Start by marking “The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)

The Dry Divide (Little Britches #7)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  672 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
4 July 1919 Nebraska. Ralph Moody "Bud" 20 is diabetic, down to last dime when put off a freight train. Three months later he owns 8 teams of horses and rigs. His girl Judy works alongside. On wheat and corn farm of bully Hudson, he pulls together Swedish brothers, drunk Doc, Spanish-speaking Paco, Irish "Jaiko Jack", Old Bill, into first-rate harvest crew.
Published August 28th 1994 by Bison Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Dry Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dry Divide

Elsie by Barbara Anne WaiteWe Pointed Them North by E.C. "Teddy Blue" AbbottLetters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt StewartA Texas Cowboy by Charles A. SiringoRoughing It by Mark Twain
The Old West in First Person
29th out of 119 books — 26 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favoritest Children's Books Ever!
410th out of 466 books — 423 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Oct 22, 2011 Melody rated it it was ok
Shelves: heard, memoir
This one made me wonder some. Moody's so unwaveringly bright, so much more insightful than any other character in the book, so adept at every task he puts his hand to- he's a better loan officer than the banker, a better bookkeeper than the accountant, a better horseman than the rancher, a better milker than the dairymaid, and so on. It got somewhat monotonous, listening to this 20-year-old kid teach everyone else their business.

I understand that he's using his life to illuminate the wonders and
Amanda
Feb 09, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
With so many details about growing, harvesting, thrashing and transporting wheat I would think I wouldn't be interested. But I love to read about the good, honest and respectable Ralph Moody. The struggles of making a living in this early century are heartbreaking. Some families could barely eat. This book illustrates the power of the American spirit.

Sterling North said "Ralph Moody's books should be read aloud in every family circle in America."

The back cover: "Without preaching, The Dry Divide
Lindy
Jan 21, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it
Another in the line of books by author Ralph Moody about his journey to manhood.

Ralph has so much honor and integrity that whatever he touches blooms. How many young men today we put themselves through hard difficulties to take care of a woman and children they don't even know. A main theme in this book is charity. Love can make the difference in so many ways. Another main theme displayed through Ralph is having an honest work ethic. If everyone worked the way that Ralph did in their respective
An Odd1
Jan 01, 2015 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
First edition line sketches add to flavor of dry dusty prairies. He was sent out West, apart from family "for his health". My first year on harvest tractor was my last, learned I had hay fever. In school - non-stop sneezes, nose and eyes ran.

Always an optimist, planning forward. "I'll be 21 in December" p 91. Gus and Lars turn out to be blacksmiths at home, traveling to Denver. "Doctor J. Holloway Merriwether, benefactor of mankind" p 13 is alcoholic, buys apothecary flavorings in dry counties
Alexis Neal
For starters, this book is loads better than Shaking the Nickel Bush. Not that it would take much. Here we rejoin Ralph Moody (now going by 'Bud') sometime after he and Lonnie parted ways in Shaking the Nickel Bush. Lonnie is never mentioned here, and perhaps it's for the best. This time around, instead of discovering yet another new and random talent, Moody returns to previously established abilities. He takes a job working for a wheat farmer, and his work ethic and ingenuity enable him to over ...more
T.K. Naliaka
Jan 17, 2015 T.K. Naliaka rated it really liked it
This is the seventh book in a series often considered the boy's equivalent of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. A beautifully-presented edition of the account of a boy growing up, with real-life hardships and challenges, a very personal account of family and people making it through despite tough circumstances,yet always with the bracing expectation that boys were expected to act like men in the face of adversity.
Jessica
Aug 13, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Ralph, with only a dime to his name, ends up in Nebraska/Kansas. He ends of working for the worst sort of man--a beater, sly trickster. Well, he ends up getting his dues and Ralph through hard work and friendships ends of being a stock/cattle trader. His friendship with Judy, I hope will bloom into something more.

I learn so much from these books. The planning that even went into a grain hauler without motorized vehicles was quite extensive. Harvesting, cultivating, etc. was al
Denae Christine
Apr 25, 2010 Denae Christine rated it it was amazing
Ralph continues to surprise me. I thought I wouldn't like the books about Ralph as he grew older and he totally proved me wrong.
Penniless? Friendless? Not for long! Ralph becomes Bud, a farmer's hired hand, one of a small crew of mismatched individuals, and he has to learn fast to keep his job...and his life. The farmer has a temper against all people and animals, and especially against Ralph when he tries to rescue some horses from the farmer's wrath. The whole farm is in debt and Ralph must fi
Rodney Haydon
Mar 02, 2015 Rodney Haydon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who can surpass what Stirling North said about Ralph Moody's books; they "should be read aloud in every family circle in America."
Ariel
Mar 22, 2016 Ariel rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites from this series, mostly because I can relate and learn so much from Ralph at this time in his life. Of course, there was also plenty of good horse-handling tips and reminders that I enjoyed. And I really appreciated how a lady friend/romance was worked into the story without that becoming the major drama or focus. Just sweet and simple. Anyhow, of all the lessons I learned from this book the main ones that stood out were: use your brain to invest your money, don't be ...more
Christy
Aug 19, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
Ralph starts out this book with nothing but his undying entrepreneurial spirit and hard work. By the end of the book he is has a flourishing business. He is an example of the old American self sufficient spirit that sadly seems totally nonexistent today.

