Strange Brew

Strange Brew (Jane Yellowrock 0.6)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  6,737 ratings  ·  404 reviews
Today’s hottest urban fantasy authors come together in this delicious brew that crackles and boils over with tales of powerful witches and dark magic!

In Charlaine Harris’ “Bacon,” a beautiful vampire joins forces with a witch from an ancient line to find out who killed her beloved husband. In “Seeing Eye” by Patricia Briggs, a blind witch helps sexy werewolf Tom Franklin f...more
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2009)

Liriel27
Jul 02, 2009 Liriel27 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the respective series and supernatural mysteries
I won this book through First Reads. It's interesting to see how the 9 stories in this collection apply the central theme (witches and magic) to flesh out pre-exisiting characters and worlds (with a couple of exceptions, to be mentioned later). In order of appearance:

Patricia Briggs' "Seeing Eye" takes place in the Mercy Thompson universe, but aside from a few general references, it focuses on new characters and new situations, like the magic system and the role of witches in that world. The cha...more
Kathleen
I bought this anthology for Seeing Eye, by Patricia Briggs, because it belongs in her Alpha & Omega series, about werewolves and other magical beings. It was good, but I tend to gobble up everything Briggs.

Anyhoo... in Seeing Eye, Tom and Moira are introduced, a scarred and cynical old werewolf and a blind but capable white witch from Seattle. They meet and begin to fall in love. The plot is sorta scary, with a vicious bunch of dark witches. My only gripe? It's over too soon -- blasted shor...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I didn't read all 9 of the stories because some are for series I'm not reading.

Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs-4 stars
This is the story of the witch Moira and the wolf Tom who both had a part in the Alpha & Omega series and I liked all of the story a LOT but the ending was a bit abrupt.

Last Call by Jim Butcher- 3 stars
I've been meaning to start this series, so I read the short story to see if I'd like it, and I do! I just bought the first book, Storm Front.

Bacon by Charlaine Harris-1 star
What...more
Jim
For some reason GR keeps showing this as one of a series as if it is exclusive to one. It's not. It's a bunch of short stories by some of the hot UF/PNR writers around so there are a lot of series represented. They're all women, with the exception of Butcher, FWIW. While there were a few good stories, most were barely OK. Considering these authors are churning out several books a year, I expected a little better, although wasn't holding out too much hope.

Most of the fighting was fairly horrible...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs

3.5 Stars

This was VERY short as in only 24 pages, but I still really liked it and it has encouraged me to give Patricia Briggs another shot.

Last Call by Jim Butcher

3.5 Stars

Another story that again was really short, about 50 pages, but was entertaining, I haven't read any of the Dresden Files books but this little snippet has inspired me to put it on my TBR mountain.

Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine

5 Stars

I really liked this story, abobut a witch who resurrects the d...more
♥ Sarah ♥
Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs: (4 stars)
Although very short, I really enjoyed this story. Because it was only, oh about 40 pages long, not much happened in it. But somehow Patricia Briggs manages to mix in a realistic spark of romance and a small adventure that kept me turning the page.

In this story a witch named Moira is approached by a werewolf named Tom. Tom's brother, who is a human, is kidnapped by a local coven of witches. He enlists Moira to help him find and bring his brother home safely...more
Chris
Strange Brew is a nice mix of stories. Most, if not all, of the authors in the collection have novels that make use of the characters in the short fiction. I've read some of the books.

In this collection, I truly enjoyed "Bacon" by Charline Harris. It is set in her Sookie world, but does not feature Sookie. I found to be a good use of myth, and I loved the ending. It almost made me wish I was still reading Sookie, almost.

Jim Butcher's story, "Last Call" is also good, though I'm not entirely sure...more
Kelly
The theme of Strange Brew is witchcraft. This anthology features nine well-known urban fantasy authors, each with their own spin on the theme. Some of these stories feature well-known characters. Others focus on characters who are secondary in the author's series, or characters who are entirely new. Glancing at the table of contents and doing a little mental math, most of the stories are around 40 pages, give or take a few. (The longest is Karen Chance's at just under 60.) As is always the case...more
Jamie
I enjoyed the Patricia Briggs story, which is set in the same universe as her Mercedes Thompson books, but with new characters. (ETA: Moira and Tom show up as secondary characters in Hunting Ground, the second book in her Alpha & Omega series.)

Butcher's Harry Dresden story was pretty good, and so was Elrod's Jack Fleming story. I didn't like Charlaine Harris's contribution at all - it's not a Sookie story, but it's set in that universe.

