Start by marking “Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)” as Want to Read:
Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)

Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,899 ratings  ·  145 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Stephen White brings back his popular character, psychologist Alan Gregory, to take on the sociopathic killer from White’s first novel—who, many years later, has walked away from a mental hospital, hungry for revenge.

It has been years since the mayhem was unleashed in Privileged Information. Now Michael McClelland, the brilliant, determi

Hardcover
Published March 6th 2007 by Dutton Adult (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dry Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dry Ice

Dlora
Stephen White is a really excellent writer. This book in the series continues developing Dr. Gregory's character and relationship with his family and friends. It is more a psychological than an action thriller, though there are still dead bodies, suspense and tension, and a crazy killer. I liked the psychological term sublimation, which means taking a traumatic life-shattering event in your life and changing it into something positive that you can live with. I thought Dry Ice was going to be abo ...more
Jan C
I've had the hardcover on my shelf for years. But, driving home from Christmas this year I reached back into the bag of audio books I carry in the car and pulled this one out. I didn't even remember I had it.

I enjoyed it. It harked back to the first book so I was willing to read it out of order. Since I'm still stuck on #3, Higher Authority.

10/12/13

Re-listened to this one on my way back from NC - by the way, that trip was a bust with the National Forest still closed. The road might have been ope
Iowa City Public Library
Alan Gregory’s life seems to be falling apart. He’s drinking too much. His wife is distant. A patient of his psychiatric practice has just hanged herself, and he bungled the sessions enough not to even realize her gender. A psychopath he’d helped put away years before has escaped, and seems to be stalking him.

You know where this is going, don’t you? A scary, drawn out conclusion, probably in a dark basement, cherry-on-topped with some extreme and innovative violence, right? Well, no. The psychop
KarenC
Dec 23, 2010 KarenC rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to KarenC by: series

IMHO, not one of White's better books in the series; the worst I've read yet. The plot has the potential for real pulse-quickening suspense, but for some reason White chooses to kill it with over-analysis. This book reminds us that White is a psychologist at every possible turn, almost like going with White to his own mental health caretaker. There is too much angst over each situation, too much repetitive agonizing over "secrets," too much repetitive description of the beautiful Boulder, CO sce

Diane
Alan Gregory is a Colorado Psychologist with something to hide. In Dry Ice, it is not long before his past and the secrets he has been hiding gegin to surface. When one of Alan's former patients escapes from The Colorado State Mental Hospital things heat up for Alan Gregory.

At the same time, Alan's wife Lauren is a Boulder, Colorado prosecutor assigned to a high profile and sensitive grand jury investigation, where the key witness has vanished. When Alan finds the woman's Coach handbag in his ya
Kim
This is the first Stephen White book I've read, but it certainly won't be the last. I really, really enjoyed it and found it wonderfully unpredictable (hard to find anymore in mysteries it seems) and real as well. I always like to find a favorite line or passage in a book -- one that just jumps out at me. In this book it was this passage:
"Teresa used exclamation points as though she'd won a life-time supply on a game show. She thought she'd never run out. By contrast, I lived life as though I'd
Michelle Meckley
I had never heard of this author b/f and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked his writing. this is the 2nd book in this series and in the begin it seemed I was going to be lost on the plot but White did good job of incorporating both stories so i could follow
Dr Alan Gregory is a psych who patients seem to die and family and friends are in bunches of trouble all at the hand of a sociopathic mastermind Michael Mclaelland this psycho is out to get revenge on this doctor and does so is the
Gentleman Farmer
Dry Ice by Stephen White, features his protagonist, Alan Gregory. I think I've read an Alan Gregory novel once before, though it was several years ago.

Alan Gregory is a psychologist, and in the novels he uses his psychological expertise to unravel mysteries. It sounds from this that perhaps he uses psychology tricks to catch criminals, but it's fascinating in that it's much more the passive, therapeutic approach he takes that permits him to listen, encourage confidences and piece together the
Forgetfulone
A great psychological thriller, overall. The beginning is somewhat slow and focuses too much on secrets. That part is rather repetitive. It picks up, though, and gets into a complex tale with a villain from one of White's prior novels. The author skillfully shows the reader why he titled his book Dry Ice, not for one, but two reasons. There are some surprises, as one expects from White. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Suzanne
It had been a while since I had read this one and when I started to read the next in the series, I decided to re-read this one to refresh my memory on what was going on with the main characters.

This was the most recent of the Dr. Alan Gregory mystery novels. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the previous ones however I love this series! They are based in Boulder and it's fun reading about places I know.
Marilyn
I like Stephen White because his books are set in Colorado and it's nice to read about familiar places. The stories are always intriguing, but I was expecting a bit more grit in this one. The story was more of a psychological thriller. The twist at the end seemed out of place since it had nothing to do with the main storyline. But still, a good summer read.
Ryane
Phyllis Sommers
Another novel in the Dr. Alan Gregory series and, as such, another portrayal of the somewhat glib clinical psychologist at a time when he and his wife are experiencing marital problems. Dr. Gregory and his wife, Assistant D.A. Lauren, are more than dismayed to learn that an old nemesis, Michael McClelland, has escaped from the psychiatric facility to which he'd been committed after being convicted of murder and, in addition, the attempted murders of the Gregorys and their dear friend, police det ...more
Ginny
An Alan Gregory novel. Alan is accused of murder, Lauren is having trouble with her MS, and one of Alan's first and most dangerous patients has escaped from care. Could life get any more complicated for Dr. Gregory. Stephen White does a good job of keeping us guessing and dealing with all of Alan's angst.
Skyqueen
Secrets. He treated the subject admirably and let us know that there are some things we WOULD do to keep those secrets. Although it is even more complicated than that. And that is what I like about his books. Always the dilemma: Good vs Evil, Right vs Wrong, Honor vs Dishonor, Truth vs Lies. Sometimes there is no easy answer and he covers that beautifully.

