Start by marking “Dragon's Heart” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Heart

Dragon's Heart (Pit Dragon #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  868 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Planet Austar IV changes under embargo. Return of Jakkin and Akki 17 arouses mixed emotions. They now survive brutal cold night, and telepath pictures with dragons, each other. Such knowledge could transform or destroy the planet. When Akki wants to finish medical training at the Rokk and start research experiments, former enemy kidnaps her. Can Jakkin save her?
Published May 4th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Heart

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul Cude
Dragons/Serpents
136th out of 329 books — 204 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
412th out of 866 books — 1,758 voters

More lists with this book...

Cait
A sequel! A sequel! Look -- it's book four at last!

I reread the first three just before picking up this one; the transition was certainly jarring and I saw a few errors in consistency, but overall this book fits in very well with the older books.

That's good and bad, as it turns out. The main thing that drove me nuts in the earlier books, especially the first two, was people jumping to conclusions instead of talking to each other, and most of the arguments between Akki and Jakkin made me want to
Jessica
First of all, you have to understand that Jakkin Stewart is probably my first "literary character crush." He's handsome, smart, strong, kind . . . AND HAS HIS OWN DRAGON. I read the original trilogy at a young, impressionable age, and determined that a)I must have my own dragon and b)I loved Jakkin. So when I found out that after 25+ years, Yolen had written a sequel, I nearly fainted. First thought: YAY! Second thought: WHAT IF IT'S TERRIBLE?!

Ah, Jane, I knew you wouldn't let me down!

Yolen sli
Kristi
I quite liked my return to the Pit Dragon Chronicles in this most recent addition to Yolen's series. I didn't reread the other books before I picked this one up, and didn't find it difficult to remember where I'd left off, even though it had been several years since I read the third in the series.

Jakkin and Akki return from their exile in the mountains completely changed and they find that the world they left behind has changed in their absence as well. They decide to hide their new telepathic
Skip
After their return from hiding in the caves and their evolution into a hybrid species, Akki and Jakkin find themselves forced to deal with a changed world where bonders are now free. Akki does to Rokk to try to find the science behind their evolution and is kidnapped as part of a political battle for a seat in the senate. Jakkin is frantic and uses his dragons to help find and rescue Akki. I liked this fourth story better than the earlier ones.
An Odd1
"He couldn't have been more wrong" p 291. I like author Yolen's style. Usually. Lullabies and poems intersperse with political wrangling - boring, or simple straightforward. "Yes, his first line of defense had to be delay. Foot drag. Twist an ankle. Start a fight. Fall down. All of the above" p 290.

Although I found some parts confusing, I'm glad the author's planned triology expanded into "Chronicles". This book didn't need so much repetition, Preface, even political arguments "vote for the one
Lily
Lots of excitement happens in this book! I believe this is the last of the Pit Dragon series... Though the way how this book ended, there could EASILY be a book five in the future. MORE CREEPY CULT PLEASE!~ I wanna know what'll happen to those dudes! And the future of the dragons!

I like how Akki has her own scenes in this book, besides Jakkin. :) Her side of the story was just as exciting as his! Especially near the end when (view spoiler) My most fav
Janni
Mar 28, 2009 Janni added it
I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. :-) Book four of the Pit Dragon books definitely lived up to the first three, and felt very much in tone with them even though it's been more than 20 years since the the third book was published.

Whether you've read the other books before or not, you'll definitely want to read or reread the original Pit Dragon trilogy first. Dragon's Heart picks up literally where A Sending of Dragons leaves off, and deals with some of the consequences of wh
Anne Osterlund
Yay!!! Finally, after I know not how long, there is a fourth Pit Dragon Chronicles book. I am not generally a huge fan of books about dragons, but the Pit Dragon Chronicles are an exception. With two wonderful lead characters, especially Jakkin, a young man raised in bondage with absolutely nothing going for him except an extraordinary love of one very special dragon, the books are wonderfully written, especially the first two books, Dragon's Blood and Heart's Blood, and intriguing. The third bo ...more
Kathryn
Well. It was good to see the characters again. I loved all the bits with the dragons, the development with Likkarn was interesting...y'know I'm having a hard time getting enthusiastic about this book. It wasn't a bad, certainly (the political bits were a muddled mess, but I felt the same way about parts of the second book), and there were a couple parts that were, I don't know, nice? Not sure if I lost interest because it's been more than twenty years between reading this and reading the third b ...more
Sarah (Inklings Read)
Ahhh I’m so happy that I’ve finally received the opportunity to read/review this book! What a treat! This was the series that first sparked my interested in reading. I picked up Dragon’s Blood way back in my middle school days and I was instantly sold after the first few chapters. I fell in love with the rich world and amazing characters. I’m happy to say that all of those things I loved still remain in Dragon’s Heart.

