Start by marking “Trouble and Her Friends” as Want to Read:
Trouble and Her Friends

Trouble and Her Friends

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Less than a hundred years from now, the forces of law and order crack down on the world of the computer nets. The hip, noir adventurers who get by on wit, bravado, and drugs, and haunt the virtual worlds of the Shadows of cyberspace, are up against the encroachments of civilization. It's time to adapt or die.

India Carless, alias Trouble, got out ahead of the feds and settl
Published June 15th 1995 by Tor Science Fiction (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble and Her Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble and Her Friends

Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonAltered Carbon by Richard K. MorganDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Best of Cyberpunk
43rd out of 206 books — 787 voters
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le GuinTrouble and Her Friends by Melissa ScottOryx and Crake by Margaret AtwoodParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerSanta Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz Recommended Reading
2nd out of 15 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Apr 16, 2011 Shellie (Layers of Thought) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi lovers
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: Tor
Original review post at Layers of Thought.

A futuristic science fiction novel with underground “noir-ish” themes, which takes the reader on a journey via internal biological internet connections into an intriguing online world.

Trouble is well known online as one of the best and most notorious “crackers”. She is a future version of a hacker, where cracking is breaking through IC(E) – the acronym for the complex security systems which simulate actual ice. Intriguingly, web users have connections to
Naamen
It's good to go back to books from my adolescence that have not been visited by the suck fairy. This was most likely the first cyberpunk novel I ever read and definitely the first that I remember. When the lawlessness of the net is lost, when the wild frontier is gone, when you have lawmen who don't understand the net but still feel they have the right to police it - what do you do? Trouble knows what do to, leave in the middle of the night taking all of her equipment and not saying a word to he ...more
Alicja
rating: 5.5/5

There is just so much to think about/analyze with this book I'm not sure where to begin. I'll admit that I'm not familiar with cyberpunk, it has always been on my tbr lists but this is the first I've been able to get to it. Some other reviewers have said that this book borrows too much from other cyberpunk books but I wouldn't know, haven't read them yet.

That said, wow! I loved this ride! The descriptions and details of the world inside the net were so vivid it felt like I was insid
Lit Bug
Slightly put off by classic cyberpunk on account of its difficult prose, the way it dumps the unwary reader in the middle of a strange world, hoping s/he will figure it out before s/he misses out on what is happening, I was skeptical of taking up another work that promised cyberpunk, though of a different flavor. Not only was I pleasantly surprised at how lucidly the process of jacking into the matrix and running its programs can be described, it was an adrenaline of pleasure to see how many not ...more
Ian Wood

William
Interesting for the most part, but the ending 20% was rather boring and felt a tad rushed, with little payoff for all the buildup. The world is not really well defined, lacking in texture, detail and feeling. Also feels sort of like Anonymous self-insertion, where hackers are well known celebrities in the Net.
Xdyj
Apr 19, 2013 Xdyj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: o, q, fa
The plot about Internet regulation seems interesting and somehow premonitory, but the author borrowed too much from classic cyberpunk like those by William Gibson, especially the awesome yet impractical VR and the concept of ICE.
Cucumber
I loved it so so much. "Trouble and her friends" is a detective story with some minor romance and some … interesting action sequences set in cyberspace.

First of all, I've got a soft spot for pre-W-LAN cyber punk and there were lots of wires in this one.
Secondly, Trouble and her friends are presented as outsiders: they are “crackers”; and even within the (semi-criminal) internet community they are marginalized for being queer and “on the wire”. (The wire connects their brain with the internet w
Alexandra
So... I've been meaning to write this review since August, when I read it. I've therefore managed to get to it before a year is out, if only just. Which is good. But the reason it's taken me so long is because there are so many things I wanted to say! ... and of course I've forgotten most of them. Because that's the way these things work. I did make a little list of notes as I went, so this is going to be a somewhat disjointed review as I write those notes and try to remember what I meant by the ...more
Laura Rainbow Dragon
India Carless, a.k.a. Trouble has tried to go straight. When the law cracks down on the wild frontier of cyberspace with an aggressive new bill which makes it possible for computer hackers to be convicted of armed robbery, Trouble knows that it's time to get out. Trouble was the best of the netwalkers, but the net had gone crazy now. What she once saw as high adventure is now simply suicide, so Trouble walks away from it all.

