Start by marking “The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Dry Divide (Little Britches, #7)

The Dry Divide (Little Britches #7)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  32 reviews
4 July 1919 Nebraska. Ralph Moody "Bud" 20 is diabetic, down to last dime when put off a freight train. Three months later he owns 8 teams of horses and rigs. His girl Judy works alongside. On wheat and corn farm of bully Hudson, he pulls together Swedish brothers, drunk Doc, Spanish-speaking Paco, Irish "Jaiko Jack", Old Bill, into first-rate harvest crew.
Published August 28th 1994 by Bison Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Dry Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dry Divide

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My Favoritest Children's Books Ever!
392nd out of 453 books — 405 voters
Elsie by Barbara Anne WaiteWe Pointed Them North by E.C. "Teddy Blue" AbbottRoughing It by Mark TwainLetters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt StewartNine Years Among the Indians, 1870-1879 by Herman Lehmann
The Old West in First Person
68th out of 116 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
This one made me wonder some. Moody's so unwaveringly bright, so much more insightful than any other character in the book, so adept at every task he puts his hand to- he's a better loan officer than the banker, a better bookkeeper than the accountant, a better horseman than the rancher, a better milker than the dairymaid, and so on. It got somewhat monotonous, listening to this 20-year-old kid teach everyone else their business.

I understand that he's using his life to illuminate the wonders and
Amanda
With so many details about growing, harvesting, thrashing and transporting wheat I would think I wouldn't be interested. But I love to read about the good, honest and respectable Ralph Moody. The struggles of making a living in this early century are heartbreaking. Some families could barely eat. This book illustrates the power of the American spirit.

Sterling North said "Ralph Moody's books should be read aloud in every family circle in America."

The back cover: "Without preaching, The Dry Divide
Lindy
Another in the line of books by author Ralph Moody about his journey to manhood.

Ralph has so much honor and integrity that whatever he touches blooms. How many young men today we put themselves through hard difficulties to take care of a woman and children they don't even know. A main theme in this book is charity. Love can make the difference in so many ways. Another main theme displayed through Ralph is having an honest work ethic. If everyone worked the way that Ralph did in their respective
An Odd1
First edition line sketches add to flavor of dry dusty prairies. He was sent out West, apart from family "for his health". My first year on harvest tractor was my last, learned I had hay fever. In school - non-stop sneezes, nose and eyes ran.

Always an optimist, planning forward. "I'll be 21 in December" p 91. Gus and Lars turn out to be blacksmiths at home, traveling to Denver. "Doctor J. Holloway Merriwether, benefactor of mankind" p 13 is alcoholic, buys apothecary flavorings in dry counties
Alexis Neal
For starters, this book is loads better than Shaking the Nickel Bush. Not that it would take much. Here we rejoin Ralph Moody (now going by 'Bud') sometime after he and Lonnie parted ways in Shaking the Nickel Bush. Lonnie is never mentioned here, and perhaps it's for the best. This time around, instead of discovering yet another new and random talent, Moody returns to previously established abilities. He takes a job working for a wheat farmer, and his work ethic and ingenuity enable him to over ...more
T.K. Naliaka
This is the seventh book in a series often considered the boy's equivalent of the "Little House on the Prairie" series. A beautifully-presented edition of the account of a boy growing up, with real-life hardships and challenges, a very personal account of family and people making it through despite tough circumstances,yet always with the bracing expectation that boys were expected to act like men in the face of adversity.
Jessica
I loved this book! Ralph, with only a dime to his name, ends up in Nebraska/Kansas. He ends of working for the worst sort of man--a beater, sly trickster. Well, he ends up getting his dues and Ralph through hard work and friendships ends of being a stock/cattle trader. His friendship with Judy, I hope will bloom into something more.

I learn so much from these books. The planning that even went into a grain hauler without motorized vehicles was quite extensive. Harvesting, cultivating, etc. was al
Denae Christine
Ralph continues to surprise me. I thought I wouldn't like the books about Ralph as he grew older and he totally proved me wrong.
Penniless? Friendless? Not for long! Ralph becomes Bud, a farmer's hired hand, one of a small crew of mismatched individuals, and he has to learn fast to keep his job...and his life. The farmer has a temper against all people and animals, and especially against Ralph when he tries to rescue some horses from the farmer's wrath. The whole farm is in debt and Ralph must fi
Rodney Haydon
Who can surpass what Stirling North said about Ralph Moody's books; they "should be read aloud in every family circle in America."
Christy
Ralph starts out this book with nothing but his undying entrepreneurial spirit and hard work. By the end of the book he is has a flourishing business. He is an example of the old American self sufficient spirit that sadly seems totally nonexistent today.

Ralph takes a property that was about to be foreclosed on and turns it around into a thriving business. The example of both manager's leadership practices are glaringly different. There were a lot of details about how things were done and improv
Christie
I think this is one of the least children-friendly books in the series, but I really enjoyed it. It was grittier than the others, but it was also gripping. I never cease to be impressed with Ralplh's ability to make a bad situation worthwhile without compromising his morals. He always seems to try to help his neighbors out along the way.
Kyrie
It wasn't a bad story. It just didn't grab my interest or appeal to my emotions like "Little Britches" did. Not that I wished the man ill, but everything just seemed to work out for him. It's a good thing in real life and kind of boring to read. A glossary would have helped, too. There were several Spanish words and quite a few ranch/harvesting terms I didn't understand.
Yougo
After the last installment, I was a little nervous, but we're back to the little britches we know and love. The insight into human character that such a young man can come up with is nothing short of inspiring. It also makes you want to reexamine your work ethic and frugality. A great installment in a great series.
Go2therock
Two chapters left!

Ralph discusses way more "technical" stuff about how the operation at the wheat farms are run, but he still gets right to my heart at certain points.

This was my least favorite of the Ralph Moody series, but I still got choked up. Honest sentimentality.
Elaine
For me, this was the long-awaited sequel in the Little Britches series. I enjoyed this as much as any of the other and appreciate seeing the hard-work, honesty and watching out for one's neighbors that Ralph had been raised doing have come to play in his adult life.
Zinger
Jun 13, 2010 Zinger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This book is a keeper! One could do all kinds of corporate trainings on different styles of management, attitude, and team building lessons based on this book.
Having an attitude to work hard (and smart) can make a world of difference when opportunities show up.
Sarah Poyntrr
I have never read a book where everything goes right for the main character until this book....which made it very boring. I still don't know why everyone liked the main character. I thought he was bosy and a know it all.
Amy
Jenny
I have now read this whole series and loved them all. Ralph Moody is a great example of having an idea and sticking with it til it works and becomes profitable. ..against all odds. very inspirational!
Stephanie
Penniless Ralph is hired by a wheat harvesting crew and builds a hauling business. This book is just as good as all the others, especially with the big plot twist in the middle.
Meghan
I didn't like this book as much as I've liked the other books in the series. The 1st 6 chapters were really hard to get through - after that it was a very enjoyable read.
Sara
Much better than Nickel Bush. Solid. Interesting. Moral. Not as compelling as the first five books but still a very good example of entrepreneurial leadership.
Jessica
Like I say all the Ralph Moody books are good for homegrown stories. When I feel like a real story of what life was like in the past I'll pick up one of his books.
Ashley
Another great book in the series! I couldn't quite believe some of the risks he took- It scared me enough just reading about it!
Donna
The best biographical series ever written = an amazing child and man. All of the series is a must read.
Gracious Pack
It was just a bit boring... I have kind of a hard time focusing during family reads, though! :/
Amber
The first half I would give 3 stars and the second half 2. It was a little boring at times.
Angela
You definitely come to appreciate Ralph's hard work ethic! A good lesson for us all!
Magda
Probably one of my favorites in the series.
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Volume One)
  • No Life for a Lady
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • Lady Anna
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • George Washington
  • War Party
Ralph Moody was an American author who wrote 17 novels and autobiographies about the American West. He was born in East Rochester, New Hampshire, in 1898 but moved to Colorado with his family when he was eight in the hopes that a dry climate would improve his father Charles's tuberculosis. Moody detailed his experiences in Colorado in the first book of the Little Britches series, Father and I Were ...more
More about Ralph Moody...

Little Britches (8 books)
  • Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1)
  • Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2)
  • The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)
  • Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)
  • The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5)
  • Shaking the Nickel Bush (Little Britches, #6)
  • Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover (Little Britches, #8)
Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1) Man of the Family (Little Britches, #2) The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3) The Fields of Home (Little Britches, #5) Mary Emma & Company (Little Britches, #4)