Start by marking “Scream” as Want to Read:
Scream

Scream

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  76 reviews
While talking to his friend on the phone, Mark Stone is startled by a cacophony of otherworldly screams. Seconds later, a tragic accident claims his friend’s life. When this happens several more times--screams followed by an untimely death--he is compelled to act.

Battling his failure as a husband and struggling with his own damaged faith, Mark embarks on a mission to find
Published February 11th 2009 by Realms

To ask other readers questions about Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scream

Trinity Rose
I wasn’t required to write a review of Scream by Mike Dellosso, but after reading it I wanted everyone to know what an excellent book this is.
This is the first book I’ve read by Mike Dellosso and I’ve found another favorite author.
I just love this book; Scream is full of mystery, suspense and adrenaline rushing scenes.
It is a book that makes you think and want to do something about all of the lost people you meet. Everyone is going to die, but they don’t have to be lost.
The character Mark
Kristy
First off: I thought the plot for this book was a brilliant idea. Someone answering the phone only to hear screams that predict the person's coming death...and the screams turn out to be the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" from hell, therefore a warning that the person is on their way there. Very brilliant and unique; 5 stars to that thought right there.

Second: I'm sorry, but if I kept answering the phone and hearing the screaming that predicted death, I would just stop answering my phone!!

Thi
T.E. George
Mike Dellosso delivers a knockout in his sophomore suspense novel, Scream. The hero, Mark, is an average guy haunted by a terrible mistake that has driven his wife away and left him questioning everything. Then one day Mark is talking to a friend on the phone when they are interrupted by horrible screams. A few minutes later, Mark’s friend is dead. What follows is one man’s realization that there is something more than this life.

Scream has everything a good suspense story should: a flawed but de
Alexandria
I'm very perplexed about the high ratings this book received, especially those that accompanied words like "a real thriller". I had to wonder if I was reading the same book - I'm not even joking when I say this, I had to examine everything about my book and compare it to the one featured here just to make sure they are both truly one and the same.

For me this book was horrible. I would say the storyline was vapid but I'm unsure about what the storyline actually was. There is no real depth here,
Voni Harris
The plot of Mike Dellosso's Scream revolves around a man who hears hellish screams when he's on the phone with certain people...people who end up dead shortly after the phone call. This is confusing enough to him, until he is on the phone with his estranged wife (whom he still loves) and hears the screams. Will he be able to find her in time to save her?

I'm tempted to talk about the major plot twist, but I won't, in the interest of those who haven't read the book. Suffice to say, I thought Mr. D
Michele Webb)
"Do I know where I'll go when I die?"

The major theme in this heart pounding, breathing stealing book: Do you hear the screams of hell coming for you?

I started reading this book around 7 pm and couldn't tear my eyes from the pages until I finished shortly before 12.

Just when you thought you figured it out, a curve ball was thrown.

This may be just an entertaining thriller, but it's a story that will have you looking into your own soul: do you really Trust Jesus and Accepted Him or do you laugh a
Beata
When good and nice people die and go to hell it makes you seriously think about your own life and ask yourself some questions... Can I be sure I go to Heaven? Isn't my life just some religious routine? Maybe I am just playing being a Christian? What if I die tomorrow? Today? Great book! It has mystery, suspense but it isn't just an entertaining thriller, but a story that has you looking into your own soul...
The book seems a little ani traditional christianity... Through my life I've met many dif
Theresa Abney
Oh, sweet Jesus.

I feel tricked. Thank goodness this book was free, because had I paid for it I would be straight up belligerent at this point. What started out as a relatively enjoyable scary story quickly deteriorated into the author forcing an insular religious agenda upon me. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ugh... and it wasn't even subtle. How about an allegory? Everyone likes a good allegory. No, it was in your face, agree with me or burn in hell for all of eternity.

