Start by marking “The Unfortunate Traveller; or, The Life of Jack Wilton” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Unfortunate Travel...

Thomas Nashe

The Unfortunate Traveller; or, The Life of Jack Wilton

2.58 of 5 stars 2.58  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published 1920 by Oxford Blackwell (first published 1594)

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfortunate Traveller; or, The Life of Jack Wilton

Cameron Willis
Read for a class about early modern English literature. Professor felt it represented post-modern literature avant la lettre, I argued it represented pre-modern literature, before genre conventions and even the basics of the novel had been firmed up. Hilarity ensued. We later stared on stage together in a local production of Shakespeare's 'Much Ado About Nothing'.
Roland
Oct 11, 2008 Roland rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anti-semites, torture aficionados
This is one of the most fucked-up books I've read recently. I haven't read torture scenes this lovingly depicted since "Naked Lunch." And this was June 27, 1593! The antisemitism of pretty idiotic, but this was the 1500's after all.
Lyndi
I read this because it was on Boxall's 1001 Books list, but the old english spelling was quite challenging. I had to sound out the words sometimes to figure out what Nashe was trying to say. It's has more violent scenes than I would think for such a short book. Overall just an ok read for me.
Bill  Kerwin

This is an odd book, extremely loose in construction, and surely not a novel in any formal sense of the word. It begins as a collection of prankish anecdotes, shifts into a picaresque account of continental travel, studded with casual satire and stylistic parodies, and ends as a grim Italianate narrative fraught with rape, murder and revenge.

But the style, oh the style! Nash is a master of English prose--the sort of rambling, periodic prose, discursive and musical, that expired with the eightee
Kristen
Though short, this is a real eye opener as to life in those times. Violent, harsh, cruel, filthy, disgusting... and all told in loving detail by a man who travels about Europe. The language is a bit tough, I would suggest trying to read this with a group because reading it on your own is hard. The old english is almost phonetic in it's spelling and at times you almost have to read it aloud in order to figure out what it being said. Still, as difficult as it can be (especially if it's been 15 or ...more
John
This is the highlight of the Rogues' Bookshelf compiled about 80 years ago. It is the misadventures of Jack Wilton, a true and original rogue who traveled through England and the continent, meeting all sorts of interesting characters and getting into all kinds of mischief. The language can be a challenge, since it was written by Thomas Nashe in the 16th century, but it is a fun read nonetheless.
Mandy
Ugh, early modern prose is not my favorite thing, and this early version of a picaresque novel is chaotic and tedious at the same time. I was most interested during the detailed descriptions of violence, not because I love reading graphic torture scenes, but because it was at those moments that the narrative slowed down enough for the reader to engage.
Erin
I really couldn't get into this book. The old english was enough to put me off, but I just wasn't grabbed by the story either. I tried to finish it, but didn't care enough to make the effort.

I know other people enjoyed it immensely, and it had some humourous sentences, but in the end it wasn't enough.

Nicole
Not great, but not terrible either. The old English spelling is a little distracting from time to time but I was able to manage it pretty well. Very graphic violence and it drags terribly in the middle, but this is a quick read for a classic.
Amerynth
Thomas Nashe's 14th-century prose is so incredibly dense that I had a difficult time figuring out what was actually going on half the time. This book was more of a chore than an enjoyable read.
Jan
Not the easiest read in the world due to middle English writing but an excellent view into the mindset of 15th century people.
Gabriel Surpanu
It was a difficult book to read, but it had few interesting rows.
Ahmad Sharabiani
993. The Unfortunate Traveller, Thomas Nashe
Emma
Well, that escalated quickly.
Ingrit Tavares
Ingrit Tavares marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Via
Via marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Shinta
Shinta marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Trine
Trine marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Mike Maguire
Mike Maguire marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Kaitlyn Utkewicz
Kaitlyn Utkewicz marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
♥Robin ♥
♥Robin ♥ marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • Tirant Lo Blanc
  • The Female Quixote: or, the Adventures of Arabella
  • Islands
  • The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia
Thomas Nashe (November 1567 – c. 1601) was an English Elizabethan pamphleteer, playwright, poet and satirist.
More about Thomas Nashe...
The Unfortunate Traveller and Other Works The Choise of Valentines, Or, the Merie Ballad of Nash His Dildo Pierce Penniless, His Supplications to the Divell 1592 The Works of Thomas Nashe (1908) Lenten Stuff

“Grosse plodders they were all, that had some learning and reading, but no wit to make use of it.” 2 likes