New Skies: An Anthology of Today's Science Fiction

New Skies: An Anthology of Today's Science Fiction

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
New Skies...imaginative stories for a new generation of science fiction fans. Here are writers such as Philip K. Dick, Orson Scott Card, Jane Yolen, Greg Bear, Kim Stanley Robinson, Steven Gould, Connie Willis, Spider Robinson, and many more. Here is a careening adventure along the outside of a tower looming miles above the ground, and a tale of desperate survival on the d...more
Published July 11th 2004 by Tor Teen (first published 2003)

Wealhtheow
PNH is talented at shifting the gold from the dross: his collections are always better than the generally crap anthologies usually produced.
A personal favorite is Terry Bisson's "They're Made Out of Meat," in which aliens about to make First Contact with us are horrified by what they find. Sci fi short stories are much more likely to have a surprise one-two punch at the end, one that warps assumptions made during the story. This anthology has some great ones: Spider Robinson's "Serpents' Teeth,...more
Res
Apr 11, 2007 Res rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
Again aimed at teens; again with the whiny people with trivial problems.

Has Terry Bisson's "They're Made Out Of Meat," for which alone it would be worth the cover price.

Other terrific stories:

Geoffrey Landis' "A Walk in the Sun" (about a teen stranded on the moon, and hey! her problems are not trivial!)

Spider Robinson's "Serpents' Teeth" (about a world where kids can divorce their parents)

Debra Doyla and James D. Macdonald's "Uncle Joshua and the Grooglemen" (a post-plague story that starts o...more
Sparrow
It's an anthology of science fiction, that's all been written since 1981. The book came out in 2003. If you thought science fiction was dead -- as I certainly did -- (or had forgotten that it existed), this book grabs you by your shoelaces and ties them onto a nearby gremulon (a 26th Century streetcar). I just made that up, but you start to love inventing the falsely futurist. Too bad that a nuclear war has occurred in nearly every story. What's up with that? Can't we envision something nice, li...more
Emily
There is some real gold inside of this anthology. Some of the writing I thought was targeted toward a younger audience. I enjoyed the sensible science fiction though. Nothing was over-the-top ridiculus or confusing or over-detailed like some sci fi writers out there. As a reader, I felt I was given choice selected samples of sci fi stories. Even if I didn't like one short story, I had another chance in a few pages to read one I did like. The stories are diverse and individually worthy for the at...more
Tina Dalton
Mar 28, 2012 Tina Dalton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wendi
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi, ya
I'm not usually big on short stories, but I really enjoyed this collection. The editor did an excellent job of gathering several different sub-sets in the genre of science fiction. The stories range from comedic to dark to entertaining. I really liked reading short stories by different well known sci-fi authors, such as Philip Dick and Orson Scott Card. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys sci-fi.
Illyria
Great compilation of inspiring SF short stories, many of them winners of Hugo and Nebula awards from authors such as Connie Willis, Philp K. Dick, Greg Bear and Orson Scott Card. The length of the works compiled here, plus the variety of theme (adventure, coming of age, tolerance, etc) make this an excellent read for young people.
martha
Jul 07, 2007 martha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scifi nerds.
Shelves: genre
YA scifi short story collection. Totally enjoyable. Includes stories by Philip K. Dick, Orson Scott Kard, Jane Yolen, Spider Robinson, Maureen McHugh...

My favorite was "Arthur Sternbach Brings the Curveball to Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. Some fairly straightforward stories, but some with particularly cool concepts.
Missy
A pretty good mix of sci-fi. I think a few of them I read before, one made me laugh out loud, one or two I think I could read to my 5yr old or have him read them to himself. Was a good book to have on the train to read in short bursts.
Andy
A good introduction to SF for younger adult readers, but if you've read a lot of SF in the shorter form, you will most likely get a huge case of Deja Vu - too many stories have appeared in too many other collections....
Katie
I'm not usually a fan of short story anthologies, but this one was fabulous. The first three stories in the book were just riveting. The stories really run the gamut of the SciFi genre, which was fun.
Nicole Bunge
Really good collection of Hugo and Nebula award winners brought together for this YA anthology. Great stories all, good intro to young adults perspective in sci-fi.
Ander
While some stories leave you lost, others are pretty brilliant, like a story about a group of kids training themselves to handle brain-killing math problems.
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sarah Anne
Sarah Anne is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2014
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Stephanie Bibb
Stephanie Bibb marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Kailey Keane
Kailey Keane is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2014
Caitlyn Cody
Caitlyn Cody marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Sally Jessica Hvid
Sally Jessica Hvid marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Kabunka
Kabunka marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
kenneth  h.  robinson
kenneth h. robinson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patrick James Nielsen Hayden, often abbreviated as PNH, is an American science fiction editor, fan, fanzine publisher, essayist, reviewer, anthologist, teacher and blogger. He is a World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award winner (with nine nominations for the latter award), and is a Senior Editor and the Manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books. He changed his last name to "Nielsen Hayden" on his marriag...more
More about Patrick Nielsen Hayden...
Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy Starlight 2 Starlight 1