Start by marking “Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail” as Want to Read:

Disregard the myth of the lone professional “superman” and the rest of our culture’s go-it alone mentality. The real path to success in your work and in your life is through creating an inner circle of “lifeline relationships” – deep, close relationships with a few key trusted individuals who will offer the encouragement, feedback, and generous mutual support every one of ...more
Published May 19th 2009 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Got Your Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Got Your Back

Nick
Mar 02, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing
Keith's second book about good networking, this one focuses on forming a few very deep relationships of people who will tell you the truth even when it's difficult and who will help you when you need it. Of course, the same goes for them -- you've got to be prepared to tell them the truth and help them. Keith cites studies showing that Americans and other busy Westerners have fewer and fewer close friends in this atomistic age. His is a single-handed crusade to reverse that decline, and more ...more
Michael
Aug 04, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
The 4 mind sets: Generosity, Vulnerability, Candor and Accountability

9 steps

Articulate your vision
Find your lifeline relationships
Practice the art of the long slow dinner
Broaden your goal-setting strategy (learning and performance goals)
Create your Personal Success Wheel
Learn to fight
Diagnose your weaknesses
Commit to improvement
Fake it till you make it then make it stick

dedication, discipline and willingness to push through defenses and fears
effort, self-reflection, honesty and perseverance

visi
Adam Jacobson
May 06, 2010 Adam Jacobson rated it liked it
I got this free at an EO (entrepreneur's organization) conference in DC. Got to hear the guy speak also (better known for the bestseller never eat alone which I think I'll buy).
The idea is provocative - who do you have who really pushes you to improve? My answer is not enough people. of course, like many books from speakers with consulting firms, you feel that a 10 page synopsis would tell you what you need to know. of course, that's why I skimmed.

Second thoughts:
There's a gaping whole in the mi
Jay
May 03, 2014 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
I like the attitude that Ferrazzi exudes in his books. He seems very forthcoming and earnest. He seems to really want to help. I thought his first book, "Never Eat Alone", was an excellent book on networking. This book is a different take on networking. It is more of a book about teams and groups, especially groups of personal advisers. He really, really likes this idea. I wasn't as sold on it, given that I'm not a high level executive. His examples start off relate-able, like Weight Watchers ...more
Roger K.
Jun 08, 2014 Roger K. rated it liked it
This is a solid book, yet it is difficult not to compare it to Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time and find it a bit lacking.

The most interesting part of the book are the Four Mindsets to build what Ferrazzi describes as "lifeline relationships". They are vulnerability, candor, generosity, and accountability. He provides tips on how to build each mindset and then create groups that reinforce them among members.

If you are an entrepreneur or business owner, y
Douglas
Jun 07, 2009 Douglas rated it really liked it
Keith's first book was much better.

I am already really open, blunt and vulnerable with a number of people, so i found that a lot of what Keith was recommending, I already was doing. It is great advice.

I particularly like how life is about giving. Its true and something I've only recently discovered.
Stephanie
Jul 31, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
I am only reading this one because I have to listen to Keith speach, plus work gave me the book for free. So far its not the type of self help book I read but it's interesting. I finished the book and it was interesting and motivating but really not my type of book.
Jeremy
Jul 14, 2009 Jeremy rated it really liked it
I found the book to give good advice on picking your team of advisers. Building a team of people to push you through to the next level is an important aspect of career development. My team is a mix of friends, family, and co-workers. There are only a select few that “have my back.”
Brian
Jul 13, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
Well thought out and with lots of clear, actionable advice. A great sequel to Ferrazzi's first book.
Melissa
Listening on audio. Boring, didn't finish.
Kent White
Great book. A little too long, but one of the best books I've found on the "how" of building great professional relationships.
L
Sep 20, 2016 L rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Rather disappointing and long winded book with a lot of repeated information. It felt like a sell for FG Consulting and gloating about his friends and accomplishments. The book starts with the four mindsets of generosity, vulnerability, candor and accountability in establishing "life lines". Pretty common stuff that you could get from a TED talk easily and with more entertainment value. Your members have to have commitment, comprehension (know how), chemistry and curiosity, and be diverse. ...more
Thuy Kha
Sep 27, 2016 Thuy Kha rated it it was amazing
extremely useful. there is no success when u r alone. This book also helps us the ways, steps to find who is got our back, set up our goals. we can change the way we think, work after reading this book.
Cara
Oct 01, 2011 Cara marked it as to-read
Adored this at first; now I'm stuck. I don't want to read it any more, probably because the idea of trying to establish these relationships seems exhausting and difficult now, whereas at first it seemed like the magical solution to all of my problems. Blah.

...

Out of renewals. Left off p. 154.

Notes:
4 mindsets to building lifeline relationships:
- generosity (mutual support, safe place)
- vulnerability
- candor
- accountability

