Start by marking “Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)” as Want to Read:
Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)

Time Scout (Time Scout #1)

Kit Carson best time scout is retired now shadowing endangers his life, can get caught at same time and die. Gamine redhead Margo 16 wants him to teach her. Malcolm 30s guides her in Victorian England. Mistakes get worse, she runs away in Coliseum era Rome. Her trip through dying Gate to Africa 1542 may be their last; grandpa Kit and lover Malcolm head to rescue.
Published March 1st 2004 by Baen Books (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Time Scout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Scout

Bryan
Nov 09, 2009 Bryan rated it it was ok

Recipe for Ruin:
Take one REALLY GREAT time travel framework.
Add one REALLY TERRIBLE main character.
Mix in one REALLY CREEPY romance.

Yes, Robert Asprin: you ruined it! Or more accurately, your character Margo Smith from the book ruined it!

So what's so great about the time travel? It's really unique and well developed. I'll explain some of the premise, because most people quit after the first novel but you get more details as you progress through all of the books in the series.

Betule Sairafi
Jan 08, 2012 Betule Sairafi rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh. The story seemed interesting, and I tried to get at least halfway through, but the stupid girl acts /way/ too childish. When you expect some progress in the storyline, all you get is her annoying attitude. I’m glad I don’t have a physical copy because I’m totally anti-book burning but this one is really asking for it.
An Odd1
Dec 02, 2014 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
Lectures are boring for us too, use over half book "black powder" p 270/ 453. Action is best part. Unstable gate to 1542 p 353 Africa may be their last. Kit, Margo's grandpa, and Malcolm, her sweetheart, rescue "pretty package" p 285, despite danger to selves; Kit may die from shadowing.

More than once "laughter went through the crowd at the silly pun" p 278. Not funny if pun has to be stated outright. I didn't get the puns, ever. One is "when the Games open, it will be arena seating" p 278. Huh
The other John
Sep 07, 2009 The other John rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
This one's a run-of-the-mill time agent story, in this case the agents are tour guides. In this tale, an experiment gone wrong has resulted in wormholes through time, linking past and present locations. Entrepreneurs have capitalized on the wormholes--called "gates" at their present day end--offering tours of the past to those wealthy enough to afford the trip. Of course, before there can be any thoughts of tourists or tours, someone has to check out these past eras, to set up places for the tou ...more
Horse N.
Sep 22, 2012 Horse N. rated it liked it
Shelves: to-buy-scifi
I expected the lead character to be Kit Carson, it's not. The lead character is a young, stupid teenager who needed strong, loving discipline...badly. Though I disliked her, I liked all the other characters with the exception of one flaw. The guy I'd call the male lead in the story was really interesting and likeable until you realized that his brain was in his crotch. In fact, many of the male characters demonstrated this quality which tells me that's a personal problem the author wrote into hi ...more
Scott Holstad
Apr 02, 2016 Scott Holstad rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Unbelievably stupid and not remotely believable. Sometime in the future, time travel is possible, both “uptime” and downtime.” To do this, time scouts are needed to scout unknown areas and guides are needed to show tourists scouted areas such as historical Rome, Victorian England, shogun Japan, etc. The most famous time scout of all time is the stupidly named Kit Carson, who is retired.

One day, some total massive hottie, the like of whom has never been seen in the universe shows up on the space
Andy Strutt
Dec 29, 2013 Andy Strutt rated it really liked it
Time Scout by Robert Asprin and Linda Evans
A review by Andy Strutt author of “The Afflicted”

I happened upon this book at a car boot sale and was immediately taken by the write up on the back. I have to admit, I had never heard of Robert Asprin or Linda Evans before but decided to take a chance.
The story is absolutely fascinating, based both in the future (Up Time) and in the past (Down Time) at the same time. There has been a catastrophic accident on Earth that has allowed the formation of inter
George
May 04, 2016 George rated it really liked it
Despite assertions by sensible reviewers here, no, Margo is not an idiot. She is a teenager w/ bad psychological damage--made abundantly, indeed redundantly, clear--that leads her to ACT like an idiot.

Assuming you can accept that, as I did, the plotting actually makes a reasonable amount of sense. With one major exception, to my mind.

At 16yo, an age for high school junior year, in Margo is being put thru what seems a full-time course in weapons and martial arts training, assigned a heavy course-
Bob Folker
Aug 13, 2012 Bob Folker rated it it was ok
I needed something I could read on breaks, so it had to be easy to put down. This filled the bill.
The premise: due to unknown causes, time warps have opened to the past.
I can suspend disbelief for that if the story is good. And the story was not bad. But I wouldn't call it good, either. "OK" is about right. Instead of focusing on the mystery of what has caused the warps, or the problems of the people stranded in 'Shangrila' from their homes in the past, which are the interesting problems the pre
StarMan
Overall, about 1.25 stars. It started out fairly interesting, but wound up being too annoying and unrealistic (yep, I say that, even about a time travel book!).

