Start by marking “Scream” as Want to Read:
Scream

Scream

While talking to his friend on the phone, Mark Stone is startled by a cacophony of otherworldly screams. Seconds later, a tragic accident claims his friend’s life. When this happens several more times--screams followed by an untimely death--he is compelled to act.

Published February 11th 2009 by Realms

To ask other readers questions about Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scream

Trinity Rose
I wasn’t required to write a review of Scream by Mike Dellosso, but after reading it I wanted everyone to know what an excellent book this is.
This is the first book I’ve read by Mike Dellosso and I’ve found another favorite author.
I just love this book; Scream is full of mystery, suspense and adrenaline rushing scenes.
It is a book that makes you think and want to do something about all of the lost people you meet. Everyone is going to die, but they don’t have to be lost.
The character Mark
Kimberly Yates
Jul 23, 2015 Kimberly Yates rated it it was amazing
Book Synopsis:
"Battling his failure as a husband and struggling with his own damaged faith, Mark embarks on a mission to find the meaning behind the screams and hopefully stop death from calling on its next victim. When his estranged wife is kidnapped and he again hears the screams as she calls from her cell phone, his search becomes much more personal and much more urgent."

My Thoughts:
Scary, tragic, fantastic, make you think story. You will have a hard time setting this book down, it is full of
Kristy
First off: I thought the plot for this book was a brilliant idea. Someone answering the phone only to hear screams that predict the person's coming death...and the screams turn out to be the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" from hell, therefore a warning that the person is on their way there. Very brilliant and unique; 5 stars to that thought right there.

Second: I'm sorry, but if I kept answering the phone and hearing the screaming that predicted death, I would just stop answering my phone!!

Thi
Alexandria
Mar 03, 2012 Alexandria rated it did not like it
I'm very perplexed about the high ratings this book received, especially those that accompanied words like "a real thriller". I had to wonder if I was reading the same book - I'm not even joking when I say this, I had to examine everything about my book and compare it to the one featured here just to make sure they are both truly one and the same.

For me this book was horrible. I would say the storyline was vapid but I'm unsure about what the storyline actually was. There is no real depth here,
T.E. George
Jun 23, 2009 T.E. George rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Mike Dellosso delivers a knockout in his sophomore suspense novel, Scream. The hero, Mark, is an average guy haunted by a terrible mistake that has driven his wife away and left him questioning everything. Then one day Mark is talking to a friend on the phone when they are interrupted by horrible screams. A few minutes later, Mark’s friend is dead. What follows is one man’s realization that there is something more than this life.

Scream has everything a good suspense story should: a flawed but de
Voni Harris
Feb 29, 2012 Voni Harris rated it really liked it
The plot of Mike Dellosso's Scream revolves around a man who hears hellish screams when he's on the phone with certain people...people who end up dead shortly after the phone call. This is confusing enough to him, until he is on the phone with his estranged wife (whom he still loves) and hears the screams. Will he be able to find her in time to save her?

I'm tempted to talk about the major plot twist, but I won't, in the interest of those who haven't read the book. Suffice to say, I thought Mr. D
Theresa Abney
May 08, 2013 Theresa Abney rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Oh, sweet Jesus.

I feel tricked. Thank goodness this book was free, because had I paid for it I would be straight up belligerent at this point. What started out as a relatively enjoyable scary story quickly deteriorated into the author forcing an insular religious agenda upon me. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ugh... and it wasn't even subtle. How about an allegory? Everyone likes a good allegory. No, it was in your face, agree with me or burn in hell for all of eternity.

Oh and if I ever see or hear the
Jen Walker
Mar 05, 2012 Jen Walker rated it did not like it
Sometimes I really don't understand how I end up with bible thumping "thrillers". I picked this up thinking it would be something exciting to read but no......religious bible bits everywhere and a not great plot. I had to just skim the last 30 or so pages so I could just be done already. Awful unbelievable plots with backwoods hick law enforcement that don't even know how to spell kidnapping. Thank goodness this was free.
Sara
Apr 25, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book was unbareable by the end. Had to skim it at the end because I couldn't read another internal monolague re: Jesus and their souls. Not to mention all the divorce talk over A KISS!! Sorry, but I like my horror to scare me, not pontificate endlessly and annoy me. Total flake out wrap up at the end as well.
Heartofkenna
Feb 29, 2012 Heartofkenna rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Well developed plot and characters destroyed by the overtly religious interruptions of Jesus.
Bryce Roberts
This book had an interesting plot-line that was pretty engaging. (Not the most so, by any means, but it was pretty good.) The first half seemed to drag just a bit, but the second half flew by in no time.