Oh and if I ever see or hear the
Jen Walker
Sometimes I really don't understand how I end up with bible thumping "thrillers". I picked this up thinking it would be something exciting to read but no......religious bible bits everywhere and a not great plot. I had to just skim the last 30 or so pages so I could just be done already. Awful unbelievable plots with backwoods hick law enforcement that don't even know how to spell kidnapping. Thank goodness this was free.
Michelle Shealy
I don't usually enjoy reading faith based books.. I prefer crime/scary stuff. This was a crime book..with a faith background. I actually enjoyed reading it. Sometimes faith based will try to hit you over the head with it..but this one was more subtle. Got the point across without being annoying about it. Well written.
Sara
This book was unbareable by the end. Had to skim it at the end because I couldn't read another internal monolague re: Jesus and their souls. Not to mention all the divorce talk over A KISS!! Sorry, but I like my horror to scare me, not pontificate endlessly and annoy me. Total flake out wrap up at the end as well.
Heartofkenna
Well developed plot and characters destroyed by the overtly religious interruptions of Jesus.
CJ
What if death and hell stared you in the face?

For Mark Stone it had come close enough. Every time he had a phone line conversation with another soul, it was interrupted by terrifying voices. A cacophony of screams. What was this and how come the one he spoke to would have their line cut out before their untimely death?

This throws the idea of death and peril into Mark's mind as this curse, this vision makes him race against the clock. Then he realizes that it is inevitable with his own power.

And
Kelly
Another great suspenseful novel by Mike Delosso. This story was very thought-provoking and realistic. There are four females who get abducted and the story as to why they are abducted is as unusual as their abductor. The story kept me routing for these women to escape. Mike also had me completely fooled by the abductor, and his identity came as a breath-taking twist. Again, if you like a book that holds your attention, driving you to keep turning pages, this is one you're going to want to read.
Gloria
The story was a five star thrill ride. I think the author's zeal is admirable, but I guess I'm not the audience the book is for, especially the author's letter to readers at the end.

The main character is Mark Stone. He was caught by his wife with another woman, so they are now separated. He was on the phone with one of their mutual friends when they both heard these horrible, terrible screams seeming to come from hell for five seconds and then stopped. The friend was killed in a car crash secon
Crystal
Scream starts off with a bang, imagine being on the phone with your best friend, both of you hearing these eerie screams coming through the phone and the next thing you know, you are hearing your best friend's car crash and he's not responding. That's how it all starts for Mark Stone. Mark is working hard and dealing with a separation with his wife and his own grief. Then the screams happen again and someone else dies. This keeps happening.

At the same time the police are investigating what could
Nikole Hahn
Scream by Mike Dellosso begins with Mark Stone talking on the phone to his friend just before hellish screams break their connection. Both of them hear the screams, but none of them can explain it until Mark's friend dies in a fiery crash. The screams throughout the book are a precursor to someone's death, and later Mark realizes that each of those who died went to hell.

Mark himself is an unbeliever separated from his wife, Cheryl. Cheryl is having a difficult time emotionally forgiving Mark fo
Kelly
Scream is the first book I have read by Mike Dellosso. After reading it, I am definitely interested in getting my hands on The Hunted.

I was touched how the truth really never leaves us. Scream reminded me how important it is to share our faith and let people in on the saving love of Jesus Christ. Truly there is a time in our lives where we will breathe our last breath. This is true for us, and it is true for those we love. But do the people we love know God?

Two stories begin and eventually ent
Melanie
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R11WP692...
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Scream is the second book I've read by Mike Dellosso and, like Frantic, I loved it! Scream was such a great suspense novel that had some supernatural elements. The book definitely made me think about how everyone has an appointment with death and the importance of trusting in Jesus alone for salvation.

I really liked the characters. I was surprised that women were kidnapped in Scre
Richard
The hook to this book is electrifying: Mark Stone hears blood-curdling screams when he is on the phone with someone. Shortly after their conversation is finished, the person dies. Where are the screams coming from and why are all these people dying?

Then there is a second plot-line entailing somone kidnapping women and locking them in an abandoned barn.

How are these two stories connected and how in the world is this a Christian book?