Away from the shadow world of the netwalkers -- professional hackers wh
Jordan
Pretty decent cyberpunk with mainly LGBT characters and a look at gender and identity on the net. After reading so much supernatural romance and bad teen love triangles lately, some queer sci-fi was a nice break. I was particularly interested by how the characters used "it" as the pronoun for all crackers (basically hackers) whose gender was not known off the nets. Usually, as the book points out, a male gender is assumed. I was reminded of the scene from The Matrix where Neo is surprised to fin ...more
Jessica Strider
Pros: 'realistic' internet, relevant (net coming under government control/interference, environmental problems)

Cons: grammar tense shift from the real world (past tense) to the net and character's thoughts (present tense) was distracting

Pro/Con: very involved story (you have to pay close attention), slow paced, two lesbian love scenes (both are short and less involved than what you'll find in a traditional romance novel)

Trouble walked away from her life as a cracker and her girlfriend, when the
Erika
Originally reviewed here:

I am reviewing a copy provided by the US publisher.

Science Fiction sometimes runs the risk of becoming dated. Technology advances so quickly today that it’s illuminating to consider iPods, camera phones, and the iPad were only released within the last decade. While not impossible to predict what the future may bring, even as close as a few years from now, it’s a tricky balancing act between what we want to advance and what actually
Elizabeth
Entertaining mid 90s cyberpunk, interesting as much as for what Scott got wrong about the future as what she got right. I love that she imagines full-immersion virtual reality, but no wireless internet. And it's old enough that the big network is the "BBS" not the web or the internet. The non-techy parts -- the question of what happens when people who have defined themselves as outsiders try to "grow up" -- were good, although the characters were a bit underdeveloped.
Chris
A typical cyberpunk novel. The thing is I like the genre (debates of it being dead or not aside).

I like this book the characters were memorable and the story a a strong addition to the genre. Scott pick up the ability to depict a bleak future of corporate dominance and continue weaving more into this story.

I have read this book several times and find it a keeper as part of my library. That being said I not sure I would recommend this as a casual read. Most readers like the hero to kick ass and
Kate
Feb 08, 2014 Kate added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Another book I didn't finish. I stopped about forty pages in because the stream-of-consciousness descriptions of being inside the internet didn't work for me. The descriptions of technology also felt dated.
Tarn
Cyberpunk. Cyberlespunk, I guess. An excellent little read - if a bleak future for all of us, at least people can still be quirky characters. The plot, a troublemaker-goes-'straight'-then-gets-blamed-for-crimes-someone -else-commits-and-must-reclaim-her-name is a bit predictable, but none the less interesting for it. After all, if staid plots were boring, who would read murder mysteries?
Fascinatingly, the author portrays almost all the characters as living in a world were folks hate and belittle
Maria Cherry
Read this one awhile ago and really liked it. Not sure it will hold up over time.
Topher
I first read this book years ago, before I ever became a computer security consultant. Its a phenomenal book - I'd put it up there with Shockwave Rider and True Names for influencing my career decisions in a weird sort of back - but I just couldn't find it into the allocated space for moving across the country. There are a lot of themes going on in this that I either didn't remember or just didn't get the first time through - lots of what it means to be an outsider, whether or not a blackhat can ...more
Brad
Picked this up for almost free when Borders was going out of the business. And since I am in a cyberpunkian frame of mind this is a good time to read this book.

