Start by marking “Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)

Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Two decades before the Civil War, an eight-year-old Southern heiress longs for the love of the father she has never known--but when they meet at last, nothing is as Elsie expects. Can the proud and willful Horace Dinsmore learn to love his only child--a little girl whose first allegiance is to God?
Published August 6th 2006 by Zonderkidz (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Endless Wait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Endless Wait

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisChristy by Catherine MarshallElsie's Endless Wait by Martha FinleyElsie's Impossible Choice by Martha FinleyThe Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
Best Christian ficiton books of all times
3rd out of 61 books — 10 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettRuby Red by Kerstin Gier
Favorite Books I Own
40th out of 241 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
I learned a lot about a strong relationship with God through this book and enjoyed it very much! I read it when I got my wisdom teeth out and it kept my mind off the pain reading about a young girl's relationship with God!
Elizabeth
I don't know how I finished this book. Elsie is the perfect child with no faults whatsoever. The entire novel is painful and incredibly annoying to read. I also don't know how the author wrote so many books when she has no storyline except how obedient and good Elsie is. Sickening characters, sickening story. I would never recommend this series!
Leah
Nov 06, 2008 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Leah by: I got it at my Church library
Shelves: life-of-faith
It is cool, because it shows about a girl's struggle to be a Christian while waiting for her father.It really encourages me to live for God!
Julia
i the elsie books changed my life.i feel much closer to god.i want to try to be just like elsie!i changed my attitude.
Strawberryblonde
Jan 14, 2014 Strawberryblonde rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every girl
Ok people, I admit, I cried while reading this book. It was so very emotional. It's about this little girl and her name is Elsie Dinsmore. All she wants is her earthly father's love. I highly suggest reading this book because of the little girl's strong desire to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, and her desire for wanting her father's love. I can relate to her because I want to do what is right and I so badly want my earthly father's love.
Mary
This book actually brought tears to my eyes but what this girl overcomes is so inspiring. This is a great read for younger girls.
Makayla
May 31, 2008 Makayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Elsie is a great role model for all girls. I learned a lot from this book and I recommend this book to everyone.
Megan
Apr 11, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Megan by: mom
This is a Christian book that you will learn alot from.
Cindi
This series of books was written over 100 years ago as stories to teach children proper manners and Christian values. While some parts of the story may seem outdated, they still hold valuable lessons for both children and adults.

In this first title in the series, the reader is introduced to Elsie who is living with her grandfather and step-grandmother and their children. Her mother died in childbirth and she has never met her father. SHe is often mistreated by her family memebers and longs for h...more
Lisa Rathbun
This book bugged me so much! I appreciated very much Elsie's heart for the Lord; I loved how she truly wanted to live for him. But Horace was a first-class jerk. I have no respect for him or his character and reading about him drove me crazy.

