Start by marking “Strange Brew” as Want to Read:
Strange Brew

Strange Brew (Alpha & Omega #1.5 - Seeing Eye)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  9,204 Ratings  ·  513 Reviews
Today's hottest urban fantasy authors come together in this delicious brew that crackles and boils over with tales of powerful witches and dark magic!

In Charlaine Harris' "Bacon," a beautiful vampire joins forces with a witch from an ancient line to find out who killed her beloved husband. In "Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs, a blind witch helps sexy werewolf Tom Franklin f
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Brew

Liriel27
Jun 30, 2009 Liriel27 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the respective series and supernatural mysteries
I won this book through First Reads. It's interesting to see how the 9 stories in this collection apply the central theme (witches and magic) to flesh out pre-exisiting characters and worlds (with a couple of exceptions, to be mentioned later). In order of appearance:

Patricia Briggs' "Seeing Eye" takes place in the Mercy Thompson universe, but aside from a few general references, it focuses on new characters and new situations, like the magic system and the role of witches in that world. The cha
Kathleen
I bought this anthology for Seeing Eye, by Patricia Briggs, because it belongs in her Alpha & Omega series, about werewolves and other magical beings. It was good, but I tend to gobble up everything Briggs.

Anyhoo... in Seeing Eye, Tom and Moira are introduced, a scarred and cynical old werewolf and a blind but capable white witch from Seattle. They meet and begin to fall in love. The plot is sorta scary, with a vicious bunch of dark witches. My only gripe? It's over too soon -- blasted shor
Laura the Highland Hussy
I didn't read all 9 of the stories because some are for series I'm not reading.

Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs-4 stars
This is the story of the witch Moira and the wolf Tom who both had a part in the Alpha & Omega series and I liked all of the story a LOT but the ending was a bit abrupt.

Last Call by Jim Butcher- 3 stars
I've been meaning to start this series, so I read the short story to see if I'd like it, and I do! I just bought the first book, Storm Front.

Bacon by Charlaine Harris-1 star
What
Choko
Dec 23, 2015 Choko rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
*** 3.25 ***

This is a part of Mercy Thompson world. I enjoyed the story about the werewolf and the blind witch, but it was too short! It actually could have gone longer and deeper, since Molly's character is very likable and has humongous potential for depth and rich background. I hope they get another full book!
Jim
For some reason GR keeps showing this as one of a series as if it is exclusive to one. It's not. It's a bunch of short stories by some of the hot UF/PNR writers around so there are a lot of series represented. They're all women, with the exception of Butcher, FWIW. While there were a few good stories, most were barely OK. Considering these authors are churning out several books a year, I expected a little better, although wasn't holding out too much hope.

Most of the fighting was fairly horrible
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs

3.5 Stars

This was VERY short as in only 24 pages, but I still really liked it and it has encouraged me to give Patricia Briggs another shot.

Last Call by Jim Butcher

3.5 Stars

Another story that again was really short, about 50 pages, but was entertaining, I haven't read any of the Dresden Files books but this little snippet has inspired me to put it on my TBR mountain.

Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine

5 Stars

I really liked this story, abobut a witch who resurrects the d
Steven
Sep 05, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
Read the Tom and Moira story that fits into the Alpha & Omega series (by Patricia Briggs) as book 1.5, "Seeing Eye."
Kelly
Jul 01, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
The theme of Strange Brew is witchcraft. This anthology features nine well-known urban fantasy authors, each with their own spin on the theme. Some of these stories feature well-known characters. Others focus on characters who are secondary in the author's series, or characters who are entirely new. Glancing at the table of contents and doing a little mental math, most of the stories are around 40 pages, give or take a few. (The longest is Karen Chance's at just under 60.) As is always the case ...more
Chris
Strange Brew is a nice mix of stories. Most, if not all, of the authors in the collection have novels that make use of the characters in the short fiction. I've read some of the books.

In this collection, I truly enjoyed "Bacon" by Charline Harris. It is set in her Sookie world, but does not feature Sookie. I found to be a good use of myth, and I loved the ending. It almost made me wish I was still reading Sookie, almost.

Jim Butcher's story, "Last Call" is also good, though I'm not entirely sure
Jamie Collins
Jul 16, 2009 Jamie Collins rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-urban
I enjoyed the Patricia Briggs story, which is set in the same universe as her Mercedes Thompson books, but with new characters. (ETA: Moira and Tom show up as secondary characters in Hunting Ground, the second book in her Alpha & Omega series.)