Ralph takes a property that was about to be foreclosed on and turns it around into a thriving business. The example of both manager's leadership practices are glaringly different. There were a lot of details about how things were done and improv
Christie
Mar 12, 2014 Christie rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the least children-friendly books in the series, but I really enjoyed it. It was grittier than the others, but it was also gripping. I never cease to be impressed with Ralplh's ability to make a bad situation worthwhile without compromising his morals. He always seems to try to help his neighbors out along the way.
Kyrie
It wasn't a bad story. It just didn't grab my interest or appeal to my emotions like "Little Britches" did. Not that I wished the man ill, but everything just seemed to work out for him. It's a good thing in real life and kind of boring to read. A glossary would have helped, too. There were several Spanish words and quite a few ranch/harvesting terms I didn't understand.
Melanie
Feb 24, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, audio
Getting back to his roots, Ralph Moody finds an opportunity make some money harvesting and hauling grain. His leadership skills really shine in this book and he makes some good friends.
Yougo
After the last installment, I was a little nervous, but we're back to the little britches we know and love. The insight into human character that such a young man can come up with is nothing short of inspiring. It also makes you want to reexamine your work ethic and frugality. A great installment in a great series.
Go2therock
Apr 07, 2011 Go2therock rated it liked it
Two chapters left!

Ralph discusses way more "technical" stuff about how the operation at the wheat farms are run, but he still gets right to my heart at certain points.

This was my least favorite of the Ralph Moody series, but I still got choked up. Honest sentimentality.
Elaine
Sep 23, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
For me, this was the long-awaited sequel in the Little Britches series. I enjoyed this as much as any of the other and appreciate seeing the hard-work, honesty and watching out for one's neighbors that Ralph had been raised doing have come to play in his adult life.
Zinger
Jun 13, 2010 Zinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
This book is a keeper! One could do all kinds of corporate trainings on different styles of management, attitude, and team building lessons based on this book.
Having an attitude to work hard (and smart) can make a world of difference when opportunities show up.
Sarah Poyntrr
Apr 05, 2012 Sarah Poyntrr rated it it was ok
I have never read a book where everything goes right for the main character until this book....which made it very boring. I still don't know why everyone liked the main character. I thought he was bosy and a know it all.
Amy
Nov 18, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Jenny
Aug 13, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, 2013
I have now read this whole series and loved them all. Ralph Moody is a great example of having an idea and sticking with it til it works and becomes profitable. ..against all odds. very inspirational!
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Penniless Ralph is hired by a wheat harvesting crew and builds a hauling business. This book is just as good as all the others, especially with the big plot twist in the middle.
Meghan
Mar 17, 2008 Meghan rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as I've liked the other books in the series. The 1st 6 chapters were really hard to get through - after that it was a very enjoyable read.
Sara
Mar 29, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-school-year
Much better than Nickel Bush. Solid. Interesting. Moral. Not as compelling as the first five books but still a very good example of entrepreneurial leadership.
Jessica
May 16, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Like I say all the Ralph Moody books are good for homegrown stories. When I feel like a real story of what life was like in the past I'll pick up one of his books.
Ashley
Oct 28, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series! I couldn't quite believe some of the risks he took- It scared me enough just reading about it!
Donna
Sep 13, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
The best biographical series ever written = an amazing child and man. All of the series is a must read.
Amber
Aug 01, 2014 Amber rated it it was ok
The first half I would give 3 stars and the second half 2. It was a little boring at times.
Magda
Nov 30, 2015 Magda rated it it was amazing
Just strong and lovely.

Review from March 1, 2013
Probably one of my favorites in the series.
Angela
Sep 28, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
You definitely come to appreciate Ralph's hard work ethic! A good lesson for us all!
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • No Life for a Lady
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • A Bride Goes West
  • The Real Thomas Jefferson: The True Story of America's Philosopher of Freedom
  • Laddie: A True Blue Story
  • American Dictionary of the English Language
  • The Great Little Madison
  • Onions in the Stew (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Periodic Table
  • Anything Can Happen
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • The Real George Washington
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more
More about Ralph Moody...

Little Britches (8 books)
  • Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)