Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal

Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Like an old-fashioned hymn sung in rounds, Something’s Rising gives a stirring voice to the lives, culture, and determination of the people fighting the destructive practice of mountaintop removal in the coalfields of central Appalachia. Each person’s story, unique and unfiltered, articulates the hardship of living in these majestic mountains amid the daily desecration of...more
Published March 16th 2009 by University Press of Kentucky (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Something's Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something's Rising

Ellen
Completely amazing book. Much like Ann Pancake's Strange As This Weather Has Been (the first book I ever read addressing mountaintop removal), it completely humanizes and makes important an issue which is often ignored or thought of as unimportant. Probably the most compelling of the interviews is with Judy Bonds, who while speaking against MTR also addresses the class issues inherent in why this hasn't become a nationally-known tragedy.

Now, as for full disclosure: while in Kentucky last week I...more
Erica
I come from the flat land of Michigan so when I flew into Appalachia for the first time, I was taken aback. From the sky, those gentle old mountains looked like elders gently watching over the little valley towns beneath them. In grade school we were told that while the Rockies might provide the more stunning vistas, the Appalachian Mountains dwarf them in age. There’s something there that demands reverence, “respect your elders” and all that, but this imperative has gone blatantly unheeded by t...more
Debbie
Aug 11, 2011 Debbie added it
Not the best read (parts are quite good though) but you will get an education about mountaintop removal and the coal industry. And it is NOT a pretty picture. Makes you want to immediately find alternative energy sources!
Mary
Jun 13, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: political
I've only read a little bit and it's due back at the library. If you don't know about mountain top removal, it's horrible. I like books that have people speaking in their own voice...
Carrie
Profiles of some incredibly inspiring fighters in the battle to end mountaintop removal mining. If you want to know what's at stake in Appalachia, this is a great place to start.
Telly McGaha
Aug 07, 2009 Telly McGaha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kentuckians, West Virginians, Virginians, Carolinians and Tennesseans, as well as environmentalists
I learned that the coal industry has go to be THE dirtiest industry ever known to mankind, and on many different levels (political, criminal, environmental, etc.).
Ron
An excellent book which exposes the impact of mountaintop removal in appalachia.
Andy
an excellent read of up close and personal issues of the people being harmed...
George
Oct 02, 2010 George rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
What can we do to stop this destruction?

ilovemountains.org
Erin
Jun 21, 2009 Erin marked it as to-read
Rec by Southern Living, May 2009
Sylvia Woods
Wonderful. One of my favorites
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jennie Pollard
Jennie Pollard marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Paige
Paige added it
Aug 03, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 31, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Michele Alderson
Michele Alderson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Joni Allison
Joni Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah Stites
Sarah Stites marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Mountaindtop Removal 1 8 Oct 21, 2009 05:31PM
Silas House is an American writer best known for his novels. He is also a music journalist, environmental activist, and columnist. He lives in Eastern Kentucky, where he was born and raised.

House's fiction is known for its attention to the natural world, working class characters, and the plight of the rural place and rural people. He is also a music journalist, environmental activist and columnist...more
More about Silas House...
A Parchment of Leaves Clay's Quilt Same Sun Here The Coal Tattoo Eli the Good