Butcher's Harry Dresden story was pretty good, and so was Elrod's Jack Fleming story. I didn't like Charlaine Harris's contribution at all - it's not a Sookie story, but it's set in that universe.

I only skimmed the rest of the book, because I don't muc
Aly is so frigging bored
Patricia Briggs' SS: 4.5*
Karen Chance's SS: 5*
Wealhtheow
A collection of short stories by some of the best-known authors in the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. Each is set in the author's already popular series. On the plus side, this means the writing is at least readable and some small effort has been put into the world building. On the minus side, nothing important can happen for fear that regular readers of the books will miss out.
Patricia Briggs's "Seeing Eye" would have been good as a book--as a short story, there is barely a climax and
Desperado
My Thoughts:

This is one of the better anthologies I've read. After buying the hot mess that was My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon I decided to get the majority of my anthologies from the library. If there is anything I hate more than spending money, it's spending money on crap.

My favorite shorts in this collection were Briggs Seeing Eye, Chance's Vegas Odds, & Hunter's Signatures of the Dead. My one big disappointment was Harris's Bacon. The protagonist in Bacon, Dahlia, appeared in "Tacky"
Jul 11, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs was a tight story of a blind witch, who after a werewolf comes to her door, faces off for the fight of her life.

Jim Butcher, as always presents an excellent Dresden story, "Last Call" - all Dresden wants in some of Mac's beer, and of course, its not that simple. Certainly not a required reading for the series, but a great, funny story neverless.

"Death Warmed Over" by Rachel Caine was an ok story about a necromancer, who oddly and disturbingly, falls in love with
Marianna
Feb 09, 2010 Marianna rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs: The best of the lot. I wanted more once I was done reading it. 5/5

Last Call by Jim Butcher: Not exactly my cup of tea, but it made me interested in reading the series. 3.5/5

Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine: Not bad. Disliked the heroine intensely. "Bad things happened to me, that's why I'm a b*tch!" Sure. The romance was meh. 3/5.

Vegas Odds by Karen Chance: Not bad. It had its funny/sweet moments, but I found the action and intrigue a little lacking. 3.5/5.

Hecate'
Anita
Jul 09, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
Usually I'm not a big fan of short fiction. I tend not to be satisfied with appetizers ... I want the full five course meal plus the chocolate mints that come with the check. Short stories ... like appetizers, leave me hungry, not quite satisfied, and in some cases, down right cranky. There are exceptions and this collection of short fantasies is one. The reader will find a nice section of well known authors such as Jim Butcher, P. N. Elrod, Charlaine Harris and Patricia Briggs ... all four tell ...more
Leah
Jun 24, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, anthology, m-f
NOTE: THIS RATING IS ONLY FOR THE PATRICIA BRIGGS NOVELLA FOR NOW.

"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs - 4 stars (read August 6, 2011)
This short novella goes with Briggs' "Alpha & Omega" series. It's about a blind witch, Moira, who helps a werewolf, Tom, save his human brother from a coven of witches.

This story was pretty cute. I'm not exactly sure how it fits in with the series yet since this is the first I've heard of Tom and Moira, but I'm assuming they play some role in the books. I wish that
Kat
Jul 05, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
Another good collection of stories. The theme this time was witches. As it was a subject near and dear to me, I read the stories cautiously, but still enjoyed them immensely. The Jim Butcher offering was almost a continuation of his story from "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon"- dealing with Mac and his homebrews. I'm starting to really get a feel for these characters that keep popping up in the collections P.N.Elrod is editing. I have a feeling I'm going to do a hunt for more of them.
Christa
Apr 24, 2015 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
My review is only for Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs. I enjoyed the story and thought that the characters of Tom and Moira were both very interesting. The storyline was good, and even though it very short, I felt satisfied with it. I liked the way the story fits into the Mercy Thompson world.
Stephen
Jan 26, 2017 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few good stories, namely "Seeing Eye", "Last Call" and "Ginger: A Nocturne City Story", but the others were either run-of-the-mill, repetitive, or seemed rushed. If you do pick it up, read the three stories mentioned.
Linda
Feb 24, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
I only read Jim Butcher's contribution and really enjoyed it.
Kelley Anne
May 22, 2009 Kelley Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I'm really not a fan of anthologies, and it's REALLY rare for me to read one cover to cover. I typically just read the story or stories that I care about. But for a group challenge this month, I needed to read it cover to cover! So here are my thoughts on the different stories:

Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs - I found this to be a really interesting story. I enjoyed the characters, although I would have liked to see more of the development of their relationship. I was happy to see them show up in
Melindeeloo
Oct 10, 2009 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
A tasty sampler of UF shorts to quench your thirst for a quick summer read
Strange Brew was a pretty good sampler of urban fantasy shorts and even though most of the stories are connected to these favorite authors' popular series, most worked pretty well as standalones. My favorites were the one's by Briggs and Caine.

****Seeing Eye - Patricia Briggs - A blind witch is an unlikely `finder' but this witch has a very personal reason for accepting a werewolf's plea for magical aid to help rescue hi
Kati
An anthology of short urban fantasy stories by Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Karen Chance, P.N. Elrod, Charlaine Harris, Faith Hunter, Caitlin Kittredge and Jenna Maclaine.

"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs - set in her Alpha & Omega series, tells the reader how Tom from the Emerald City Pack met his wife, the blind witch Moira. Not bad, but it was lacking something.

"Last Call" by Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden has to deal with an ancient Goddess - and ends up being blamed for the wh
CaliGirlRae
Really enjoyed the Dresden tale in this collection and P.N. Elrod's vampire noir story from her Jack Fleming series. The 40s style is right up my alley and having vampires thrown in with the lingo was just all sorts of good fun. I'll have to pick up the series!

I'm a bit iffy about the Charlaine Harris story. The Sookie series is sweet candy fun and although the beginning was interesting, the end was a bit too twisted to fit in with the theme of the antho.

I liked my first taste of Patricia Brigg
Nozomi
Sep 10, 2009 Nozomi rated it liked it
Shelves: own, werewolf, vampire
I remember why I shouldn't read short story anthologies. Because short stories usually suck. Luckily, I liked 3 of the 9 stories so far.

Briggs' Seeing Eye was written well, and the characters were likable. Except that it was slightly boring, and obviously, too short, I still liked it. 4/5.

Butcher's Last Call was really, really good. I've never read Jim Butcher before, but I think I might start. It was written well, and I liked the universe. 4/5.

Caine's Death Warmed Over was good. It was cut shor
Delta
Dec 28, 2013 Delta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy short stories
3.5 stars (updated review)

This review is for one short story within this anthology: "Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs. It is on the list of books in Briggs' Alpha and Omega series. The characters in "Seeing Eye" (werewolf Tom Langley and his mate Moira, a witch) later play a role in Hunting Ground, Book 2 of Alpha and Omega. While not essential to the series, "Seeing Eye" serves as a prequel to Book 2.

That said, "Seeing Eye" is an entertaining short urban fantasy story that can stand on its own.
Keertana
Apr 22, 2013 Keertana rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I only read Patricia Briggs's short story, "Seeing Eye," from this anthology and, as always, I was impressed. Briggs's tale follows the first meeting of Tom and Moira, the werewolf and blind white witch couple we meet in Hunting Ground and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying this short novella centered around them and their joint hunt for Tom's brother who was held captive by the coven Moira's evil father ruled. Nevertheless, despite the thrill of seeing these two
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the authors
Stories were OK, some disappointing. Many were related to current series/characters by their authors. Since I'm unfamiliar with all of them except the Charlaine Harris 'world', they didn't do much for me. One good one was a standalone by Faith Hunter, will be checking to see if there will be a series [hopefully:] spinning off of this character.

ETA: The Patricia Briggs story is the backstory to a couple we'll meet extensively later, in the 2nd Alpha & Omega book Hunting Ground
Cathy
Butcher's wasn't as good as most of his short stories, and seemed shorter than most, but it was fine. Briggs' was quite good, and it was great to learn the background of Tom and Moira from the 2nd Alpha & Omega book. Chance's story was substantial and interesting, lots of war mage stuff, lots of fighting and intrigue, and even some sexiness. (No, not that war mage.) Harris' story was about the same vampires and werewolves as the last short story of hers I read (Dalia the vamp and the Rhodes ...more
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Night's Edge
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • On the Prowl (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...

Alpha & Omega (5 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5)