It takes an interesting (and sometimes downright creepy) look at the impact of the spiritual realm in real life, and it encourages sleepy Christians to wake up and realize that there is a real fight going on, and it matters dearly.

To me, the ending seemed a bit too happy-go-lucky/easy. Yes, the
D.M. Webb
"Do I know where I'll go when I die?"

The major theme in this heart pounding, breathing stealing book: Do you hear the screams of hell coming for you?

I started reading this book around 7 pm and couldn't tear my eyes from the pages until I finished shortly before 12.

Just when you thought you figured it out, a curve ball was thrown.

This may be just an entertaining thriller, but it's a story that will have you looking into your own soul: do you really Trust Jesus and Accepted Him or do you laugh a
Beata
Oct 12, 2013 Beata rated it really liked it
When good and nice people die and go to hell it makes you seriously think about your own life and ask yourself some questions... Can I be sure I go to Heaven? Isn't my life just some religious routine? Maybe I am just playing being a Christian? What if I die tomorrow? Today? Great book! It has mystery, suspense but it isn't just an entertaining thriller, but a story that has you looking into your own soul...
The book seems a little ani traditional christianity... Through my life I've met many dif
Sah Angoluan
Jun 17, 2016 Sah Angoluan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Very interesting book, I thought this book would be like any other books that I've read, mystery, thriller but this book is more than that. It is also about trusting God and accepting God. I wish I could have that ability to do so but, now, right now? I don't think so.

Great book especially the Judge who have thought that is Judge right? The author never wrote anything about what's his name? I forgot... suspicious. So when the revelation has finally came I was like "yeah, he's been like away, lik
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
I don't usually enjoy reading faith based books.. I prefer crime/scary stuff. This was a crime book..with a faith background. I actually enjoyed reading it. Sometimes faith based will try to hit you over the head with it..but this one was more subtle. Got the point across without being annoying about it. Well written.
Heather
Jan 28, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
First and foremost, this book is Christian Horror. I was unaware of this, as I just chose it because it looked interesting, but it's an important detail. Midway through, the plot rapidly dissolves into preaching, and the ending makes no sense other than "they are all saved because they trusted Jesus". It was a promising book, but it became simply irritating when the plot was thrown to the wind and it became a sermon. I'm giving it 2 stars because it was a good book at the beginning, and had pote ...more
CJ Scurria
Jun 16, 2016 CJ Scurria rated it really liked it
What if death and hell stared you in the face?

For Mark Stone it had come close enough. Every time he had a phone line conversation with another soul, it was interrupted by terrifying voices. A cacophony of screams. What was this and how come the one he spoke to would have their line cut out mere moments before their untimely death?

This throws the idea of death and peril into Mark's mind as this curse, this vision has him racing against the clock. But then he realizes that it is inevitable with h
Kelly
Sep 08, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Another great suspenseful novel by Mike Delosso. This story was very thought-provoking and realistic. There are four females who get abducted and the story as to why they are abducted is as unusual as their abductor. The story kept me routing for these women to escape. Mike also had me completely fooled by the abductor, and his identity came as a breath-taking twist. Again, if you like a book that holds your attention, driving you to keep turning pages, this is one you're going to want to read.
Gloria
Aug 22, 2014 Gloria rated it it was amazing
The story was a five star thrill ride. I think the author's zeal is admirable, but I guess I'm not the audience the book is for, especially the author's letter to readers at the end.

The main character is Mark Stone. He was caught by his wife with another woman, so they are now separated. He was on the phone with one of their mutual friends when they both heard these horrible, terrible screams seeming to come from hell for five seconds and then stopped. The friend was killed in a car crash secon
Crystal
May 26, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Scream starts off with a bang, imagine being on the phone with your best friend, both of you hearing these eerie screams coming through the phone and the next thing you know, you are hearing your best friend's car crash and he's not responding. That's how it all starts for Mark Stone. Mark is working hard and dealing with a separation with his wife and his own grief. Then the screams happen again and someone else dies. This keeps happening.

At the same time the police are investigating what could
Nikole Hahn
Apr 16, 2012 Nikole Hahn rated it really liked it
Scream by Mike Dellosso begins with Mark Stone talking on the phone to his friend just before hellish screams break their connection. Both of them hear the screams, but none of them can explain it until Mark's friend dies in a fiery crash. The screams throughout the book are a precursor to someone's death, and later Mark realizes that each of those who died went to hell.

