Start by marking “The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier” as Want to Read:
The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
read book

The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,734 ratings  ·  74 reviews
A journalist investigates the past, present, and future of computer crimes, as he attends a hacker convention, documents the extent of the computer crimes, and presents intriguing facts about hackers and their misdoings. Reprint.
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 1st 1993 by Bantam (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Hacker Crackdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hacker Crackdown

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
24th out of 151 books — 238 voters
The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StollHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickWe Are Anonymous by Parmy OlsonKingpin by Kevin Poulsen
Hacker nonfiction
12th out of 47 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Jarrodtrainque
Bruce Sterling's classic work highlights the 1990 assault on hackers, when law-enforcement officials successfully arrested scores of suspected illicit hackers and other computer-based law-breakers. These raids became symbolic of the debate between fighting serious computer crime and protecting civil liberties. However, The Hacker Crackdown is about far more than a series of police sting operations. It's a lively tour of three cyberspace subcultures--the hacker underworld, the realm of the cyberc ...more
Jamie Adams
To be honest, I found some of it a bit tedious. It was published in the early 1990's so is very dated, but is worth a read just to remind you how all this crazy computer stuff started. Lot's of this stuff I remember - Phrack & other anarchistic documents, The Legion of Doom, slow modems. I certainly remember the overarching feeling of the time; that with a computer and a modem, anything was possible.

Parts 1 & 2 deals with the hackers & phreakers and the history of modern communicatio
Punk
Non-Fiction. On January 15, 1990, AT&T's long-distance switching system went down. It was due to a flaw in AT&T's software, but it was easier to blame hackers for the period of lost service. Because hackers, nobody likes 'em, right? This led to a nationwide crackdown on phone phreaks and computer hackers, which lead to the beginning of a political movement to protect online activities as free speech, which lead to you and I, able to discuss a book about computer hackers without the FBI k ...more
Christopher M.
This book is a veritable "Who's Who" of the early internet days and those who stepped outside of the lines of the law of this new frontier, often times before the lines were marked in ink. Stirling has done a masterful piece of work with this book, making the internet's history come alive in such a way that you could almost hear the humming of vacuum tubes and taste the tension in the air as a literal Old West battle ensued between the 'white hats' and 'black hats', new sheriffs taking power in ...more
Cow
It's almost two decades old at this point, so, well, it's dated. But it's so excellently written, and it covers such a wide range of topics. It also has a whole lot of that early 90s cyberpunk-hacker spirit that I can't help but feel a bit of nostalgia here.

That said, it covers rather well some of the first battles pitched over civil liberties on-line in US courts, and the resulting founding of EFF and other such groups. Two decades later, it's a fascinating artifact of its time.

It does tend to
Chase
I made it through the entirety of the book; a feat I wasn't sure I'd accomplish by about halfway thorough. It's not that the material is bad, just that it is written in very "stream of consciousness" style. That makes it rather difficult to build a cohesive and holistic view of the events.

I knew going in that the book was already more than 20 years out of date, but I wasn't quite prepared for just how out of date that really would turn out to be. It turned out to be an eminently quotable book, b
Wade
This is my review from 1994: An interesting book for those who like computers, the ever-developing communication network, and the once smug and content telecommunications companies (telcos) verses the explorers of the new frontier of cyberspace and computer hackers.

I was unaware that AT&T's long distance phone network went down for about eight hours on January 15, 1990, caused most likely by computer hackers. Computer hackers had caused enough fuss to raise the ire of the U.S. Secret Servic
Jake
I read this when I was a teenager (more than once I think) and re-read it this year to see how it stood up. It is really worth reading, especially in light of the last couple of years.
Mar 24, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
Read about this book on Wil Wheaton's blog:

"On one level, The Hacker Crackdown is about how the US Department of Justice launched a nationwide operation to bring down a bunch of hackers in something called Operation Sundevil, but it's also about a subculture and its people who remain misunderstood to this day. Most importantly, introduced me to a world where information and intellect were incredibly valuable, and it inspired me to learn all that I could ab
Kana
Summary
The Hacker Crackdown is a dated piece of work, but is a good historical record of the development of hackers, phreakers, and their nearly immediate bond with the telecommunications systems. This records how both groups grew and evolved together and how law enforcement tried to keep up. Outlining some of the more famous outages, pranks, and legal issues of the time.
You can find this same information in other books, but this book does a good job at keeping the events chronological and focu
Erik
Aug 20, 2013 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: misc
The book gives a great history and insight to the development of the telephone and internet and the hackers and crackers that it inspired. It brought back memories. It was the first e-book that I ever read back around 94/95 via TXT file. It inspired me to build a card-board model of an electronic data viewer (aka e-reader). Showed it to a family member who did not think much of the idea. I did not know enough about electronics, so I scrapped the idea. Eventually, I started printing pages of it o ...more
Brian
Sep 18, 2011 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brian by: Nick Black
(3.5) Historical (now), interesting but not narrative enough for me

Kind of a history lesson told by a (not known to me, but I probably wouldn't) sci-fi/cyberpunk author around 1992 about the big Hacker Crackdown (again, not known to me, but clearly big news among the hacker community) around 1990, in which law enforcement went after hackers and online bulletin boards that dabbled in the dissemination of illegal information.

So, was interesting, but to qualify for my hackerspotting shelf needs to
reverend dak
A really interesting and appropriate story for this day and age. Especially for one that was written before the Internet, as we know it now, existed. He predicted that this book would be obsolete five years after it's release, but here 18 years, later we find that ignorance of the government and powers that be have not changed. And neither has the curiosity and ambition of teenage hackers.

What made my jaw dropped the most were the predictions of the founder of Lotus (1-2-3). You have to read it
Toby
Fantastic trip through the scary, hilarious, and often absurd Operation Sundevil, the "theft" of an administrative E911 document, and the hackers doing the real work long before Jonny Miller and Angelina Jolie decided to "Crash N Burn" on the big screen.

Sterling's nonfiction can be as engaging as his fiction, and you can even read this book for free, or have Cory Doctorow read it to you, if you know where to look. Google's probably a good starting point.

If you read just three books about compute
Lara Eakins
Started Bruce Sterling’s “The Hacker Crackdown” in addition to everything else that I’m reading. I had the paperback, but decided to check to see if it was available electronically and discovered that the ebook was free! Then I also discovered that Cory Doctrow had podcasts of his reading of the book, so I’ve downloaded that as well. As an experiment, I’m combining the reading on my iPad and listening to the podcast version.

FInished, mostly by listening to the podcast by Cory Doctrow. It’s funn
Michael
While being quite old, this book can still be an interesting read today if you are interested in the early days of the Hacker movement as we know it today or have fond memories of the time yourself. Sterling tries to give us the complete picture, from the Hacker underground, over the Telcos and law enforcement to the back then newly founded EFF and other electronic civil libertarians. If you have ever read an issue of Phrack or 2600, spent countless hours on old-school BBS's or still remember th ...more
Chris
Excellent background reading (although rather long) that provides a great historical perspective on many things cyberspace, not only things that most people think of when they hear the word "hacker""...

I thoroughly enjoyed the numerous perspectives provided as well as interesting details about certain people that I'm sure I would really enjoy reading more about, especially what they've been up to since then.

Especially interesting because this book is 18 years old, and that's very clear when you
Mark
Things I enjoyed about this book... it explains the founding of the EFF. It sits (time-wise) at the end of the BBS era and the start of the Internet (pre web) when "Internet nodes" (now known as websites) were becoming fashionable. Mitch Kapor predicts the scarcity of IPv4 and suggests (what will become) IPv6 which is just now finally coming into it's own 20 years later. I liked reading about the Legion of Doom and pirate boards from my own early computing years when 300 baud modems were the pri ...more
Trinity
An in-depth, and sometimes overly dry, review of the history of Operation Sundevil, a federal crackdown on "hackers" that occurred in the summer of 1990. There is a LOT of information here, and Sterling has spent a lot of time researching the facts which surrounded each of the main groups. I think the most interesting part of the book is the epilogue, in which we find out not only what happened to a lot of the main players, but we also see where the state of the world of computer security and in ...more
Maria Susana
I never thought someone had written about the darkest age in American history. A witch hunt that pales in comparison to Salem. After returning to my home country we were all watched. Our phones and comms tapped. For 10 long years (because it happened again after Bush Jr came into office)certain programmers were closely watched. The Clinton Administration tried to have some of us go back to America, but no, no way going back into hell... This is no tale, this really happened. "The Home of the Fre ...more
Joel Neff
Jan 22, 2008 Joel Neff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Internet junkies, information addicts, and copyfighters.
Recommended to Joel by: Cory Doctorow
The Hacker Crackdown is a good history of the beginnings of internet law and disorder. The author, Bruce Sterling, is a science-fiction writer and expert in matters technological and futuristic.