I only skimmed the rest of the book, because I don't muc...more
Marianna
Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs: The best of the lot. I wanted more once I was done reading it. 5/5

Last Call by Jim Butcher: Not exactly my cup of tea, but it made me interested in reading the series. 3.5/5

Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine: Not bad. Disliked the heroine intensely. "Bad things happened to me, that's why I'm a b*tch!" Sure. The romance was meh. 3/5.

Vegas Odds by Karen Chance: Not bad. It had its funny/sweet moments, but I found the action and intrigue a little lacking. 3.5/5.

Hecate'...more
LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater
My Thoughts:

This is one of the better anthologies I've read. After buying the hot mess that was My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon I decided to get the majority of my anthologies from the library. If there is anything I hate more than spending money, it's spending money on crap.

My favorite shorts in this collection were Briggs Seeing Eye, Chance's Vegas Odds, & Hunter's Signatures of the Dead. My one big disappointment was Harris's Bacon. The protagonist in Bacon, Dahlia, appeared in "Tacky"...more
Wealhtheow
A collection of short stories by some of the best-known authors in the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. Each is set in the author's already popular series. On the plus side, this means the writing is at least readable and some small effort has been put into the world building. On the minus side, nothing important can happen for fear that regular readers of the books will miss out.
Patricia Briggs's "Seeing Eye" would have been good as a book--as a short story, there is barely a climax and...more
"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs was a tight story of a blind witch, who after a werewolf comes to her door, faces off for the fight of her life.

Jim Butcher, as always presents an excellent Dresden story, "Last Call" - all Dresden wants in some of Mac's beer, and of course, its not that simple. Certainly not a required reading for the series, but a great, funny story neverless.

"Death Warmed Over" by Rachel Caine was an ok story about a necromancer, who oddly and disturbingly, falls in love with...more
Delta
Dec 30, 2013 Delta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy short stories
3.5 stars (updated review)

This review is for one short story within this anthology: "Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs. It is on the list of books in Briggs' Alpha and Omega series. The characters in "Seeing Eye" (werewolf Tom Langley and his mate Moira, a witch) later play a role in Hunting Ground, Book 2 of Alpha and Omega. While not essential to the series, "Seeing Eye" serves as a prequel to Book 2.

That said, "Seeing Eye" is an entertaining short urban fantasy story that can stand on its own....more
Anita
Usually I'm not a big fan of short fiction. I tend not to be satisfied with appetizers ... I want the full five course meal plus the chocolate mints that come with the check. Short stories ... like appetizers, leave me hungry, not quite satisfied, and in some cases, down right cranky. There are exceptions and this collection of short fantasies is one. The reader will find a nice section of well known authors such as Jim Butcher, P. N. Elrod, Charlaine Harris and Patricia Briggs ... all four tell...more
Leah
NOTE: THIS RATING IS ONLY FOR THE PATRICIA BRIGGS NOVELLA FOR NOW.

"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs - 4 stars (read August 6, 2011)
This short novella goes with Briggs' "Alpha & Omega" series. It's about a blind witch, Moira, who helps a werewolf, Tom, save his human brother from a coven of witches.

This story was pretty cute. I'm not exactly sure how it fits in with the series yet since this is the first I've heard of Tom and Moira, but I'm assuming they play some role in the books. I wish that...more
Kat
Another good collection of stories. The theme this time was witches. As it was a subject near and dear to me, I read the stories cautiously, but still enjoyed them immensely. The Jim Butcher offering was almost a continuation of his story from "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon"- dealing with Mac and his homebrews. I'm starting to really get a feel for these characters that keep popping up in the collections P.N.Elrod is editing. I have a feeling I'm going to do a hunt for more of them.
Susana
This review is only for Patricia Briggs story "Seeing Eye".

Well....i liked it, of course i did!! All its twenty seven pages...

Would have liked it even more if the story had had a few more pages!!(fifty or something..)

It was just too short. Just when things were about to become more interesting, it ended!

Melindeeloo
A tasty sampler of UF shorts to quench your thirst for a quick summer read
Strange Brew was a pretty good sampler of urban fantasy shorts and even though most of the stories are connected to these favorite authors' popular series, most worked pretty well as standalones. My favorites were the one's by Briggs and Caine.

****Seeing Eye - Patricia Briggs - A blind witch is an unlikely `finder' but this witch has a very personal reason for accepting a werewolf's plea for magical aid to help rescue hi...more
Carolyn F.
03/06/11 re-read as an audiobooks - also own the book
I took the average of the ratings and it still became a 3. Sometimes when I listen to the audio version of a book I previously listened to I enjoy it more, but I guess not this one so the 3 star rating stands.

