Start by marking “The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden” as Want to Read:
The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden

The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Suppressed by the early Church Fathers who compiled the Bible, these Apocryphal Books have for centuries been shrouded in silence. Now, for the first time in paperbound book, the reader can discover the hidden beauties of the Lost Books.
Published December 1st 1974 by Plume (first published 1926)

Donovan
May 09, 2012 Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very interesting read but a little dry (as many of those religious texts can be). I've always found the old testament to be an interesting read with the Christian-Jewish roots. I've undertaken a bit of investigation in to this particular collection of texts and found that there have been many alterations to the Bible. The alterations (or more accurately 'omissions') come from various religious institutions, so it is no wonder that people are becoming more and more questioning of organi ...more
Tess Rupprecht
There are so many books that were not included in our modern bible. These do not mean that their literary or historical values are of any less. While reading this book, let's keep in mind what the bible teaches.

Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 Greg Dill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for "those other" books not placed into the canon of Scripture. These were intentionally left out of the canon of Scripture because they do not match up with rest of Scripture. These are considered inspirational writings, but not the Word of God. My favorite among them is the Book of Enoch which ironically enough is alluded to in the Book of Jude. Quite an interesting read, especially Enoch's description of the various levels of Heaven.
Gwen
May 30, 2011 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relgion
If you are ever interested in learning more about the gnostic Christian faith and what the books were like this is an excellent book. There are quite a few of the gnostic gospels in this one and they are translated well. There isn't much in the book describing exactly what the gnostics believed, or how they practiced. This is pretty much just the translated books. Either way this is great for anyone curious about the subject.
Jaime Contreras
This was a fascinating journey further into the forgotten books of the Bible. One will learn more about Adam & Eve's other children two daughters, their trials after their expulsion and the journeys of Enoch. There is also much more to the New Testament through shorter epistles gospels and letters.
Keith Wilson
Nov 01, 2014 Keith Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in 1994 actually, and I have it in my reference library today... I also read the book AGAIN in 1995 just after my Baptism because of all the writings in it that tied in with the "Doctrines of Mormonism"! This book is taken from translations in Greek and Hebrew from the Vatican and a couple other sources which were and are kept from the public in the dungeons and basements under Vatican city. Much of what is contained in the Book of Mormon as doctrinal and LDS Doctrines whic ...more
Jay
Aug 31, 2009 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book for the learned.
José Monico
Jan 01, 2015 José Monico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I decided to finish the end of the year with a bit of Christian immersion. I picked up a King James Bible thinking it would have apocryphal and pseudepigraphical inclusions in its tome. Luckily, an acquaintance came to the rescue when I saw my KJV only includes the OT-NT traditional format. I can’t say if the Lost Books of the Bible is exhaustive and complete, but it definitely is comprehensive. As far as its structure, I love the preamble to each new book, and its added support/blurb after each ...more
Adrienna
Once I opened the book, it starts off with Mary's story and a little genealogy concerning her family history: father/mother unable to have a child and then was blessed with a daughter, Mary. The writing is a bit dry and slightly boring just starting out and hope it gets better.

Starting with the book of Mary; seems a tad bit strange that Joachim and Anna were without child, but later the angel spoke to them both separately yet with Anna specifically told her that she would be blessed to have the
Antwon Jackson
Jan 09, 2016 Antwon Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's very good.
Melanie Moreau
May 17, 2014 Melanie Moreau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! These "omitted" books were amazing. I'm not sure why they were omitted, but I feel that as a Christian, it answered some questions that I have always had. I feel that it has brought me closer to God and reinforced my faith.
Oyebanji Samuel
Good and surprising, one will think why the stores were not canonized. T is wonderful
Troy
Apr 04, 2008 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysics
In "The Protoevangelion of James" it explains some of the beliefs about the Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph in the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches. The Gospel of Nicodemus also has some stuff found in Orthodox and Catholic beliefs...
Dan
Jul 16, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating peek at Christian works rejected or ignored by the Church Fathers. From "The Letters of Herod and Pilate" to the multiple suicides of Adam and Eve, these tales, parables, and gospels provide a glimpse of a diverse Christian past.
Emily
Dec 26, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm thoroughly enjoying this. There is a lot there that is of interest to me and will be to anyone who is a scholar of the Bible, religion and history. Would be interesting to know the provenance of all the books.
Sharon E.
I actually have read a little but I can tell I need to come back to this after I read the Lost Teachings of Jesus by Elizabeth Clare Prophet because i want to compare notes.....
Jake Yaniak
Mar 21, 2013 Jake Yaniak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting (and also some bizarre) stuff to be found in this volume. It gets four stars because of the Shepherd of Hermas, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Kyle
Jul 08, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every bible reader I know can tell you the books to the bible but they can't name any of the editors of the bible?
Julie
Jan 18, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting. I'm not going to lose sleep over the content but I think a lot of it is credible.
Cheryl
Aug 10, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating reading. Not really sure if it's all true, but it was interesting to read.
Benjamin
Dec 20, 2009 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
people should read the book of enoch and odes of solomon out of this amazing book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I've read parts of it, but not the entire book.
Abednego Godwin
Abednego Godwin marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Muniru Kazeem
Muniru Kazeem marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Eddie Young
Eddie Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Candy Knotts
Candy Knotts marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Mbuyiselo Mbava
Mbuyiselo Mbava marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
  • The Handy Religion Answer Book
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • The Other Bible
  • The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English
  • Fallen Angels and the Origins of Evil: Why Church Fathers Suppressed the Book of Enoch and Its Startling Revelations
  • The Jesus Papers: Exposing the Greatest Cover-up in History (Plus)
  • New Testament Background: Selected Documents: Revised and Expanded Edition
  • Handbook of Denominations in the United States
  • The Scandal of the Incarnation: Irenaeus Against the Heresies
  • The Crusades: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1
  • The Complete Works
  • Moses and Akhenaten: The Secret History of Egypt at the Time of the Exodus
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • The Bible Story (Ten Volume Set)
  • The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments
  • Asimov's Guide to the Bible: The Old and New Testaments (2 Vol.)
  • Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium