Start by marking “Boom!” as Want to Read:
Boom!

Boom!

3.36  ·  Rating Details ·  3,731 Ratings  ·  501 Reviews
Jim and his best friend Charlie bug the staff room, and overhear two teachers speak in a strange language. What does "spudvetch" mean? Why do Mr Kidd's eyes flicker with fluorescent blue light when Charlie says spudvetch to him? A high-powered adventure can end only with a Boom!
Published September 3rd 2009 by David Fickling (first published January 27th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Boom!, please sign up.

Srividya
Dec 07, 2014 Srividya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a total hoot! What a fantastic ride! Really quick read and so entertaining at that.

Gregory Baird
Aug 12, 2016 Gregory Baird rated it did not like it
Clunk!
From a financial perspective, it makes perfect sense that this book, originally published in 1992 under the title Gridzbi Spudvetch! , is being given a second life nearly twenty years later. Its author, Mark Haddon, has since achieved literary renown as the author of 2003’s book club favorite The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and the lesser known but equally enjoyable A Spot of Bother . It’s been nearly four year’s since the latter’s publication, and with no new adult
Teresa
Aug 09, 2016 Teresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-inglaterra, e1
Que desperdício de papel...
Tim
May 28, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
This is an updated edition of a book originally published in Britain in 1992 as "Gridzbi Spudvetch." My knowledge of children's literature is not that encyclopedic (not even pertaining to authors whose books I have enjoyed in the past), it just says so in the foreword. I believe I reviewed one of Haddon's picture books years ago, and I quite liked "Curious Incident..." ("Spot of Bother" is on my bedside table..but it has been for a while--too many paying review gigs)

All that's beside the point.
paula
"Boom! is a version of your old-style Something Is Very Strange About the Teachers at My School story. You know that story. They're aliens, or monsters, or she collects the teeth of children for nefarious purposes. Love that storyline. Who hasn't thought it at one time or another? Even in college, I was pretty sure a respected art history professor of mine had probably wrested herself into life from the mud at the bottom of an archaeological dig in Sicily."

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.t
Jasmine Gray
Aug 01, 2014 Jasmine Gray rated it really liked it
This book follows the unexpected(and rather odd) journey of a teenage boy Jimbo, his best friend Charlie and his 16-year-old Becky. This all starts with Becky attempting to prank her little brother,telling him that he was going to be expelled from school, and that she had heard the teachers discussing it in the staff room after school. Jimbo, stressing over the matter, turns to his best friend for advice. Charlie, being the far-fetched schemer he is, hatches a plan to place a walkie talkie in th ...more
Jenny T
Jun 03, 2010 Jenny T rated it liked it
This was a strange little book featuring a very likeable young boy named Jim who discovers an alien plot to re-populate the Earth entirely with science fiction fans and who must, consequently, save the world. On the whole, great fun and a quick read. Easily 4 stars.

However, this is intended as a children's lit, for ages 8-12, and as such it fails. Too many adult themes (violence, smoking, etc) and too many old nerd references (seriously, what 8-year-old knows what a Vogon is?) make this a less-t
Harun Harahap
Kalau elo percaya yang namanya alien. Semua buku yang berisi tentang alien itu jadi seru. Bahkan terkadang menjadi pembenaran kita. Salah satunya adalah campur tangan pemerintah yang berusaha menutupi fakta tentang alien kepada masyarakat luas. Kebayang enggak sih kalau orang-orang dekat yang biasa berinteraksi dengan kita adalah alien.

Namun, yang gue enggak suka dari cerita-cerita alien itu adalah si alien ini sering kali dijadikan tokoh antagonis. Alien akan mencoba untuk menaklukan dunia seba
Kaethe
I can understand why this didn't sell under the original title of nonsense words, but I'm not at all sure that "Boom!" is better. I'm also bugged by the rocket since there aren't any rockets in the story.

But the adventure is good, the families of the two boys are interestingly developed, and the mystery of what those two teachers were talking about is a clever one.

Charlie and Jimbo behave realistically, which adds to the suspense and the humor.
Mar 18, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: youngish
Plus a half star. I really liked it. I love lot's of things about his children's books from Agent Z and the Penguin from Mars onwards. One is the way the girls and boys are all active agents - things happen to them but they always put a finger, or a fist in to make a difference to the outcome. May or may not work but they go on acting. And also the way he pushes situations beyond normal and into farce. Makes me laugh and cheer the characters on.
Nadja A.
Weird little book. Funny at times but the plot is often too ridiculous. Well(view spoiler)are not really my thing.
Oona Palmer
May 04, 2013 Oona Palmer rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because my little brother recommended it to me. We enjoy the same type of book, action packed and fiction.

This book completes ‘recommended by a member of your family’ on my bingo board.
I thought this was a good category because, knowing what books each other like is another way of getting to know each other, always a good thing in a family, (especially with siblings) it teaches us to share.

My favourite quote from the book ‘Boom’ was “life is a cow pat sandwich, Jimbo”
LH Johnson
Nov 09, 2011 LH Johnson rated it it was ok
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Mar 06, 2012 IndyPL Kids Book Blog rated it really liked it
When Jim’s sister Becky informs him she overheard a teacher saying he is a lazy nuisance and likely being sent to Fenham - a school for kids with problems - Jim doesn’t know if the story is true, or he’s being punked. Becky isn’t exactly trustworthy, but at the same time, what if it’s true?