Mark himself is an unbeliever separated from his wife, Cheryl. Cheryl is having a difficult time emotionally forgiving Mark fo
Kelly
Mar 30, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Scream is the first book I have read by Mike Dellosso. After reading it, I am definitely interested in getting my hands on The Hunted.

I was touched how the truth really never leaves us. Scream reminded me how important it is to share our faith and let people in on the saving love of Jesus Christ. Truly there is a time in our lives where we will breathe our last breath. This is true for us, and it is true for those we love. But do the people we love know God?

Two stories begin and eventually ent
Melanie
Jan 30, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, personal-copy
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R11WP692...
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Scream is the second book I've read by Mike Dellosso and, like Frantic, I loved it! Scream was such a great suspense novel that had some supernatural elements. The book definitely made me think about how everyone has an appointment with death and the importance of trusting in Jesus alone for salvation.

I really liked the characters. I was surprised that women were kidnapped in Scre
Richard
Oct 09, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
The hook to this book is electrifying: Mark Stone hears blood-curdling screams when he is on the phone with someone. Shortly after their conversation is finished, the person dies. Where are the screams coming from and why are all these people dying?

Then there is a second plot-line entailing somone kidnapping women and locking them in an abandoned barn.

How are these two stories connected and how in the world is this a Christian book?

Mike Dellosso does an admirable job keeping you on the edge of y
Summer Seeds
Mar 11, 2016 Summer Seeds rated it did not like it
I got to page 100 before I gave up. All the main character, Mark, does is complain about how his wife left him. For a horror/thriller novel, the story is oddly slow going and rather boring. I don't even care enough to figure out why the antagonist is kidnapping women. Honestly, I think my biggest problem is the writing. The religion aspect seems somewhat forced and in your face, which takes away from the story. Dellosso just isn't my cup of tea.
Amy
Mar 16, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
This was good. It was a Christian book but it wasn't hit you over the head believe what I believe it your damned writing. The message of God came across in a well thought out intriguing thriller if a book. The closer to the ending you got the more on edge you were. By the last chapter I was ready to cry just because of the tension. I will definitely be looking for more books by this author
Wendy
Jan 18, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-Stars

Really creepy!
When Mark Stone hears the screams through the phone while talking with a friend, he’s a bit unsettled but writes it off as some odd interference thing ... until he hears the horrible crash moments later … a crash that kills that same friend.

Then it happens again: same screams through the phone while talking with a man who dies moments later from what looks like a heart attack.

As if that’s not creepy enough, there’s a man who refers to himself as Judge kidnapping women out
Patrick Cox
Sep 08, 2016 Patrick Cox rated it it was amazing
I thought i may have read this book before and started reading it again. It was just as good as the first time I read it. Mike is a really good storyteller. The book is is suspenseful and scary all at the same time. What the characters go through just breaks my heart. Death is something we all have to face and knowing where you will go when they time comes makes it more joyous.
Mari
Jan 04, 2013 Mari rated it liked it
I picked this book up when Borders was going out of business. The story was decent but the tone was a bit too preachy for me. The book focuses on Mark Stone who has recently separated from his wife because he cheated on her. Stone grew up in a very religious family but fell away from the faith. He begins hearing horrific screams while talking to friends and family on the phone right before they meet their untimely demise which terrifies him.

In the area he lives in, two women have been abducted a
Jocelyn
Feb 16, 2014 Jocelyn rated it it was ok
The book sounded good on the back cover. The storyline was ok, but it left huge holes as to what exactly the supernatural element was. I liked the story, even with its inconsistencies until it went ultra religious out of nowhere. It came off as religious propaganda in the last quarter.
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Shade
  • Never Let You Go
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Cain
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Silent Kills
  • Valley of the Shadow
  • Addicted to Love
  • When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)
  • The Justice Game
  • The Strange Man (The Coming Evil, #1)
  • Refuge on Crescent Hill
  • Dead Reckoning
Mike Dellosso is the author of numerous novels of suspense, including Kill Devil, Centralia, Darkness Follows, Darlington Woods, and Scream. Mike is a popular conference and workshop teacher and an adjunct professor of creative writing. He lives in Hanover, PA, with his wife and five daughters. Mike is also a healthcare worker and survivor of colon cancer.
More about Mike Dellosso...