Start by marking “Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)

Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton #3)

She heard him come up behind her, expected him to turn her in his arms and embrace her with a lover's enthusiasm. Instead, his forearm abruptly cut off her supply of air as it pressed into her throat.

A harsh whisper, close to her ear, was the last thing she heard before one abrupt movement snapped her neck.

"Whore," her murderer said. "No better than a Winchester goose."

It
Published June 12th 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Face Down Among the Winchester Geese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Down Among the Winchester Geese

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirThe Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess by Philippa GregoryWolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Best Books About Tudor England
261st out of 529 books — 1,364 voters
A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Daughter of Time by Josephine TeyOne Corpse Too Many by Ellis PetersMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Medieval Mystery Writers
67th out of 80 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Maureen E
Nov 01, 2011 Maureen E rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first few books in this series, but parts of this one severely tested my suspension of disbelief. Not sure if I’ll keep going with the series or not. [Oct. 2011]
Booklogged
Jul 26, 2009 Booklogged rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I am really enjoying this series of murder mysteries that take place during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.
In April 1563, Susanna and her husband, Sir Robert Appleton, courtier and occasional spy for Queen Elizabeth, are residing in London at Sir Robert's insistence, though Susanna would be much happier at Leigh Abbey, her ancestral home in Kent. A mysterious young Frenchwoman comes calling to see Robert. The next day she is found murdered near a brothel, a goose feather lying close to her body.
Lisa
Dec 14, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
After reading her book on how to write historical mysteries, I was of course interested in reading one of her mysteries. This was the first one I laid my hands on. I was intrigued by Lady Appleton's not-so-happily-ever-after marriage and the fact that she actually considers her husband a possible suspect in the murders she is trying to solve.
I enjoyed the voice, setting and other things that made this unique from other historical mysteries, and I will be reading more about Lady Appleton.
Evy
Nov 27, 2011 Evy rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
This is the third in the Face down series. I enjoy these mysteries and the main character is quite independent. I would not put them down as literary masterpieces but for a nice read they are enjoyable. The main Character, Lady Appleton, has been developing as the series progresses and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Janice Jacobovitz
Jul 26, 2016 Janice Jacobovitz rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series that I have read. The existence of a serial killer in Elizabethan England is an interesting premise. I am interested enough to continue with the series. There are some historical discrepancies, so beware if you're a stickler for historical details. I enjoyed the story in spite of the gaps.
Andrea
I am still enjoying this series, though this one seemed a little less developed than previous installments. The dynamic between Susanna and her husband is interesting and sort of unusual, but I have to say, I've been rooting for him to "be disappeared" for the past few books. Not sure I'm getting my wish but I'll take it as a win.
Nicole
Feb 25, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
The personal story line is moving along very well and using the actual historic conflicts in both politics and religion very well. The mysteries are a means to expose the social situation in a time of dramatic changes.
Helen
Feb 22, 2014 Helen rated it did not like it
Terrible! Heaps of historical errors and stilted writing style trying to emulate period England. If you want to see how it's done, try Barbara Hambly & her vampire series.
Jamie
Oooohhhh, I really do dig these Lady Appleton mysteries.. and without going to much into it, what a surprise in the turn of events!!
Lindig
Sep 26, 2010 Lindig rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very interesting, well-written. If you're curious about the Elizabethan age, this would suit you. This is #3 in the series.
Charlene
Jan 27, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it
Finding her husband is less a man than she thought Susanna continues to look for the truth in all areas of society I will continue to follow this series
Meg Mims
Oct 14, 2014 Meg Mims rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was the BEST of the series, in my opinion. Great hook of an opening, a great plot and tension.
Connie Dowell
Connie Dowell rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Shunt
Shunt rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2012
Mari
Mari rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2013
Beka
Apr 15, 2013 Beka rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery. I'll be interested to see how the sub-plot with her husband turns out.
Lisa B
Lisa B rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Jan McClintock
Jan McClintock rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2008
Rekesha
Rekesha rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Gloria Flynn
Gloria Flynn rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Connie
Apr 15, 2012 Connie rated it really liked it
Still enjoying the series.
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
May 04, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • Irene At Large (Irene Adler, #3)
  • The Trip to Jerusalem
  • A Play of Lords (Joliffe the Player, #4)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
aka Kaitlyn Dunnett, Kate Emerson, Kaitlyn Gorton

Kathy Lynn Emerson began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventure series featuring characters from all her favourite television shows. On reaching adulthood, she moved from New York State to attend college in rural Maine. Here she met her future husband in the first week. They married two weeks after graduation and
More about Kathy Lynn Emerson...

Susanna, Lady Appleton (10 books)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #2)
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • Face Down Before Rebel Hooves (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #6)
  • Face Down Across the Western Sea (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #7)
  • Face Down Below the Banqueting House (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #8)
  • Face Down Beside St. Anne's Well (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #9)
  • Face Down O'er the Border (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #10)