The only way to know for sure is to do some investigating. Jim’s friend Charlie has the just the thing - a set of walkie talkies. One walkie talkie can be hidden in the teacher’s lounge while Jim and Charlie l
Jul 19, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
people should stop comparing this book to the dog in the night time this book is a book in its on right and you must go into it not expecting it to be like the dog in the night time but with the anticipation of a new book by a new author

I read this book before the dog in the night time and found it highly enjoyable with its plot twists and fast pace

people should stop judging this book on the fact that americans might not understand it I am from new Zealand and have had no problem understaning
Kimberlee
Jul 31, 2013 Kimberlee rated it liked it
Brian
Sep 02, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
My rating is a combination of how much I liked it and how much I think I would have liked it as a kid: 4 stars! Mark Haddon is the guy who wrote 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time' and this is his version of a YA adventure novel.

Jim and his friend Charlie hide a walkie-talkie in the teacher's lounge and discover two of them speaking in a weird language. Are they Russian are aliens or what? As these typically underachieving kids hunt down more clues, the secret codes and magic wri
Meredith
I just couldn't get into this one, as much as I really wanted to. While it seemed like the plot might take off at some point, I was 60 pages in and was pretty bored. The author has a great sense of humor, but the writing is so British that I think most of that would be lost on kids who are unfamiliar with their slang and commonly used expressions. I'm not sure who I could give this to. I think most kids in the United States would find it inaccessible.
April
Jul 01, 2010 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a great listen...esp with Britney...had me cracking up! Some Goodreaders have remarked disappointment since this is a YA book...but I knew it was YA and wanted to read it because it is YA and because I loved Curious Incident (which I also listened to). This book is funny and suspenseful and has great characters. And it was only 3 discs. AND it's British. What more could you want?
Betsy
Jul 27, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: If you didn't know it was science fiction going in, the sudden switchover might shock you, but really this is just a fun mystery with some pretty goofy sci-fi elements (and copious Britishisms) in the mix.
Jellybean6401
Jan 05, 2013 Jellybean6401 rated it really liked it
Mark Haddon is one of my favorite fiction authors, and this book shows his creative side with a strange idea as a plot, great characters and it all tied in together really well as a whole. I gave it four stars because I think he could have built on more to his characters.
Mel Burdick
Jan 14, 2016 Mel Burdick rated it liked it
This is a funny and fun book. Probably for upper elementary ages. Some mystery and silly supernatural adventures.
Becki
Dec 14, 2014 Becki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Absolutely hilarious. Felt like Ron and Harry trapped in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Finished in one sitting. Full review to come!
Kesha
Fun read. Love Charlie's character.
Michael
Jan 10, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Weird and cute. More for elementary kids. The British language made it interesting.
Daphne
This book was definitely not what I was expecting, but it was still really good!
Marina Marina
Nov 01, 2016 Marina Marina rated it liked it
"Boom" is an updated edition of a book originally published in 1992 as "Gridzbi Spudvetch".
The story talk about Jim (or Jimbo) who is a regular kid. He have a 16 years old sister, Becky, she is dating an ugly boy of 19 years , "Craterface". His dad is out of work and his mother is a businesswoman.
Jim is not really good at school so Becky (for scare Jimbo) tells him he was going to be expelled from school.
So he have to make a plan with his friend Charlie to know if Becky tells the truth , and t
Megan
Nov 14, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
My 6-yr-old son chose this off the library shelf based on the title. Reading it to him, I had to tone down a little bit of the language. For the intending reading-level-aged audience, it would be not too bad. It is an interesting little sci-fi spy caper for moddle-schoolers. It is reasonably entertaining, but not sure it has a lot for grown-ups to really get into; it's creative, but not particularly sophisticated.
Beth
Dec 14, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, juv-fic
I really liked it- fast moving and exciting, imaginative, a good suggestion for Harry Potter fans for the aspects fighting for you friends against the odds, quick, funny dialogue, appreciation of family- just a good read.
Alison
Apr 19, 2016 Alison added it
Title: Boom!

Author: Mark Haddon

Genre: Science Fiction

Theme(s): Friendship, Family, Space, Aliens, Planets

Opening Line/Sentence: “I was on the balcony eating a sandwich.”

Brief Book Summary: A boy known as “Jimbo” is the victim of a prank by his older sister, Becky. She lets him believe that he is going to be expelled from school. Being so paranoid at this prospect him and his best friend, Charlie listen in on the teachers in their lounge from walkie talkies. They are surprised that after all of
Boom! By Mark Haddon 3 10 Apr 03, 2015 12:50AM
  • Fludd
  • Choke Hold
  • Bury Me Deep
  • After Dark, My Sweet
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dramatist (Jack Taylor, #4)
  • The Key to Skandos: A tale of adventure, love and magic
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
  • The Blow-Up Man
  • Kiss Them Goodbye: A Novel
  • Neiko's Five Land Adventure
  • Crocuses and Blackbirds: Free Preview of Part 1 (The Golden Path Quintet #1)
  • Cosmic
Mark Haddon is a British novelist and poet, best known for his 2003 novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. He was educated at Uppingham School and Merton College, Oxford, where he studied English.

In 2003, Haddon won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award and in 2004, the Commonwealth Writers' Prize Overall Best First Book for his novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-t
More about Mark Haddon...

“It was a stupid, insane, suicidal idea. Which makes it quite hard to explain why I decided to help. I guess it boils down to this. Charlie was my best friend. I missed him. And I couldn't think of anything better to do. Really stupid reasons which were never going to impress the police, the headmistress or my parents. Looking back, I reckon this was the moment when my whole life started to go pear-shaped.” 1 likes
“The police asked us whether we wanted counselling. We said we'd prefer a hot supper.” 0 likes