Mike Dellosso does an admirable job keeping you on the edge of y
Melissa
I did not win this book on Goodreads. I started this book and got 17 pages into it before I realized that I had already read it. This book, believe it or not, is Christian Horror fiction. It is good versus evil with the characters calling upon God to get them through their ordeals. It is similar to the good versus evil in Steven King's books and just as weird.
Wendy
3.5-Stars

Really creepy!
When Mark Stone hears the screams through the phone while talking with a friend, he’s a bit unsettled but writes it off as some odd interference thing ... until he hears the horrible crash moments later … a crash that kills that same friend.

Then it happens again: same screams through the phone while talking with a man who dies moments later from what looks like a heart attack.

As if that’s not creepy enough, there’s a man who refers to himself as Judge kidnapping women out
Mari
I picked this book up when Borders was going out of business. The story was decent but the tone was a bit too preachy for me. The book focuses on Mark Stone who has recently separated from his wife because he cheated on her. Stone grew up in a very religious family but fell away from the faith. He begins hearing horrific screams while talking to friends and family on the phone right before they meet their untimely demise which terrifies him.

In the area he lives in, two women have been abducted a
Jocelyn
The book sounded good on the back cover. The storyline was ok, but it left huge holes as to what exactly the supernatural element was. I liked the story, even with its inconsistencies until it went ultra religious out of nowhere. It came off as religious propaganda in the last quarter.
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
I love thrillers and this one did not disappoint! Mike Dellosso created characters that were very believable. People that you wanted to cheer on and tell them not to give up hope. The pace of the book was perfect - it kept you turning the pages, but did not give away any secrets too soon.

Scream really starts out as two stories - and as the book progresses the two stories combine to make for a great ending! I especially loved the way the message of Christ was delivered without getting "pushy" or
Jeremy Gallegos
Not bad for what it is. Without giving away much detail, there are two plot lines that intersect at the end of the book. Most of my rating comes from the fact that, while I really liked one plot line, the other was just okay. The story line that I think was 'just okay' bothered me only because of the style. I prefer more subtle approaches to 'the message.' When the message is overt, I think the style becomes compromised. Although, there is a good subtle and, I think, more powerful message convey ...more
Dan Rowling
I really liked this book. If there was anything that made me only give it 4 stars would be just a little more depth so that I couldn't have predicted the end so easily. For me, that did not detract any from the book. The thing that I LOVED about this book is how Mr. Dellosso worked in the Gospel message throughout. I know that some unsaved people that read this did not like this, but if Mr. Dellosso did not work that into his book, then he would not be obeying one of Christ's commandments. We ar ...more
Jean
A subtle theme is woven throughout the story--we all have an appointment with God. The author brings forth an excellent plot, and at the same time presents some very thought-provoking ideals. The story centers around the main character, Mark, who has recently separated from his wife. He begins to hear screams (this is a little unbelievable) during phone calls and each time the person he is talking to dies shortly after the conversation. The plot thickens when he receives a phone call from his es ...more
Jeff Carpenter
Not as good as some of the authors other works but still an interesting read. Parts of the story were really good but others really drug out. I plan to read more from this author though.
Audrey Grant
I was leery of this book when I read some of the previews, thinking this might be way over the top for me. But I was very pleasantly surprised! The screams on the phone were never really figured out or explained why they started or stopped. That stumped me and ended up giving only 4 stars.
But the author did a tremendous job of describing feelings, emotions, the way each person looked, stood, dressed, etc.. in a new and unique way. And was able to keep his bad guy a seceret up until right near th
  • Shade
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Sorcerer
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Vanish
  • Never Let You Go
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Silent Kills
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Nobody
  • The Justice Game
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Refuge on Crescent Hill
Mike Dellosso, writing also under the pen name Michael King, is the author of numerous novels of suspense, including Darkness Follows, Darlington Woods, and Scream. Mike is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers and is a popular conference and workshop teacher. He earned his BA degree from Messiah College and his MBS from Master's International School of Divinity. He lives in Hanover, ...more
More about Mike Dellosso...
The Hunted: A Novel Darlington Woods Frantic Rearview (7 Hours #1) Darkness Follows