Start by marking “Perfect Pitch: The Art of Selling Ideas and Winning New Business” as Want to Read:
Perfect Pitch: The Art of Selling Ideas and Winning New Business

Perfect Pitch: The Art of Selling Ideas and Winning New Business

A professional "pitching coach" for one of the world's largest marketing conglomerates, Jon Steel shares his secrets and explains how you can create presentations and pitches that win hearts, minds, and new business. He identifies the dos and don'ts and uses real-world examples to prove his points. If you make pitches for new business, this is the perfect book for you.
Published October 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Pitch

Brent Dixon
Aug 22, 2008 Brent Dixon rated it it was amazing
This is not only an awesome resource on pitching and presenting, it helped me to refine my creative process across the board. Highly recommended.
Tomas Bartl
Nov 17, 2011 Tomas Bartl rated it really liked it
Perfect Pitch is probably the best book about presentations and presenting that I have ever read. Gets really to the core of any good presentation (crafting of an idea, developing a story around it, delivering the idea) instead of dealing only with creating the right "slides". That was probably my main problem I had with another book with the similar topic: Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery

The reason I haven't given this book five stars is twofold. First, I have
Christy Johnson
Jun 19, 2011 Christy Johnson rated it really liked it
I have yet to read a business book that really kept me engaged, which is why I couldn't give this 5 stars. The concept of this book is very solid and definitely transforms your ideas on presentations/pitches. A couple of my favorite small tid-bits:

- Don't say "we've got a great presentation for you"
- If your audience already knows something, acknowledge it and move on
- Use personal stories
- Don't always use Apple and Nike as your examples
- The data dump must be part of the process, not the pres
Betsy
Sep 20, 2009 Betsy rated it it was amazing
this book is EPIC. everyone in business should read it. my prof at state, who taught law and business ethics, told me to read it. everything about it is a learning experience. i read it two times after the first and told my dad to read it. he read it and was blown away (mind you, he's read just about everything). he even emailed the author and thanked him for inspiring him to become a better businessman. he mentioned that his daughter (me) was graduating from msu in a few weeks that year. the au ...more
Reed
Sep 09, 2014 Reed added it
Excellent book on how to get over the nervousness and paranoia of presenting in front of small and large groups of people. This book teaches the idea that in order to reach an audience effectively, that you must use emotion. Also, great ideas on how to avoid being boring, knowing information/vs memorizing it, and how the big fish in the pond isn't always the survivor. Great read! What does everyone else think? What industry do you work? Or what points in the book have you found helpful?
Very curi
Sep 21, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Good read. There are some really insightful bits on preparing for a presentation, giving a presentations, and pitching in general. Jon Steel rights with a bit of sarcasm, which makes his books enjoyable. If you're in the advertising business, or you're in any business where you need to pitch or present, I highly recommend this one.
Miguel Gonzalez
Aug 29, 2010 Miguel Gonzalez is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Jon Steel's "Truth, Lies and Advertising" in the 1990s. It is perhaps the best first-person telling of what it'l like being an account planner at an advertising agency. While "Perfect Pitch" isn't about account planning or advertising strategy per se, it covers the most important tool in a planner's belt -- how to give a persuasive, un-boring presentation.
Katie
Mar 30, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Pretty good so far, as usual with consultants its more a case of being able to point to him in order to avoid making mistakes you already know are being made, but there is loads of great stuff about making an impact, avoiding idiocy etc.
Henry Manampiring
May 25, 2015 Henry Manampiring rated it liked it
A very useful book if you work in advertising. If you don't but your life depends on presentation, it is still relevant half of the time. The universal learning ia how to become a more engaging and persuasive presenter of idea, and hence, more effective.
Felipe
Feb 15, 2011 Felipe rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
The Perfect Pitch is the art of presentation giving from an advertising perspective. Steel keeps using a lot of examples on his book, but they just fit into his writing.

This book is also great for creatives, refining the creative process while thinking on a pitch or a campaign.

Recommended.
brian
Apr 18, 2007 brian rated it really liked it
Fantastic advice whether you're pitching or simply presenting.

Close your email and get to winning!
Heather Friedman
Mar 09, 2010 Heather Friedman rated it really liked it
The art of presentation giving from an advertising perspective. Great examples, rules and interesting case studies on what makes presentations go from good to great.
Vic
Mar 01, 2011 Vic rated it it was ok
keeping in mind that self help (even of the business sort) are my least favorite kind of books, this one was good
Arthur Charles Duhamel
First section on "Presentation Crimes" is mad engaging. Not an easy read at all, but every paragpraph makes you want to read the next..
Amy
Oct 23, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
THis guy Jon Steel is hilarious....it is a book on advertising pitches that can easily translate into any pitch
Kieran
Kieran rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Alexander Stratilatov
Alexander Stratilatov rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
Natasha Deyanova
Natasha Deyanova rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Maestroj
Maestroj rated it really liked it
May 04, 2009
Digitalwaveriding
Digitalwaveriding rated it really liked it
May 04, 2010
Jordan Childs
Jordan Childs rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Lavesh Kumar
Lavesh Kumar rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Jens Munkeby
Jens Munkeby rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Angel
Apr 02, 2013 Angel rated it really liked it
This books teach me how to tell history and specifically how to do this in the agency enviroment
Tre
Tre rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2009
Gina Waldhorn
Gina Waldhorn rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2009
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Neha Singh
Neha Singh rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Edward Blake
Edward Blake rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
  • Hoopla
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company
  • Baked In: Creating Products and Businesses That Market Themselves
  • The Art of Client Service, Revised and Updated Edition: 58 Things Every Advertising & Marketing Professional Should Know
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Brand Gap
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business
  • Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
  • Sorry for the lobsters
  • Bill Bernbach's Book: A History of Advertising That Changed the History of Advertising

“The author and screenwriter William Goldman says that "the key to all story endings is to give the audience what it wants, but not in the way it expects.” 0 likes