Perhaps had I found this as a child who also desired to live for God (although with much less success than Elsie and also in much less trying circumstances), I would have enjoyed it more, but coming to it as an adult only showed me Horace's weaknesses and t...more
Danielle
I loved it. I couldn't help falling in lover with the series. Elsie is so young, yet so mature! I could never be like that at my age. I'm struggling, for even though my family believes in Christianity, I feel as if we're not quite there yet. When I read the entire series, I feel so close to God.
Karissa
This book series is precious! I've read the first two books (currently reading the third in the series) and have loved them. The books are intended for girls around 10 years old but they are fun for adults to too. And the best part is they are uplifting and inspire me to grow in my faith. I hope my daughter will read these with me one day.
Leigh Hauserman
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! they are my favorite series. I've read and re-read the life of faith. a must read for all Christians!
Jessica
This is the first book in a series of books adapted from Martha Finley's original works. They changed some of the language in the books to 'more modern language' to make them easier for children to read. My 9 year old loved this book and begged me to read it. It is about an 8 year old girl who has been taught to believe in God and Jesus, and to turn to her Bible in times of trial. She strives to be a good girl amidst unfair treatment and uncaring realatives. We are adding this series to our home...more
Quinlyn
Alright, so where do I begin? I am a huge Life of Faith series fan. I had read the original Elsie Dinsmore books before this, and they were a little more involved, but overall, this one is very much the same as the one written by Martha Finley. It's a sweet story but Elsie can definitely get on your nerves with her sweetness and her over-used tear ducts. The second book is very depressing, but after that they get better. Overall, I liked it.
Kristin
The first of the series, which is now hard to get. I wish I would have had good Christian books growing up. Lexie enjoyed reading about life in the south on a plantation, specifically the governess, schooling and the strictness of the rules! The heroine struggles as she waits for her father to return from Europe. She's never seen him and she's 8! Her faith helps her to withstand the injustices of the family she lives with.
MizziQ
Apr 12, 2011 MizziQ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, Read-aloud seekers, Girls 8-10
Shelves: christian
When I first read this I loved this. The problem is, by the time you are old enough to read it you are too old for the content. I reccomend it for a read-aloud. I read it the first time and I fell in love with it. The second time I got the feeling the girl was too whiny. She seemed TOO perfect. More so than anybody could ever be. Overall, read it, but don't re-read it. The book is also very girly.
Aspen
Best series ever!!!!!!!!! But I cried endlessly in the 2nd book.... Super sad but moving
Ratforce
Martha Finley writes several different Life of Faith books for girls of varying age groups. The series Elsie Dinsmore: A Life of Faith is for a younger audience and tells the story of a girl in the 1840s who stands up for her family and her principles against seemingly insurmountable odds. The series follows Elsie as she grows up and learns valuable life lessons.
Traci Francis-danker
She loves these!!!
Mboggler2011
though I haven't completely finished reading the 1st book, but I've found my tears keep falling on my face because of the gentle spirit that Elsie have. This is truly an inspiration, it gives and pumps your faith more in God simply confirming that He is in total control of everything. I think, I'll make it a goal to finish it's other books.
Liv
Sep 30, 2008 Liv rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liv by: A missionary in Africa...
If there were any book that changed the way I looked at and lived life as a younger girl, this series did it. Even my parents noticed a difference in me after I read these books. I know many people who don't enjoy them at all, so opinions vary. But I would recommend these books to any girl, teenager, or woman as some of my favorite.
Jayne
I liked this book for one reason: It was set in one of my favorite times in history. Even though it wasn't very exciting, it was about life back then. I actually don't remember much about it since I read it awhile ago. I just want to know if it's worth reading the other books...is it?
Rob
Though designed with a focus on a Southern heiress, this book has principles for all. Written in the period of the late 1800's it is wholly idealistic with plenty of challenges that face the heroine. A must read for children and parents as a discussion tool.
Meadow
A young heiress longs for the love of a father she has never met, but when they do, she finds that he is far from the father she imagined.

This book is sweet, and easy to read for young children, but the original Elsie Dinsmore books are better.
Abby
While this book (and the rest of the series)may seem too...sanctimonious to some because of Elsie's "perfection" and "perfect" love for God, the story line is meant to build good character.
Kiernan Holton
I like Elsie's story. I just reread books 1, 2, and 4 the other day. I love the story line and, though Elsie seems a little to picture perfect at times, her unshakeable faith is challenging.
Starla
A book to encourage a young girl to read from age 8 on. I really enjoyed reading about Elsie's Christian faith and her walk as she is reunited with her dad.
Katie Sheetz
I love Elsie and feel I can never truly understand her. If I were her I would be hateful of Enna and Arthur but she is so kind and nice to them.
Inna
read this whole series 5 times or more.
shows the love a young girl has for GDo despite her dads hate toward him and anger towards her.
Elsie's Endless Wait 2 18 Mar 10, 2013 07:29PM
  • Darien's Rise (Adventures In Odyssey: Passages, #1)
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • Prairie River: A Journey of Faith (Prairie River, #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • Mandie and the Unwanted Gift (Mandie Books, 29)
  • Gasparilla's Treasure
  • Here's Lily! (Young Women of Faith: Lily Series, #1)
  • The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)
  • On the Run: The Young Trib Force Faces Danger (Left Behind: The Kids, #10)
  • The Hurricane Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #54)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • Felicity's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...
Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1) Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #2) Elsie's New Life (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #3) Elsie's Stolen Heart (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #4) Elsie's True Love (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #5)