1. Patricia Briggs. Blind witch Moira meets Tom, a werewolf, when he needs her to find his brother who was kidnapped by her evil father. It ends with her as his mate. Good story. ****

2. Jim Butcher. Contaminated beer and who did it. I am...more
Kelley Anne
I'm really not a fan of anthologies, and it's REALLY rare for me to read one cover to cover. I typically just read the story or stories that I care about. But for a group challenge this month, I needed to read it cover to cover! So here are my thoughts on the different stories:

Seeing Eye by Patricia Briggs - I found this to be a really interesting story. I enjoyed the characters, although I would have liked to see more of the development of their relationship. I was happy to see them show up in...more
CaliGirlRae
Really enjoyed the Dresden tale in this collection and P.N. Elrod's vampire noir story from her Jack Fleming series. The 40s style is right up my alley and having vampires thrown in with the lingo was just all sorts of good fun. I'll have to pick up the series!

I'm a bit iffy about the Charlaine Harris story. The Sookie series is sweet candy fun and although the beginning was interesting, the end was a bit too twisted to fit in with the theme of the antho.

I liked my first taste of Patricia Brigg...more
Kati
An anthology of short urban fantasy stories by Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Karen Chance, P.N. Elrod, Charlaine Harris, Faith Hunter, Caitlin Kittredge and Jenna Maclaine.

"Seeing Eye" by Patricia Briggs - set in her Alpha & Omega series, tells the reader how Tom from the Emerald City Pack met his wife, the blind witch Moira. Not bad, but it was lacking something.

"Last Call" by Jim Butcher - Harry Dresden has to deal with an ancient Goddess - and ends up being blamed for the wh...more
Nozomi
I remember why I shouldn't read short story anthologies. Because short stories usually suck. Luckily, I liked 3 of the 9 stories so far.

Briggs' Seeing Eye was written well, and the characters were likable. Except that it was slightly boring, and obviously, too short, I still liked it. 4/5.

Butcher's Last Call was really, really good. I've never read Jim Butcher before, but I think I might start. It was written well, and I liked the universe. 4/5.

Caine's Death Warmed Over was good. It was cut shor...more
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I only read Patricia Briggs's short story, "Seeing Eye," from this anthology and, as always, I was impressed. Briggs's tale follows the first meeting of Tom and Moira, the werewolf and blind white witch couple we meet in Hunting Ground and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying this short novella centered around them and their joint hunt for Tom's brother who was held captive by the coven Moira's evil father ruled. Nevertheless, despite the thrill of seeing these two...more
Cathy
Butcher's wasn't as good as most of his short stories, and seemed shorter than most, but it was fine. Briggs' was quite good, and it was great to learn the background of Tom and Moira from the 2nd Alpha & Omega book. Chance's story was substantial and interesting, lots of war mage stuff, lots of fighting and intrigue, and even some sexiness. (No, not that war mage.) Harris' story was about the same vampires and werewolves as the last short story of hers I read (Dalia the vamp and the Rhodes...more
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2010 Carolyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the authors
Stories were OK, some disappointing. Many were related to current series/characters by their authors. Since I'm unfamiliar with all of them except the Charlaine Harris 'world', they didn't do much for me. One good one was a standalone by Faith Hunter, will be checking to see if there will be a series [hopefully:] spinning off of this character.

ETA: The Patricia Briggs story is the backstory to a couple we'll meet extensively later, in the 2nd Alpha & Omega book Hunting Ground
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I really enjoyed this anthology. There were some great stories by authors I'm familiar and those I haven't read before. Here is how I'd rate them:

Patricia Briggs-Seeing Eye-4 stars
Faith Hunter-Signatures of the Dead- 5 stars
Caitlin Kittredge-Ginger- 4 stars
Jenna MacLaine-Dark Sins- 3 stars
Lindig
A fun, fast read. Big names in the dark fantasy biz contribute stories in their own worlds. Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Karen Chance, Charlaine Harris, Faith Hunter, Caitlin Kittredge, Jenna Maclaine. The least successful story is by Maclaine, a romance trying to be dark and powerful. Harris' story is well-told, as expected, but I thought the twist at the end was a little contrived; it made me go "ewwww." Overall, though, it was enjoyable.
Emily
Not bad. Some of the stories were, of course, better than others. I think I've decided that Charlaine Harris is much better at the full-length novel than short stories, but Jim Butcher always delivers the fun. I didn't discover any new authors to look for, but at least I didn't skip any of the stories; that's good, right?
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy (Riverside Series) (The Dresden Files #10.9)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • On the Prowl (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25) My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon Dark and Stormy Knights Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9) Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)