Start by marking “Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)

Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  775 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Two decades before the Civil War, an eight-year-old Southern heiress longs for the love of the father she has never known--but when they meet at last, nothing is as Elsie expects. Can the proud and willful Horace Dinsmore learn to love his only child--a little girl whose first allegiance is to God?
Published August 6th 2006 by Zonderkidz (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Endless Wait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Endless Wait

Becky
Apr 03, 2015 Becky rated it did not like it
The basis of this book is an eight year old girl has never met her father. Then he comes and at first hates her, and then decides "hey, I can parent. Why not, how hard can this be?"
He spends most of the book being emotionally abusive, refusing all displays of affection, punishing her for accidents or things that aren't her fault, and assuming the worst of her even though others who have known her longer tell him she's a good girl. He separates her from her friends (see: Lucy), changes her diet
Leah
Nov 06, 2008 Leah rated it liked it
Recommended to Leah by: I got it at my Church library
Shelves: life-of-faith
It is cool, because it shows about a girl's struggle to be a Christian while waiting for her father.It really encourages me to live for God!
Elizabeth Terrall
Dec 12, 2012 Elizabeth Terrall rated it did not like it
I don't know how I finished this book. Elsie is the perfect child with no faults whatsoever. The entire novel is painful and incredibly annoying to read. I also don't know how the author wrote so many books when she has no storyline except how obedient and good Elsie is. Sickening characters, sickening story. I would never recommend this series!
Julia
Jul 03, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
i the elsie books changed my life.i feel much closer to god.i want to try to be just like elsie!i changed my attitude.
Jennah
Oct 23, 2015 Jennah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every girl
Ok people, I admit, I cried while reading this book. It was so very emotional. It's about this little girl and her name is Elsie Dinsmore. All she wants is her earthly father's love. I highly suggest reading this book because of the little girl's strong desire to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, and her desire for wanting her father's love. I can relate to her because I want to do what is right and I so badly want my earthly father's love.
Mary
Sep 08, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book actually brought tears to my eyes but what this girl overcomes is so inspiring. This is a great read for younger girls.
Makayla
May 31, 2008 Makayla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Elsie is a great role model for all girls. I learned a lot from this book and I recommend this book to everyone.
Megan
Apr 11, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Megan by: mom
This is a Christian book that you will learn alot from.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{This blog is Two Years Old this week! Eeek! It’s party time! Everyday till Friday there’ll be a new review and giveaway! On Saturday a Double giveaway and wrap-up will be posted! Get your noise makers out and let’s celebrate!} {Enter Giveaway #1 Here!} {Enter Giveaway #2 Here!}

About this book:

“Miss Rose asked Elsie, 'Your father is away, isn't he?' Elsie looked up and replied wistfully, 'Yes, ma'am. He's in Europe. He has been away since before I was born, and I've never seen him. Oh, I do wish
Cindi
Jun 30, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it
This series of books was written over 100 years ago as stories to teach children proper manners and Christian values. While some parts of the story may seem outdated, they still hold valuable lessons for both children and adults.

In this first title in the series, the reader is introduced to Elsie who is living with her grandfather and step-grandmother and their children. Her mother died in childbirth and she has never met her father. SHe is often mistreated by her family memebers and longs for h
Lisa Rathbun
This book bugged me so much! I appreciated very much Elsie's heart for the Lord; I loved how she truly wanted to live for him. But Horace was a first-class jerk. I have no respect for him or his character and reading about him drove me crazy.

