Start by marking “The Rouseabout” as Want to Read:
The Rouseabout

The Rouseabout

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  720 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Kate Webster is a loveable larrikin who likes to play hard now and worry about the consequences later. She can't help mucking up the opportunities life gives her. Rocked by the death of her mother, she takes on a dare at one of Australia's wildest rural social events - a Bachelors & Spinsters ball - to 'scalp' gorgeous farm boy Nick McDonnell. It's a dare that changes ...more
348 pages
Published (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Rouseabout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rouseabout

The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots by Loretta HillThe Rouseabout by Rachael TreasureJillaroo by Rachael TreasureJilted by Rachael JohnsThe Family Farm by Fiona Palmer
Australian Rural Fiction
2nd out of 116 books — 74 voters
English Passengers by Matthew KnealeGould's Book of Fish by Richard FlanaganWanting by Richard FlanaganThe Sound of One Hand Clapping by Richard FlanaganThe Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes
Tasmania
42nd out of 42 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacey
This is my favorite Rachael Treasure book. When I first read this book a few years ago I didn't think I would like it all that much - the main character, Kate, had a child and I didn't think I could relate at all to her. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this story. Kate is a believable and likable character, and I was drawn into the story.

Normally I find aussie rural fiction over-emphasizes the country character and setting, something which really annoys me as someone f
Sally Williams
Why do people love this book so much? Kate Webster is a loveable larrikin who likes to play hard now and worry about the consequences later? I disliked her so much it was hard to finish the book.

What really, really upset me was the depiction of her excessive drinking when she was pregnant. Poor thing didn't want to be up the duff, so she drank and drank and didn't give a damn about the fetus. But this is romance-land and her baby was absolutely fine.

Well, many many children whose mothers drink
Kirsten
Ok, I really wanted an easy marshmallow read and I got it. This one is romance with cliches galore, with our hero, Kate Webster described as a loveable larrikin who among other things get's involved in 'one of Australia's wildest rural social events - a Bachelors & Spinsters ball'. Good little page turner, although I suspect it will be quickly forgotten.
Sianne Morrison
I loved this. Everyone knows these characters from somewhere or at sometime. Great read.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Kate Webster is having trouble coming to terms with the recent death of her mother when she goes off to the local Rouseabout B & S Ball with her brother Will with the intention of getting rotten drunk and have a great time. While watching a mechanical bull and checking out the talent her best friend Janie dares Kate to take the virgin of gorgeous farm boy Nick McDonnell, who is only 17 to Kate’s 19. Kate dares Janie to make a move on Dave another guy they see. It’s a dare that changes Kate l ...more
Goddess Of Blah
Rachael Treasure's books are really good (although they have different names in the UK, which was puzzling). I love the detail involved, I've never really understood farming or the outback, etc. And her books offer a brilliant depiction of life so different from London. I loved it. The books are well written, gripping and very realistic. If you want something different, but from a female narrator's point of view than these are the books.

Not quite “chick lit” but almost within the genre, these s
Karen
I went into this book cringing a bit about the basic premise (getting drunk at a B&S) but it had such beautiful and seamless flow and the characters were so sensitively drawn. I adored Nick and even though Kate was such a prat, I loved her too. I thought RT did such a great job exploring the friendships between women. The bit about the dogs getting tied was hilarious. Her love of the Tasmanian land shone through much more convincingly than for the Victorian Alps in 'Cattleman's daughter'. I ...more
Kelly Gleeson
I re-read this last night for a quick pick me up read whilst I am waiting for a final book in a Sci Fi Series to arrive (currently in the post).

I liked it just as much as I did the first time.
True to the RT style she is known for - this was a classic country romance set in beautiful Australia. Got a bit of a giggle out of B&S's in the Golden West area - I have been to most of those - LOL.

