy towards the end was, and I quote, “what the fucking fuck was that fuckery?” I have all the feelings about this book. And so I share them. (Which is why you guys like me, don’t even try to lie).

Right, so, this is a fantasy about a girl posing as a boy in not!ancient China, and she impresses bonds with an ancient dr
Drew (Drew’s Cup of Tea)
Wow, that was exactly the immersive, fast-paced fantasy I was looking for.

I have to admit, at first I wasn't too impressed by the pacing of this novel. I found the world building dense, the plot complicated, and, quite frankly, I was bored. I'm so glad I stuck with it though, because after the first seventy pages I suddenly couldn't put it down. The suspense made me breathless and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

The world building was some of the best I've ever read. I loved the de
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
I am ashamed to say I neglected writing this review as well as the one for it's sequel... So all I can say is that I did not expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. I suppose it helped that I did not go in with high expectations and then was pleasantly surprised when they were surpassed.

The story was a fun read and it was easy to root for the main character Eon. What an awesome name BTW. Clearly this character could not be anything other than awesome, yet humble. ;) Moving on.

Of course! *face
Cait (Paper Fury)
Ultimately? Nope nope nope, I did not enjoy this book.

BUT! It had so much going for it, that I feel awfully guilty for not adoring it. It ticked so many of my "I-would-like-to-read-a-fantasy-book-about-this" boxes and, believe me, I was pretty gutted when I felt myself napping between chapters. Between words. WHILE READING. GAH. I was ridiculously bored. But first! Let's list good things!:

THINGS I REALLY LIKED:

+ um, DRAGONS, okay?! DRAONGS! I love me some dragons, even though these were more l
Janina
This book turned out to be a nice surprise for me. I had already thought about giving it away unread (it had been collecting dust on my shelf for quite a while), but then decided to at least give it a try. And it turned out to be good! (I love it when that happens, but it’s also the kind of thing that makes me even more reluctant to clear out my shelves every now and then. Who knows, I could be throwing out a real gem!)

I simply loved the atmosphere and the setting in The Two Pearls of Wisdom: co
Liz
Jan 03, 2016 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed-it
Back when this book was released I had abandoned it after some 50 pages because it had reminded me on another dragon-book which I found much better ( Nihal of the Land of the Wind), now after giving it another chance I must admit that it differs a lot from the other one, though they do have some obvious parallels.
I did enjoy it and I will read the sequel but there were many aspects of the book that irked me.

What I liked:
The characters. There was just the right amount of different characters in
Kristi
Dec 27, 2008 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was spectacular! I really enjoyed reading it, very addicting. The story takes place in a sort of Asian themed world. Although the world itself is purely created by the author, Goodman did mirror some of the past elements of Asian culture and society. Which I thought was a wonderful addition to the overall setting. Beautiful descriptions!

The plot while steady throughout the novel, seemed to fly by the last quarter or so! There was some predictability, and I was frustrated with Eon/a for
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadows on the Moon (The Moonlit Lands, #1)
  • Silver Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #1)
  • Vessel
  • Pegasus (Pegasus, #1)
  • The Poison Throne (Moorehawke Trilogy, #1)
  • Heart's Blood
  • The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3)
  • Brightly Woven
  • The Floating Islands
  • Mortal Fire
  • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
  • Plain Kate
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • Rampant (Killer Unicorns, #1)
  • Dragonfly
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
Alison is the author of EON and EONA, a New York Times Bestselling fantasy duology. Her latest novel --The Dark Days Club-- is Book 1 in a new trilogy, and will be published in the USA and UK in January 2016, and December 2015 in Australia. It has been reviewed by Publishers Weekly as "a delicious collision of Regency romance and dark fantasy". Alison calls it "Pride and Prejudice meets Buffy in E ...more
More about Alison Goodman...

Eon (2 books)
  • Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)

“I found power in accepting the truth of who I am. It may not be a truth that others can accept, but I cannot live any other way. How would it be to live a lie every minute of your life.” 317 likes
“There was a saying that a man's true character was revealed in defeat. I thought it was also revealed in victory.” 229 likes