Start by marking “The Noonday Friends” as Want to Read:
The Noonday Friends

The Noonday Friends

Eleven-year-old Franny Davis and her best friend share school and family problems in this realistic, often humorous story set in New York's Greenwich Village.

1966 Newbery Honor Book
Notable Children's Books of 1965 (ALA)
Children's Books of 1965 (Library of Congress)
"City" Books of the Sixties (The Instructor)
Published September 29th 1995 by HarperTrophy (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Noonday Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Noonday Friends

Conductoid by M.B. LehaneThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald Dahl
Books for ten-year-olds
283rd out of 310 books — 412 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineBecause of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamilloHatchet by Gary PaulsenPrincess Academy by Shannon Hale
Newbery Medal Honor Books
315th out of 318 books — 343 voters

More lists with this book...

Luann
I thought this would be another of those nice-enough Newbery Honor books that I read and enjoy at the time but then later can only vaguely remember the characters and the storyline. I really enjoyed the two other Mary Stolz books I've read: A Dog on Barkham Street and The Bully of Barkham Street, so I guess I should have expected more. This did start out as a nice-enough story sort of reminiscent of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with its New York City setting and just-surviving poor family, only for ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 12, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: coming-of-age
Betsy
Aug 30, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing
One of my two favorite Mary Stolz books. Just last night I was telling my husband about the chapter where the little brother yearns to stay up all night and is given that as a birthday gift.
Josiah
Jul 16, 2011 Josiah rated it liked it
This is one of the more charming stories that I've read in some time; charming, yet in many ways unexpected. From all synopses of this book that I'd read, I had anticipated a tale chiefly focused on the troubles and rewards of contemporary friendship in New York City in the 1960s. While there is some of that in here, The Noonday Friends is actually a snapshot of the workings of a family as a whole, and how everything that being a member of that family—including outside elements such as relation ...more
Linda Lipko
There is a lot to like about this 1966 Newbery Honor book. It is a simple tale of youth seen through the eyes of 11 year old Franny Davis.

This is a book of values. A child of poverty, living in a tiny apartment in Greenich Village, New York, Franny has keen insights into her family. Her father is loving, but not the bread winner he needs to be. He is a fast talking, amiable artist who loves his family, but cannot hold a job.

Her mother has dreams of an education, but toils long hours as a labor
Jill
Mar 16, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Stolz, Mary; Glanzman, Louis S.; The Noonday Friends, Harper & Row, 1965, Realistic Fiction, 4th - 7th, rate: 4 , lexile 790L

This was a story about a family named the Davises: a mom, a dad, and their three kids Jim, Marshall, and Franny. They are a lower income family whose father finds it hard to keep a job. There is a close relationship with Franny and her 5 year old brother Marshall, who always play together once Franny is out of school; hence the name of the book The Nooonday Friends. It
Susann
Jun 15, 2008 Susann rated it really liked it
Shelves: ursula-nordstrom
"They looked at each other with that rising hope that human beings, no matter what the past has been, can always bring to fresh occasions."
I thought this was going to focus solely on the Franny/Simone relationship, but was happy to discover that it beautifully covers so much more. The Greenwich Village "poor" neighborhood setting is some of Manhattan's most expensive real estate now, but the hardships of the working poor are still all too real.
Heather
Sep 15, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
One of the things that most impressed me when I first read this was Marshall's major haul of cereal-box prizes! Thirty years later, I think about the impossibility of raising three children on one salary in the Village. Sweet portrait of a lost way of life.
Me
Feb 01, 2011 Me rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child and still remember adoring the character of Marshall. I remember he threw a temper tantrum in the store and later for his birthday the elderly neighbor gave him a huge bag of cereal box toys.
Renee
Dec 12, 2015 Renee rated it liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
Franny Davis is an eleven-year-old girl who just wants to be like rich girls. She wants to have the nice clothes, and the paper bag lunches. She struggles at home as her dad searches for work and her mom works full time. She also is challenged as she has a falling out with her best friend, Simone.

Exploring the themes in this book would be very powerful in a classroom setting. The hardships at home and at school that Franny overcomes are hardships that several kids also face. Seeing Franny work t
Jill
Sep 15, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery-honor
2.5 stars, to be precise. The little brother in this book reminds me a little of Sam in Lois Lowry’s book “All About Sam”. Not a particularly memorable book but the author does write relationship dynamics well.

“Marshall liked Mrs. Mundy. But not very much. Not all of the time. She was long and thin and stiff. Marshall, looking up at her from his low height, sometimes thought she looked like a telephone pole with a face.”

“His wife, once an Irish beauty, had grown thin and sharp-featured, and stil
Thomas Bell
I thought it was a pretty good book, but I had kind of a hard time throughout the book understanding what the point of the book actually was.

The main character in the book is a preteen girl. She lives in Greenwich Village, a poor part of downtown Manhattan. We learn about her relationship with a couple other girls her age. We learn about her dad who can't for the life of him keep a job because he would prefer to paint or to daydream. We learn about her little brother and his perspective on life.
Angela Mcentee
Oct 21, 2013 Angela Mcentee rated it really liked it
another very enjoyable, more realistic book of urban living. I could relate b/c I had a noonday friend (a school best friend) and while we were best friends at school, we almost never hung out together after school.
the other thing that made a huge impression was Marshall getting that box of all those cereal prizes... that was like winning the children's version of the lottery! also, his parents let him stay up all night! his big wish!
Caianelli
Apr 19, 2012 Caianelli rated it liked it
An interesting story considering the lives of a poor american girl, her best friend an immigrant and the entwined lives of their two families. Contains a different point of view every chapter but overall heartwarming with a happy ending. Shows that girls, no matter who they are and where they come from are all filled with the same insecurities, squabbles and friendships in life.
Jennifer Ramirez
May 20, 2012 Jennifer Ramirez rated it liked it
The Noonday Friends is a good book, but it's not my favorite. I would recommend this book if you like friendship books that are heart warming. I like how the book shows that no matter in what conditions you are it can't stand between a friendship because in the book one of the girls is poor and then they stop being friends for a while, but then they become best friends again.
Stephanie A.
A classic older story offering a well-rounded look into a poor working class family through the eyes of the 11-year-old girl.
Sara Nur
Jul 24, 2013 Sara Nur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read! It's a book to read on a rainy day.
Mckinley
Jun 14, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Girl with family obligations has less time for friends. Feels dated.
Abigail
Jun 03, 2016 Abigail rated it liked it
Good - realistic fiction - 1950's
Sophia McKenzie
Sep 24, 2007 Sophia McKenzie rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a girl.
Phillip
Laurie
May 01, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
great!
Amy
Amy added it
Sep 21, 2016
Rayjan Koehler
Rayjan Koehler marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Sep 02, 2016
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Warrior Librarian
Warrior Librarian rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Tamii
Tamii marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016