Can have people at whatever level of careers/hierarchy; within the trusted
Ed Ranta
Sep 09, 2009 Ed Ranta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: business professionals
Kunal Sampat
Dec 21, 2015 Kunal Sampat rated it it was amazing
Keith Ferrazi is a relationship guru. His work inspires me to make meaningful connections and how I can create value for my network. This book has a well organized framework and detailed tactical suggestions that you are put to work right away. The author talks about 4 key mindsets (concepts) - vulnerability, generosity, candor and intimacy that are the foundation of lifelong relationships. I specially liked the goal setting section where the author explains the need to not only set goals but ...more
Missy
Sep 23, 2009 Missy rated it really liked it
This book has many great tidbits on attaining your business and personal goals. It gives you plenty to think about, especially people who are independent and driven, yet consider themselves loners. The book will have you evaluating all of your relationships. It smacks of truth. This is one that requires a reread, so that you may grasp the signifigance of what the author is conveying. I will definitely reread before the New Year as it has the appeal to improve yourself and solid actions to get ...more
Taylor Ellwood
May 02, 2013 Taylor Ellwood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Once again Keith Ferrazzi reveals the value and importance of cultivating genuine relationships in order to realize success at your business and life. I read this book during a difficult period of my life and the insights and wisdom that the author provided, especially on being vulnerable helped me reach out to my network during my time of need with a clarity and honesty that showed me just how much I am valued by that community, and made me want to give back even more. That's the real gift of ...more
Amanda
May 30, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
I love how Ferrazzi discusses the 4 necessary items for strong relationships (Vulnerability, Accountability, Generosity, and Candor), and how he shows a need for relationships with these items in order grow and move past the hurdles that currently hold you back. Great business book for leaders and individual contributors alike to create stronger bonds at work and in personal life to help you achieve your goals. Makes me want to start a group like the ones he recommends in order to continue to ...more
Jim
Dec 05, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
Just finished his "Never Eat Alone" and thought I would knock out the companion to it. 15% into it and I think it will be good.

Ok, so I am a slow reader. Just finished it this evening. A good book that I find myself thinking about a lot. It talks a lot about how each of us is not an island. We need others to be successful but what liked was it was not saying go out and "Friend 1000" people; just make sure you 2 or 3 really good friends. Once you did then you could move forward. Worth the read f
Jojo A
Mar 14, 2011 Jojo A rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book, I recommend you read it while you are chilled and while you are seeking developing in your working area or worried about some sort of situations that you want to handle. It's a book with lots of information, therefore I take time to finish it, i'm chilled while I read it because it's not a novel. Keith is telling his story and other people's story, whilst you learn and digest whatever he is delivering to you.

So the book is excellent, just read it if you are concerned
Aug 01, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. It is so up my alley talking about relationship science and how it can transform your life and work. I highly recommend this to everyone, especially if you are working in business as a manager and want to increase the effectiveness of your team in reaching their goals. I honestly might buy this book and I cannot wait to start Keith Ferrazzi's other book "Never Eat Alone"
Adam Goyer
Mar 06, 2011 Adam Goyer rated it really liked it
Not as impactful as his first book for me, it still filled a much needed whole in the authors work. Keith's first book emphasized the need to go far and wide with your network, maintaing relationships with a lot of people. This book emphasizes the need to also go deep with a close circle of advisers and friends who refuse to let each other fail - and outlines strategies to develop those deep relationships in our lives.

Time well spent as an audio book.
Kara
Sep 08, 2009 Kara rated it it was ok
This came recommended by a group of West Michigan MSU alumni. I thought the ideas were relevant, however the process of finding the three people you can trust that you can turn to in challenging times might be hard to find, in my opinion. The process seems long and daunting, but I suppose it could work if you were committed to it. This book makes you think about who you work with that you can trust to give you realistic feedback to help you excel in you career.
Stephen Reynolds
Oct 08, 2014 Stephen Reynolds rated it it was amazing
The focus of this book is creating the strong relationships that will save your butt, and put you on the path to success. I recommend this book highly. Interestingly I just read "SUPERCONNECT" by Richard Koch the author who wrote 80/20. In Superconnect Richard argued for "weak link" connections. This book focuses on the exact opposite. The exciting thing is that both books are correct. We need both Strong and Weak connections or networks.

Stephen Reynolds
Max Nova
Mar 21, 2014 Max Nova rated it liked it
Largely a rehash of "Never Eat Alone" - Ferrazzi's book differentiates itself a little in his focus on the importance of vulnerability and steps you can take to build a support network. Interestingly, he draws attention to secret societies at Yale as institutions that do a great job of creating support networks built on radical honesty and vulnerability. However, he toots his own horn a bit too much in this book and it comes off more like an infomercial for Ferrazzi Greenlight than a real book
Nicole
Jun 19, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Great book. Really enjoyed his first book, this book brings up excellent points about team building , and realizing you can't do everything yourself . There is nothing truly revolutionary here-it's all been said before but presentation amd style may be very appealing to some and nudge them into action. Highly recommend reading this , and Never Eat Alone as well. Must read !
Chad Stutzman
Jul 20, 2011 Chad Stutzman rated it really liked it
Great book. I really resonated with the idea of building support networks in your life in order to grow and succeed. Ferrazzi gives great practical insights on how to do it and many real life examples from his own life and people he has worked with. If you want to grow a sa leader and grow your organization this is a great book to read and have your senior people read.
David
Jul 19, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
The focus of this book builds off Ferrazzi's other project, Never Eat Alone. It stresses the importance of relationships and getting beyond the surface.

He supports his work with examples how a person would nurture the new level of relationship with others. One idea, was to form a small group of people who agree to speak about their lives and give honest constructive feedback on ideas.
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2009 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Hey businesspeople! You can't do it all on your own! You need to have some human relationships! Buy this book and learn how to do it!!I believe that is the point of this book.
But I wonder why business book authors have to be so...self-referential. It grates on the nerves. Like listening to the kid in class who can't stop talking about how rich his parents are.
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Flight Plan: The Real Secret of Success
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
  • How to Drive Your Competition Crazy: Creating Disruption for Fun and Profit
  • Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • The One to One Future
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
Keith Ferrazzi is one of the rare individuals who discovered the essential formula for making his way to the top -- a powerful and balanced combination of marketing acumen and networking savvy. Both Forbes and Inc. magazines have designated him one of the world's most "connected" individuals.

As Founder and CEO of Ferrazzi Greenlight, he provides market leaders with advanced strategic consulting an
More about Keith Ferrazzi...