The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)

The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy #3)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  939 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Not long ago the world thought its superhumans dead after a great battle wiped out heroes and villains alike. Now, new heroes - and new villains - have miraculously emerged in the form of teenagers. The new heroes find themselves on the cusp of WWIII, caused by their very existence. One hero is torn between right and wrong as he falls under the spell of a former ally turne...more
Published May 14th 2009 by Philomel

Kristi Bernard
Having superhuman abilities is something any human would love to possess, especially a thirteen year old. Carroll does an excellent job of presenting an action packed series with two teen brothers, the sons of Quantum, and their discovery of their superhuman powers. Colin and Danny are put in a position to re-establish a superhuman race. Book Three, The Reckoning, Colin's mission is to stop Max and the Sakkarran's from figuring out how to use a power-damping machine that could kill super-humans,...more
Denae
Alternate reality.
Golly. No matter what horrible things happen to these characters, I still wish I was a superhuman.
Only, I like Renata's and Danny's powers best because they're the most reasonable. Why does ever superhuman seem to have to have super strength and speed? Why can't everyone be fine with just ONE power? What's up with Mina? It really would be more interesting if there were more limitations, but at least MC knows better than to make every character unstoppable (like Daniel X, uninte...more
 αℓρнα ⊰ Semi-Hiatus ⊱
cant wait for the next book in the series!
Patrick
This one's choppy and not quite as good as the first two.

The continued exploration of adults' reactions and contingency plans for young heroes, as well as as the interesting deal with the mine were good.

But this felt much more like the "middle" story than the 2nd book did with the whack plot twist on the last page. And the character interactions were more forced and less developed I thought.

I am also beyond confused about how Superhuman relates to this at all now... I'll have to hit the librar...more
Greyson Harness
One of the best books I have ever read. Yes, better even than Harry Potter. It has by far the best twists I have seen in a book in living memory. The only books that I can think of with such great plot twists are Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (which only has a great twist at the very end)and Lord of the Rings. All throughout this book you are surprised.

One of the best things about this book is that you don't know who the enemy is. Some of the people you think are good turn out to not be...more
Jeretta Hall
Wow! That was amazing! The third book ends on an amazing note, but also a bit of a cliffhanger. I can't wait to read the prequel series. Hopefully, Michael Carroll is working hard on the 7th book (which from what I hear, will pick back up sometime after this series and still have Colin, Danny, and Renata in it).

Overall, I loved it. Colin being on the run and then falling into Yvonne's trap was amazing to see. I don't actually see though, how Colin was able to remember and figure out that he was...more
05bransonp
For my book report I read "Quantum Prophecy The Reckoning". The author is Michael Carroll and the book is 298 pages long. The intended audience for this book is thrill seekers. The main problem in the book is the super villain Yvonne is trying to take over the world with mind control. The setting in this book is the whole world mostly for Danny Copper because he can move as fast as light. The Main Characters are. Collin Wagner he can control energy and has super strength. Danny Copper he has sup...more
Aaron
It was just 10 years ago that the world superheroes and supervillains lost all of their powers after a major battle. The next generation is just coming to the fore, still learning about their abilities and about what it means to be a hero. In this third volume in the Quantum Prophecy series, readers get to continue following the tales of the three original New Heroes. Each of them is still dealing with struggles related to their power.

Renata, who was a teen hero at the time the previous heroes l...more
Jamie K
The new heroes have been thrust into the brink of a world war with the Trutopians. General Piers has assumed command of Sakkarra and the new heroes are no longer in control of their destiny, except one who has left and refuses to serve under a man such as Piers. Unfortunately this one hero is forced to choose between good and evil and the lines are blurred together. With the new heroes be able to stop an all out war that could kill millions and who will end up on which sides?

The Reckoning is an...more
Ariel Acupan
Photobucket

What an ending??!!! **** flailing hands while running then smashes my head to the wall (not really :P) ****

Most of my friends at goodreads knows that I've been slacking A LOT when it comes to reading and reviewing a novel. BUT I have to say that this series is so good that I'll drop my hiatus state and tell why I like this book. I have to give credit to Aaron who recommended the book to me. Thanks dude (I know he hates it when I call him that. hahaha).

One word: "AWESOME". The series would take...more
Amy
Apr 15, 2010 Amy added it
Rachel
The reconing by Michael Carroll is the last book in the series and it's about superheros who are kids.Colin the strongest hero is living on the streets having run away from his former life. His friends are at Sakkara helping save the world. The trutophians and their leader have announced that they are a separat country and war is definitly going to happend. When the trutophians get controle of Colin the others must break him from their power and stop him before it's too late.
I picked this book u...more
Erin Pauley
Really liked this series but I feel like it ended with too much unknown. I am not sure if it continues but I hope so because I need to find out what happens with Colin, Danny, Renata, and the others. Normally I am more of a fantasy person but I love superheroes and this was a really fun book. Who doesn't dream about waking up one day and having an amazing super power?
Deirdre
And the story arc finishes. Colin is on the run trying to find a role for himself and some peace. Renata and Danny are questioning the leadership and the Trutopians have some schemes they are trying to work out. As the book progresses you find that they all have flaws and all have motives and things are very complicated.