Sterling relates the tale of the FBI and AT&T's attempt to turn a hacking into a much larger crime than it should have been. The book is well researched and presented in an easy to read, easy to understand format that requires no knowledge of the internet from the reader.

Highly recommended.
Saretta
Saggio sugli eventi che hanno interessato la cultura hacker negli anni '90 in America. Chiaro e ben esposto è diviso in 4 parti (Crashing the System, The Digital Underground, Law and Order, The Civil Libertarians) che danno una idea complessiva del problema e delle entità in gioco.
In alcuni punti può risultare piuttosto datato essendo l'universo tecnologico/informatico in continua evoluzione.

Disponibile nella versione inglese come e-book gratuito.
Dana Larose
I read this a long time ago, probably around when it was first published, and noticed that Sterling had semi-put the book in the public domain and that it was available from Project Guttenburg so I fetched it into my iPhone.

I enjoyed it back in and it's still good. The main part of the book details some of the earlier hacker arrests and trials and catalogues the BBS and early Internet scenes in the US.
Geoff
A fantastic look back at the early days of consumer computing, where it's come and where it's going. There's a fascinating social and political context for all of that nostalgia and history, and the book is well worth reading for anyone that uses a computer at all. We're far too quick to accept the state of modern technology as a given, without a history or political significance.
Suzie
Sterling's account of the 1990 'Hacker Crackdown' is (was) journalism (not science fiction), and is now, more or less, history. When, for example, was the last time you heard anyone talk about 'gopher'? The hackers, computer cops, and civil libertarians are all represented here. Interesting, and at the very least, you will probably learn something about the Secret Service.
Devero
Un pezzo di gran giornalismo sulla prima sfida processuale tra il governo americano e gli hacker, nei mitici ed iconici anni 80. Volete sapere in breve ed in modo chiaro come funziona la telefonia e quale storia ha dietro? Volete scoprire come e perché gli hacker facevano quello che facevano?
Vi è piaciuto Ready Palyer One?
Questo non è un romanzo, è anche meglio: è realtà!
G. Branden
This book forced me to save up my money and buy a modem.

I could only scrounge enough for a 2400 baud Hayes; at the time, the U.S. Robotics Courier was the top-of-the-line running at 14.4k.

I got to see the twilight of the BBS era as the crepuscular Internet age broke over an unsuspecting nation.

Which quickly led to the "September that never ended"...
Brian
Read by Cory Doctorow, so he'd insert interesting reader remarks every once in a while. The first half is interesting giving background of the late 80s, early 90s hacker scene; but the second half kind of meanders on when Sterling brushes quickly over EFF and law enforcement. Still worth reading, but could probably be either half as long or twice as long.
Troy Morrison
A decent (non-fiction) book about the underground hacking/phreaking culture in the late 80s and early 90s. It makes a good attempt to tell the story of the culture but is not, in the end, as rich and intriguing as, for example, Steven Levy's *Hackers*. I'm glad I read it but it's slow at times and it did feel like a struggle to get through it.
Vasil Kolev
I thought I read this a long time ago, but I seem to remember only pieces of it, which I might've seen at other places. The book is nice, but a bit condescending and doesn't fit with a lot of stuff that I've seen. It's a good explanation on the beginning of EFF and the issues surrounding it.
  • Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier, Revised
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
  • Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness, and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier
  • Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World
  • The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
  • The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
  • The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey
  • Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age
  • Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • In the Beginning...Was the Command Line
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Being Digital
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...
Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology Islands in the Net Schismatrix Plus Heavy Weather Holy Fire