A must read for all true RT diehards out there.
Dianne Sidebottom
My first book of Rachael's. A story coping with what life dishes out. Kate ended up with a pattern of running away which she needed to address. When communication breaks down n the road seems hard to mend when dealing with loss. Seems to be an Aussie cultural behaviour of drinking to excess n thinking it is fun n the norm. A perspective that is not my own but hear of plenty.
Melissa Burtt
So not my usual genre - by a long shot - but not only is Rachael Australian, she is Tasmanian. I am pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Rouseabout. It was a little predictable - but not in a bad way, the storyline flowed as I expected which made this a fantastic light read that had me laughing and crying in equal measure. I think I will read some more Rachael Treasure as part of my mission this year.
Chanpreet
Besides saying I really enjoyed and loved this book, there isn't much more I can say about it. There was more than one time when I had tears streaming down my face as I read. And forget about putting it down before it's over. Rachael Treasure has done an amazing job at describing the wildness and raw beauty of Tasmania and Australia. Her characters are also written beautifully. Even when you're frustrated with Kate, Nick, and Henry, you can't help but root for them and hope that things will work ...more
MissNorth
I loved this book. The story was believable, the tension between the main character and her Beau was palpable and the scenery was to die for (Being an Aussie, I may be a little biased on the scenery). Rachel Treasure has a knack for describing the Australian landscape and bringing the harshness of our climate to a beautiful stand-still.
Brilliant, this is the book I take on holidays!
Stephanie Taylor
I enjoyed it. It was the third time I have read this book. One thing that annoyed me about her character was that she just end off and got drunk at the drop of a hat. I understand that she had pain. But she cause alot of it herself.
But her journey is wonderful. Nell is a cutie and you just want to know what happened to Nick through out the book. Love Kate and Jane's friendship. That they could go through all of what they said to one another and what they didn't say or didn't do.
I sincerley hop
Jennafer Krause
One of mine all time fav
Vanessa
What can I say....loved...loved...loved it!!! I highly recommend this book it!! Thank you Rachael!! :-)
Sharon
I really enjoy reading Rachael Treasure's books and The Rouseabout did not disappoint. Giving you an insight to farm life but not boring you with farming lingo, Rachael adds some good drama and a few twists to make it an enjoyable read. If you like Rachael's work then you might also like Fiona Palmer and Fleur McDonald. It's great to see some Aussie women producing some great reads!
Alison
The Dare is almost as good as Jillaroo, but not quite. I didn't believe in Nick as a character. He ages from 17 to 21 in the story - still very young. He acts like a man a few years older, which could be attributed to his responsibilities but I just didn't find him believable. I like Kate's character, and I like the earthiness of the story. Still amazed at the agricultural openness...
Jessica Mclauchlan
My Favourite Rachael Treasure book. It feels so real and the writing is brilliant. Really drawing in the reader. I connected with the characters and the location of the book. As with all Rachael Treasure's books, The female lead has many challenges she needs to face but Comes out the other side as a true Australian woman. Such an empowering read
Anita-maree
I loved this story, it felt like home seeing im from tassie to, i feel like going out to meet the people and see the place you talk about.. it was great and i loved how it finished off.. a wonderful love story.. thank you
Jill
Love love loved this book. Great easy reading fantastic story. Love how it is based in country Australia. Living in Australia I liked reading a book that I felt really got the Australian country mentality. Work hard play hard.
Caity
Another great read by Rachael treasure. Loved the romance and story line. I love how Kate just picks up the threads and weaves them back together to make a life for her daughter, Nell.
Bec Whyte
Love Rachel's books! Easy to read and hard to put down with an authentic and fast past writing style that continues throughout her many publications :)
Sarah Pfitzner
Wow what an amazing book to read. I could really relate to this book, going to B&S balls. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.
Bianca

I only read 50 pages and couldn't go on, perhaps it would have improved but it isn't my style, over the top country I thought.
Lauren Murphy
I posted a review of The Rouseabout on my blog:

Hayley.yule
Started to read only to realise that I have already read it, gutted felt robbed. So just started another of her books.
Julie
I couldn't put this book down, the trials and tribulations that Kate is faced with inspired me.
Rebecca Harwood
This a fabulous read, gripping, romantic and not to mention a tear jerker I loved it!
Mechelle Irvine
Another great inspiring story about our tough aussie women. Loved it.
  • The Family Farm
  • Red Dust
  • Wings of Fear
  • Rosalee Station
  • Dead Heat
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...
Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1) The Stockmen The Cattleman's Daughter The Farmer's Wife (Jillaroo #2) Fifty Bales of Hay