In the end I thought this was a standard science fiction cyberpunk thriller. Had some cool descriptions to describe the computers and network elements but there was not a lot of action. This was more of a musing on technology and relationships. Not what I was expecting from having read the description on the back of the book.
Leah
Jan 31, 2011 Leah added it
Shelves: fiction
Again, it doesn't hold up as well as it did years ago when I first read it, especially now that I have some idea of what powers the cyberworld that Trouble and Cerise walk. Still, it has a visceral appeal, and nostalgia. It also amazes me how big a difference a dozen years can make when it comes to technology. It struck me as significant that all the connections made throughout the story are hardwired - there's no wireless. The detectives don't even appear to carry cell phones!
Gedvondur
I read this book years ago. Utter garbage. The writing and characterization was really poor, and the entire thing fell flat. The only fresh thing about this book was the gay/lesbian angle, but that by itself was not enough to save this one. There is much better cyberpunk out there than this. I imagine if I had read it as a teenager, I might have liked it. As an adult, it was crap.
Vasha7
A gentler sort of cyberpunk. Setting features dystopian corporations and virtual reality, not wildly implausible. Not a whole lot of violence; straightforward language and storytelling style. Quite adequate plot though not original. Most appealing aspect is the likable characters. The romance between Trouble and her partner Cerise is sweet!
Bennie
Take a William Gibson short story, next remove most of the action, then add 350 pages of narrative and you have Trouble and Her Friends. Not gonna go over it in detail, but what a disappointment, she really didn't have any friends as described in the title. It picked up in the end but it was too little too late.
Sandie
A cyberpunk novel with a female author and female main character. I read the book for a group I was in while at Xavier, the date read is my best guess.

India Carless is running a small network for an artists' co-op when someone steals her name for criminal hacking. She goes after them.
Tamahome
22/379 - checking out this lesbian cyberpunk reprint, no sightings of the former yet

31/379 - I know this is picky, and the story hasn't really picked up yet, Trouble the main character hasn't appeared, but I'm noticing a habit of the author, that she likes to use a lot of commas.
Offbalance
Another glimpse into Melissa Scott's incredible futuristic world of hackers and those who seek to stop them. The technology may seem quaint by today's standards, but the terrific characters and breakneck pacing make this a terrific vacation, travel or train read.
Squeemu
This was one of the best cyberpunk novels I've read. True, I haven't read many, but that's because I never really care about the characters enough to get through the slang. Here, the characters were just as important as the plot and ideas.
Cian
Fun queer cyber punk thriller. The queer politics in the novel are very representative of the time it was published, which will make it either a fun read or very dated, depending on your attitude.
Drianne
I really don't like cyberpunk. I just don't find virtual adventures that exciting. And I don't want to have a brain connection to the Internet, thank you very much. Still, yay, lesbians.
Lethe Press Books: Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott 1 1 Aug 26, 2014 12:39PM
Sci-Fi & Fant...: July/August 2014 Group Read: Trouble and Her Friends 6 8 Jul 20, 2014 09:49AM
The F-word: Trouble and Her Friends 10 34 Oct 15, 2013 04:07PM
She-Geeks: This topic has been closed to new comments. Trouble and her Friends - Feminist Cyberpunk 25 39 Aug 05, 2013 11:36PM
love M. Scott 2 8 Apr 06, 2011 10:46AM
  • Solitaire
  • Slow River
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • China Mountain Zhang
  • Synners
  • The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • Spin State
  • Messiah Node (LINK Angel, #3)
  • Virtual Girl
  • Ring of Swords
  • Godmother Night
  • Daughters of an Amber Noon
  • The Bohr Maker
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...
Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11) Burning Bright

“There were still too many people who were afraid of a technology that eluded them, still more who would never have access and resented and feared it in equal measures. Mobilize those groups just once, find a demagogue-and there always were demagogues-and the nets would find themselves destroyed.” 0 likes
“Given enough incentive, the nets could be regulated, access deliberately slowed and stifled, checkpoints at every intersection.” 0 likes