Perhaps had I found this as a child who also desired to live for God (although with much less success than Elsie and also in much less trying circumstances), I would have enjoyed it more, but coming to it as an adult only showed me Horace's weaknesses and t
Becki
I got this book because I read about it in a catalog and thought that Ashley might like it (and she could even learn some good, moral lessons from it).\n\nIt is a really good book. A little simplistic at parts. But there is a lot of Scripture and a lot of references to salvation. \n\nI liked it.
Danielle
Apr 11, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I couldn't help falling in lover with the series. Elsie is so young, yet so mature! I could never be like that at my age. I'm struggling, for even though my family believes in Christianity, I feel as if we're not quite there yet. When I read the entire series, I feel so close to God.
Karissa
Jan 29, 2014 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This book series is precious! I've read the first two books (currently reading the third in the series) and have loved them. The books are intended for girls around 10 years old but they are fun for adults to too. And the best part is they are uplifting and inspire me to grow in my faith. I hope my daughter will read these with me one day.
Leigh Hauserman
May 08, 2014 Leigh Hauserman rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! they are my favorite series. I've read and re-read the life of faith. a must read for all Christians!
Jessica
Sep 29, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a series of books adapted from Martha Finley's original works. They changed some of the language in the books to 'more modern language' to make them easier for children to read. My 9 year old loved this book and begged me to read it. It is about an 8 year old girl who has been taught to believe in God and Jesus, and to turn to her Bible in times of trial. She strives to be a good girl amidst unfair treatment and uncaring realatives. We are adding this series to our home ...more
Zizi
Feb 04, 2015 Zizi added it
loved it.
Quinlyn
Apr 24, 2012 Quinlyn rated it liked it
Alright, so where do I begin? I am a huge Life of Faith series fan. I had read the original Elsie Dinsmore books before this, and they were a little more involved, but overall, this one is very much the same as the one written by Martha Finley. It's a sweet story but Elsie can definitely get on your nerves with her sweetness and her over-used tear ducts. The second book is very depressing, but after that they get better. Overall, I liked it.
Kristin
Mar 15, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
The first of the series, which is now hard to get. I wish I would have had good Christian books growing up. Lexie enjoyed reading about life in the south on a plantation, specifically the governess, schooling and the strictness of the rules! The heroine struggles as she waits for her father to return from Europe. She's never seen him and she's 8! Her faith helps her to withstand the injustices of the family she lives with.
MizziQ
Apr 12, 2011 MizziQ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians, Read-aloud seekers, Girls 8-10
Shelves: christian
When I first read this I loved this. The problem is, by the time you are old enough to read it you are too old for the content. I reccomend it for a read-aloud. I read it the first time and I fell in love with it. The second time I got the feeling the girl was too whiny. She seemed TOO perfect. More so than anybody could ever be. Overall, read it, but don't re-read it. The book is also very girly.
Ratforce
Martha Finley writes several different Life of Faith books for girls of varying age groups. The series Elsie Dinsmore: A Life of Faith is for a younger audience and tells the story of a girl in the 1840s who stands up for her family and her principles against seemingly insurmountable odds. The series follows Elsie as she grows up and learns valuable life lessons.
Traci Francis-danker
Jan 19, 2014 Traci Francis-danker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gracie
She loves these!!!
Mboggler2011
Feb 26, 2012 Mboggler2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves:
though I haven't completely finished reading the 1st book, but I've found my tears keep falling on my face because of the gentle spirit that Elsie have. This is truly an inspiration, it gives and pumps your faith more in God simply confirming that He is in total control of everything. I think, I'll make it a goal to finish it's other books.
Liv
Sep 30, 2008 Liv rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Liv by: A missionary in Africa...
If there were any book that changed the way I looked at and lived life as a younger girl, this series did it. Even my parents noticed a difference in me after I read these books. I know many people who don't enjoy them at all, so opinions vary. But I would recommend these books to any girl, teenager, or woman as some of my favorite.
Jayne
Mar 21, 2009 Jayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book for one reason: It was set in one of my favorite times in history. Even though it wasn't very exciting, it was about life back then. I actually don't remember much about it since I read it awhile ago. I just want to know if it's worth reading the other books...is it?
Rob
Apr 04, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Though designed with a focus on a Southern heiress, this book has principles for all. Written in the period of the late 1800's it is wholly idealistic with plenty of challenges that face the heroine. A must read for children and parents as a discussion tool.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 14, 2013 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young heiress longs for the love of a father she has never met, but when they do, she finds that he is far from the father she imagined.

This book is sweet, and easy to read for young children, but the original Elsie Dinsmore books are better.
Abby
Mar 06, 2013 Abby rated it it was amazing
While this book (and the rest of the series)may seem too...sanctimonious to some because of Elsie's "perfection" and "perfect" love for God, the story line is meant to build good character.
Kiernan Holton
Jul 13, 2013 Kiernan Holton rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I like Elsie's story. I just reread books 1, 2, and 4 the other day. I love the story line and, though Elsie seems a little to picture perfect at times, her unshakeable faith is challenging.
Elsie's Endless Wait 2 18 Mar 10, 2013 07:29PM
  • Prairie River: Winter Tidings (Prairie River, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret UFOs
  • Mandie and the Courtroom Battle (Mandie Books, 27)
  • Darien's Rise (Adventures In Odyssey: Passages, #1)
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • The Mayflower Adventure (The American Adventure, #1)
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • The Adventures of Caterwaul the Cat: Feline Pie
  • Taken  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1-4)
  • Tirzah
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore (8 books)
  • Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #2)
  • Elsie's New Life (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #3)
  • Elsie's Stolen Heart (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #4)
  • Elsie's True Love (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #5)
  • Elsie's Troubled Times (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #6)
  • Elsie's Tender Mercies (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #7)
  • Elsie's Great Hope (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #8)