TIME SCOUT may be the worst time-travel book I've yet experienced. It had a few things going for it (concept, not execution!), and I somehow managed to finish it. Truly unrealistic characters and conversations. Ridiculous reactions/attitudes/age-appropriateness concerning (view spoiler), a
Anne Taylor
Jun 04, 2016 Anne Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: a-linda-evans
I really enjoyed the ficton in this book, but I'm not as sure I appreciate what they did with it. Margo's mysterious past is a bit frustrating at times, and her behaviour is perhaps _too_ erratic. I find it also odd how they set her up to be a strong female character, but then half the time reveal her to be silly and weak.

On the other hand, the story is gripping and the ficton is very well fleshed out by the plot. I would love to read more of the same.
Trish
May 05, 2008 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Robert Asprin again. This series (Time Scout is the first of four) is set in a world where time tourism has become a big thing, with the founding and finding of nexuses (nexi?) of gates to various different points in time. Time Scouts are the individuals who go into new gates when they appear to see where they lead...obviously, a job not without peril. Interesting characters and enteretaining plots.
Korry Thorpe
Sep 24, 2011 Korry Thorpe rated it really liked it
Up until I was about 3/4 through this book I was thought the book was very good and was planning on having Dale read it. The the book went from PG to R and I had to rethink. I still liked the book a lot, but will have to hold off on recommending it to Dale until a few years hence. The book is a new take on time travel that I haven't run into before and it was quite fun to read.
Taylor Yardley
Apr 23, 2014 Taylor Yardley rated it it was ok
Read this a few years ago and probably a few sequels. Honestly not a whole lot sticks in my mind from the story...something about Rome, exchanging currency, and time travel is all that remains. I don't usually read older sci-fi but this happened to be in an Ebook folder that ended up on my reader. So there you have it.
Lee Belbin
Dec 05, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it liked it
A 17yo girl with a tough upbringing finds her famous grandfather who was a legendary time scout to teach her time scouting. She a rough diamond making many costly mistakes but eventually learns. An ok read but somewhat hard to swallow.
Tom
Jun 17, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
Margo is an idiot. The end.

(spoilers below?)

There was a plot line where she kept saying she only had a short time to get something done, that was why she kept rushing her training. What the hell happened to that? Did I miss something??
Bill
Dec 21, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Margo Smith, granddaughter of famous time scout Kit Carson, is hell-bent on becoming a time scout too. The shopping center of time portals, Time Terminal 86, will never be the same. Plenty of fun and horror make this a quick, entertaining read.
Stephen
Jul 24, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Fell in love with it as a kid, and it still satisfies. There is something about a young girl coming to a time travel station to learn to scout new time portals and her misadventures that just fascinates me. It's a well written story with lots of twists and turns.
Michelle
Apr 27, 2012 Michelle rated it did not like it
Hated this book. Did not bother with the rest of the series. Was very disappointed because I love others by these two authors.
Ed Nemo
Mar 16, 2011 Ed Nemo rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A great idea and concept but as little unsavory in parts. I understand what Asprin was doing, but it felt a little harsh to me.
Nurlana Askerova
Mar 16, 2014 Nurlana Askerova rated it really liked it
Very interesting and unusual book. Although for specific readers. You need to like fantasy genre in order to read this book. For people who is not into fantasy, it may seem very boring and shallow.
Brent Moffitt
Dec 28, 2010 Brent Moffitt rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, but not particularly well-expressed. Characters would suddenly do something very strange with very little explanation or unreasonable explanations.
Konstantin
Konstantin rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Nitecascade
Nitecascade rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2009
Joseph Goodwin
Joseph Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Trick Brown
Trick Brown rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2009
Roman Kharitonov
Roman Kharitonov rated it did not like it
May 20, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Chronospace
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • A Bridge of Years
  • The Time Patrol (Time Patrol, #1-4 omnibus)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Lest Darkness Fall/To Bring the Light
  • Orion In The Dying Time (Orion, # 3)
  • The Technicolor Time Machine
  • The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)
  • The Judas Solution (Blackcollar, #3)
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Night of Power
  • Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers (The Company, #4.5)
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Time Scout (4 books)
  • Wagers of Sin (Time Scout, #2)
  • Ripping Time (Time Scout, #3)
  • The House That Jack Built (Time Scout, #4)