"I have MS.
Until that instant her illness had been secret from me. I recognized at some level that her words were not a simple moment of revel
Luan
Stephen White manages to craft suspense fiction that's wonderfully crafted in language and description. I always listen to suspense on tape so I can clean house at the same time and I'll hear something read and think, wow, he's a really good writer.
John
Stephen White is my favorite crime/mystery/psychological thriller writer. A character in the series has MS, which helps with the situations I face in reality. Very good books. You must start at the beginning to enjoy the series.
Sara Wright
Stephen White is my favorite mystery writer. He is a psychologist who lives in Boulder, CO, and so I can relate to both the profession and the location. He weaves characters with thrill to create a story that you can't put down.
Emily
As per the title... "dry." This was a mystery book club... book. If I had not read another book by White, I would probably would never read him again but Kill Me is one of my favorites... so I'll try him again.
Stefani
Jul 06, 2008 Stefani added it
Recommends it for: everyone that just likes a book for fun
This book is just pure fun. Has all of the elements I love - psychology, murder, suicide, transgender, illness, children, dogs - and all in the setting of Boulder, CO.
Janice
Stephen White continues to amaze with me with the intricate plots, exciting twists and turns in each book--I will definitely keep reading this series.
Sally/Aymster54
Stephen White is always good for a light, enjoyable plot, especially when I'm in a book slump. The stories are not too deep, but fun to read just the same.
Alison Coffey
My favorite Stephen White book so far. Probably because it had the most angst.
Steve
My first White, listened to as an audio book. The reader mumbled a bit at times. Plot holes you could drive a truck through (the whole connection between him being a suspect and his wife and best friend being involved in an investigation that has ties to the murder victims - yet they seem to stay on the case way too long).

I Live in Denver, so enjoyed the Boulder/CO setting. He writes too much and too long, but I do look forward to listening to another abridged audio of one of his novels.
Jody
This one started out slow for me. I mean real slow, slow as in I read three other books while I was reading this one but then over half way through it took off. I had read only one Stephen White novel before so I as semi-familiar with the characters but from the book jacket there was a prequel sometime in the past that I haven't read so that might be why this one seemed so slow. I don't know, I cannot really put my finger on why this book didn't do it for me, (surely if you have read enough book ...more
Dawn
I love Stephen White and his continuing psychologist character, Alan Gregory. I’ve read and enjoyed all of his books. A quick aside note: Dr. Alan Gregory is a psychologist in Boulder, Colorado where he also lives with his wife and daughter. Stephen White actually lives in Denver (he previously lived in Boulder) and so he weaves local locations and flavors into his books. It’s a lot of fun, especially for me, having grown up so near Boulder, being able to identify many of the places he talks abo ...more
Annie
Feb 11, 2008 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thriller/mystery readers
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Contemporary cerebral thrillers don't get much better than bestseller White's 15th novel (after Kill Me), which deftly combines complex characterization and intricate plotting. White's debut novel, Privileged Information, introduced Boulder, Colo., psychologist Alan Gregory and the clever but deadly Michael McClelland, a former meteorologist turned killer, whose rampage almost cost Gregory and his wife, Lauren, their lives. In this sequel, while Lauren, a lo
Simone Sinna
Plenty of therapy gone wrong, action and suspense as White has a previous killer/stalker escape and Alan Gregory’s life, family and practice are under threat. There’s plenty of dramas in his family life and tension with his wife as well. What makes these so enjoyable is the pace, how everything is interwoven and that there is never a dull moment. Any therapist planning to put a fountain in their waiting room, advice from this- don’t!
Gail Lindenberg
Another Steven White

Dr. Alan Gregory serves up another portion of a mixed bag of family sorrow, challenged by personal circumstance and vengeful villains. this book was pretty grim, with one sadness and injustice after another. Likable characters undergo horrid losses...and the bad news just keeps coming. In spite of the depressing circumstances, it was still a most enjoyable read.
Jodi
  • Bad Medicine
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
  • Heartstone
  • Killing Custer (Wind River Reservation, #17)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6-7)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • A Dark and Lonely Place
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • Killer Dust (Em Hansen Mystery, #8)
  • Judgment of the Grave
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • Escape the Night
  • The Alibi Man (Elena Estes, #2)
  • Back Of Beyond (Cody Hoyt, #1)
  • Eye of Vengeance
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...

Alan Gregory (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
  • Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)

“Secrets aren't secret. They're just hidden treasures, waiting to be exploited.” 14 likes