There are times when this book works well but there were also times when I was very lost and nearly lost my interest in the story and didn't care what happened next, as long as i...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
GAAH!!! EVIL ENDING!!! *throws book against the wall*!!! So yeah, that's the bad news: cliff hanger. Good news: I think I'm addicted to this series now. With the first two books, it was more like, "Ehhh these are okay ... good enough to read the next book but I won't die if I don't keep up with the series." After book three I'm more intrigued. There were a lot of good plot twists ... Sure, they were a little ridiculous and/or predictable at times, but that's pretty much what I expect from some Y...more
Bryan457
I probably would have given this more stars if it had not been a year and a half since I read the last one, so I had very little idea what was going on, who the people were, their histories and their motivations. My other gripe is that the pacing between this one and the first two was so completely different. The first two were rather slow, with a lot of revelations right at the very end. This one was more a superhero soap opera with wildly changing directions and revelations all over the place...more
Ethan Kropp
great series especially for younger readers
Douglas Larson
While I enjoyed this series when I started it, by the time I got to this third book, I decided I was a bit tired of the author's prose style. Putting just what that style is into words is a bit difficult but I call it mechanical descriptive style narrative. Its too matter of fact for my taste, especially after reading 3 books in that style.

Also, I didn't like where the continuing story line was heading and so, while there is a 4th book out and I don't know how many more planned, I stopped readin...more
Hannah
This book was amazing! It always had me reading the next chapter. I just couldn't put it down! Some things were a little confusing, so I had to reread them, and it did have some curse words, but otherwise it was awesome. The Girl Who Could Fly was a book that is kinda like this one which is also amazing. They both are dealing with kids that develop powers. In this book, some teens around age 13 start to develop superpowers, starting a new age of super humans, after the old super humans disappear...more
Ryan Burt
The final book in the Quantum Prophecy series. I have reall y like all three books in this series. There are not enough superhero books in my opinion. Or maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Needless to say this is a great superhero book. Teenagers trying to figure out how to use their superpowers to help save the world. Sure there are lots of stories of people trying to save the world but this one was done well.
Amy
With an extremely satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, Carroll has completely won me over. I'll definitely read his other novels, especially since he's included such strong female leads that aren't at all sexualized outside of the norm... an aspect missing in much of the superhero genre.
TheObsessiveCupcake
It was as good as the other books. It ended in a big cliffhanger but that might not be a bad thing...so now go and read.
Amy J
This book was full of action. Superhero KIDS saving the world was a real nice twist along with the enemy force being a superhero kid too. Lots of twists and turns as the book develops to a huge climax. All readers would enjoy, however included minimal romance
Garrett Powers
I thought it was very similar to the others in terms of plot twist and character development. The book series ended in a twist that has no relation to the story what so ever. I wish there was a more clear and positive ending like the other two books.
Bibliophile
I literally read this book in 2 hours! I love all of the suspense that Michael Carroll creates in all of the Quantum prophecy books. The story line is original and exciting. I couldn't put this book down until I was finished! I want another one!
Antony
awesome super hero book. i would recommend and my favorite character is quantum. he is brave and tries to help other people with his powers. maybe hurt some people because of the power...
so it's a curse and a blessing i guess.
John
A solid conclusion to the trilogy. Carroll's characters and memorable and appealing. Also, his world is frighteningly realistic in the politics and decisions that drive it forward.
Robert O Mahony
Read this for the first time since I was about 12, loved it! The action is fantastic and the dialogue is funny. Slightly childish, maybe, but I'm a sucker for superhero stuff :P
Emily Mayumi
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Earthfall
  • Blood Ties (Oliver Nocturne, #3)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • The Eternal War (TimeRiders, #4)
  • The Cheerleaders of Doom (NERDS, #3)
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Hex (Hex, #1)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com, #1)
In 1987 Michael Carroll joined the Irish Science Fiction Association and was soon invited to become editor of their fiction magazine FTL. He has been a member of the executive committee of the Irish Writers' Union and spent two years as editor of their regular newsletter Final Draft.

He now writes full-time, having published a number of science fiction, fantasy and romance novels in Ireland, the UK...more
More about Michael Carroll...
The Awakening (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #1) Super Human (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #4) The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2) The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5) Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)