This continues where A Sending of Dragons, book three, left off. For those who
Kathy Martin
It was good to get back to Austar IV after many years away. I think I read the previous book in this series in 1987. This one has been sitting on my stack since the beginning of 2010. Thankfully, the book included both an introduction and a preface which did a lot to get me back up to speed on what I missed.

This one begins with Jakkin and Akki escaping from their captivity at the hands of the trogs and returning to the dragon nursery that was their home. But after being gone a year and because o
Ben Cowell
Great addition to the trilogy! Our akki and jakkin are growing up and changing the world; Austar that is.

fast paced plot with plenty of action mixed with character development. it has dragons!..once I read a review that said dragons are like bacon they just make things better and this is in no way untrue in this novel. can't wait for the next one.
Morgan Lee
I actually read this series when I was a kid, and decided to reread it before suggesting it to the girl I nanny for. I quickly found myself engrossed once again with Jakkin and his adventure to steal an dragon egg and train his own dragon. Jakkin is a wonderful character, set apart from the others but always willing to help anyone he considers a friend. Really this series as a whole, including the more recently written 4th book, are great for kids who love the fantasy genera. These books are not ...more
Brenna
It was okay... The first book was by far the strongest, with a good, solid plot. After that, however, the plot in each book seemed like a subset of the first book's plot. The only reason I was driven to keep reading this series was that I had formed an attachment to the characters. (view spoiler) This one was slightly better than the third book.
Ove
Nick
This is legitimately book four of a trilogy, written years later because fans convinced the author that the trilogy left several things unresolved.
Well, the book does resolve at least most of those issues, although it brings up a couple of new plot threads at the last minute that would make interesting spinoffs, and the "trog" subplot isn't resolved at all.
Technically SF, but the story style and some of the elements feel more like fantasy in their execution, much like McCaffrey's Dragonriders bo
Sydnee Burgess
This series, though intended for young audiences, is still beloved by myself. It was emotionally charged and I enjoyed it immensely.
Kyle Dunham
Great book, but after getting to know these characters over the 3 previous books, the ending wasn't great.
Patty
It looks like this series is finally, truly finished...until you read the "encyclopedia pages" at the end, you almost think there could be one more, but those pages rather finalize it. There's really a lot of difference in the writing style in this book, when you compare it to the previous ones...and that may be due to the long gap of time between them. There's a more modern feel to this book, the setting and events seem very contemporary...whereas the old books had the true fantasy world/differ ...more
Alex Scholz-lague
A wonderful conclusion to Jane Yolen's pit dragon chronicles, Dragon's Heart ties up the last of the loose ends that came with Jakkin and Akki's return home. Changing perspectives and guessing games made the story all the more interesting, even going as far as to show the limits of the characters and making further connections between them. A fantastic end to a wonderful series.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Jane Yolen did a really good job with making this novel fit with the others, despite the third volume having been published twenty years before this one, and was definitely never bored with it. But even with the Austar IV Encyclopedia entry-epilogue at the end, it still didn't seem quite finished to me. Not that I want the author to keep dragging the series out, but I wish the end had been just a little more final.
Apr 10, 2011 Laura added it
I'm extremely excited to have discovered that Jane Yolen wrote a follow-up book to her Pit Dragon Triology. Considering that it has been so long since the first three, I am a bit disappointed in the characterizations of Heart's Blood's hatchlings. All five of them seem to become very lazy and phlegmatic, without any of Heart's Blood's fighting spirit.
Snow Wolf
It's still a kids book, but worth reading. This was a direct extension of book three and added plot/drama where it didn't need to be. They reintroduced bad guys to threaten the main characters, Akki and Jakkin, but they managed to get through. The plot was thick throughout the book and kept me turning pages, wanting more.
Ojan
I enjoyed the read. Jane Yolen's writing style has changed a little with the 20+ years separating the third book & this fourth installment, but not in a bad way. I found the first third of the book a little more difficult to get into, but after that I could hardly put it down.
Helen
The first 2 books in the series were great. 3 and 4 were so so, guess that's what happens when they books are written 20+ years apart.
Michelle
written years after the first books. Good but a bit disjointed. Story seems pieced together. Definitely finishes the series.
Jesse
I thought it was a goood book to finish the chronicles but i hoped that she would make another book.
Amanda Dotterer
an amazing end to the series! beautifully written, one of my favorite series! jakkinxakki 4ever!
Debbie
May 25, 2009 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a good sequel to the other three pit dragon books even though it took so long to come out.
Kirsten
Not as good as the first three, but a good ending to the original trilogy.
Camilla
Wasn't impressed. This ending kind of deflated the entire 4-book series.
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Dragon of Cripple Creek
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards #1)
  • Dragon Outcast (Age of Fire #3)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • The Book of Air (Dragon Quartet #4)
  • The Sorcerer of Atlas (Slayers, #2)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

Pit Dragon (4 books)
  • Dragon's Blood
  • Heart's Blood
  • A Sending of Dragons
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood