Christian Unschooling : Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ

Christian Unschooling : Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Finally, a Christian homeschooling book that allows you to think outside the box.

Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ utilizes the essays of Christian, unschooling parents from across the United States and Canada to reveal a new way of homeschooling-one that is respectful of the child, the parents and the way God created children to be.

Pack...more
Published March 20th 2001 by Champion Press (WI)

Katie
I was intrigued by the title, but ultimately disappointed by the book. It is obviously written from a somewhat defensive point of view, aimed at chalkboard-in-the-kitchen conservative evangelical homeschoolers. The elementary errors of spelling and grammar were not reassuring, nor was the author's informing us that while she was afraid of math and science, her 6th grader was able to count out an entire roll of coins! I do think unschooling can work for some families but probably not nearly so ma...more
Sheila
I read this years ago, at a time when I was trying to convince myself that unschooling and Christianity were compatible. While I don't think this book promotes unschooling in its purest, most radical form, its saving grace is that it will introduce Christians to kinder, gentler, more relaxed ways of being with their children than they will hear from the Dobson crowd.
Brianne
This was a great book for me to read. While I am not adopting a total unschool approach to our homeschooling method, this book helped me realize a lot of important things. It helped me realize that it's okay to relax! It opened my eyes to the fact that a lot of learning takes place naturally. It helped me see that my children will always have things they're interested in, and that if I allow them to pursue those interests, their learning of a great amount of subjects encompassed in those ones wi...more
Kate Hyde
I am a Christian, and I plan to unschool my daughter (who is now 3). I didn't know there was a community out there of Christians who unschool, so I'm very happy to know that there is. I had never thought of it before, but it makes sense that children in Biblical times were unschooled. I was especially encouraged to hear Isaiah 54:13 -

"All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children."

This obviously doesn't mean that God will be the teacher in a classr...more
Leiloni Schulz
This book sheds the light on unschooling as there is a lot more to it than people think. There are also many ways to do it and there is no wrong or right way. One of the authors in a short essay in the book describes it as "Child led learning."
Emily
I admit to being an "educated" college graduate who hasn't discovered my passion and is only beginning to learn how to learn. I definitely learned how to "do School," but I am finally immersing myself in learning and following my heart. Since I need my time now to do this, I need my kids in the best school environment for the free babysitting, but I may pull them out so we can explore this amazing God-given world eventually!
Becca
Really enjoyed this book, though I don't think unschooling, in its purest form, is the path we will choose. I do want to include some of the concepts, like making learning revolve around things that interest my kids, and develop their passion for life. Very good book to read even if you have no intention of unschooling.
Joy Means
Very Inspiring!
Staci
Although I don't think unschooling is for me, I really enjoyed this book! It was thought provoking and opened my eyes to what unschooling really looks like and that it can be a positive way to grow your children!
Ariana
May 10, 2009 Ariana added it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: borrowed
Although unschooling is thought of as practically anarchy among many conservative Christians, this is a very good argument for giving children freedom to both learn and to know Christ.
Vicky
I get more and more convinced this is what our family needs, and this book was no exception. Good, easy to read, lots of anecdotes and sound theology.
Jessica
Great set of essays outlining the many different ways 'unschooling' can manifest itself. Very God centered and encouraging.
Kirsten Harrison
Kirsten Harrison marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Jun 12, 2014
Vanessa Mcmillen
Vanessa Mcmillen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Rainey Daye
Rainey Daye marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Thelma
Thelma marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013