Start by marking “The Rouseabout” as Want to Read:
The Rouseabout

The Rouseabout

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  804 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Kate Webster is a loveable larrikin who likes to play hard now and worry about the consequences later. She can't help mucking up the opportunities life gives her. Rocked by the death of her mother, she takes on a dare at one of Australia's wildest rural social events - a Bachelors & Spinsters ball - to 'scalp' gorgeous farm boy Nick McDonnell. It's a dare that changes ...more
348 pages
Published (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Rouseabout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rouseabout

Stacey
Jun 28, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
This is my favorite Rachael Treasure book. When I first read this book a few years ago I didn't think I would like it all that much - the main character, Kate, had a child and I didn't think I could relate at all to her. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this story. Kate is a believable and likable character, and I was drawn into the story.

Normally I find aussie rural fiction over-emphasizes the country character and setting, something which really annoys me as someone f
Sally Williams
Apr 02, 2014 Sally Williams rated it it was ok
Why do people love this book so much? Kate Webster is a loveable larrikin who likes to play hard now and worry about the consequences later? I disliked her so much it was hard to finish the book.

What really, really upset me was the depiction of her excessive drinking when she was pregnant. Poor thing didn't want to be up the duff, so she drank and drank and didn't give a damn about the fetus. But this is romance-land and her baby was absolutely fine.

Well, many many children whose mothers drink
Kirsten
Feb 25, 2011 Kirsten rated it liked it
Ok, I really wanted an easy marshmallow read and I got it. This one is romance with cliches galore, with our hero, Kate Webster described as a loveable larrikin who among other things get's involved in 'one of Australia's wildest rural social events - a Bachelors & Spinsters ball'. Good little page turner, although I suspect it will be quickly forgotten.
Sianne Morrison
Jun 13, 2013 Sianne Morrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, australian
I loved this. Everyone knows these characters from somewhere or at sometime. Great read.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 06, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Kate Webster is having trouble coming to terms with the recent death of her mother when she goes off to the local Rouseabout B & S Ball with her brother Will with the intention of getting rotten drunk and have a great time. While watching a mechanical bull and checking out the talent her best friend Janie dares Kate to take the virgin of gorgeous farm boy Nick McDonnell, who is only 17 to Kate’s 19. Kate dares Janie to make a move on Dave another guy they see. It’s a dare that changes Kate l ...more
Goddess Of Blah
Sep 23, 2010 Goddess Of Blah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachael Treasure's books are really good (although they have different names in the UK, which was puzzling). I love the detail involved, I've never really understood farming or the outback, etc. And her books offer a brilliant depiction of life so different from London. I loved it. The books are well written, gripping and very realistic. If you want something different, but from a female narrator's point of view than these are the books.

Not quite “chick lit” but almost within the genre, these s
Karen
Oct 10, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I went into this book cringing a bit about the basic premise (getting drunk at a B&S) but it had such beautiful and seamless flow and the characters were so sensitively drawn. I adored Nick and even though Kate was such a prat, I loved her too. I thought RT did such a great job exploring the friendships between women. The bit about the dogs getting tied was hilarious. Her love of the Tasmanian land shone through much more convincingly than for the Victorian Alps in 'Cattleman's daughter'. I ...more
Kelly Gleeson
Jul 25, 2014 Kelly Gleeson rated it really liked it
I re-read this last night for a quick pick me up read whilst I am waiting for a final book in a Sci Fi Series to arrive (currently in the post).

I liked it just as much as I did the first time.
True to the RT style she is known for - this was a classic country romance set in beautiful Australia. Got a bit of a giggle out of B&S's in the Golden West area - I have been to most of those - LOL.

A must read for all true RT diehards out there.
Dianne Sidebottom
Feb 19, 2015 Dianne Sidebottom rated it really liked it
My first book of Rachael's. A story coping with what life dishes out. Kate ended up with a pattern of running away which she needed to address. When communication breaks down n the road seems hard to mend when dealing with loss. Seems to be an Aussie cultural behaviour of drinking to excess n thinking it is fun n the norm. A perspective that is not my own but hear of plenty.
Melissa Burtt
Feb 28, 2015 Melissa Burtt rated it really liked it
So not my usual genre - by a long shot - but not only is Rachael Australian, she is Tasmanian. I am pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Rouseabout. It was a little predictable - but not in a bad way, the storyline flowed as I expected which made this a fantastic light read that had me laughing and crying in equal measure. I think I will read some more Rachael Treasure as part of my mission this year.
Chanpreet
Dec 28, 2011 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides saying I really enjoyed and loved this book, there isn't much more I can say about it. There was more than one time when I had tears streaming down my face as I read. And forget about putting it down before it's over. Rachael Treasure has done an amazing job at describing the wildness and raw beauty of Tasmania and Australia. Her characters are also written beautifully. Even when you're frustrated with Kate, Nick, and Henry, you can't help but root for them and hope that things will work ...more
Candice
If I put aside the rocky start of the main character abusing her child by being happily drunk while pregnant, the horrific mothering, and the exaggerated 'australianism' - this surprisingly turned about 40% of the way through to a enjoyable read.
MissNorth
Aug 31, 2014 MissNorth rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story was believable, the tension between the main character and her Beau was palpable and the scenery was to die for (Being an Aussie, I may be a little biased on the scenery). Rachel Treasure has a knack for describing the Australian landscape and bringing the harshness of our climate to a beautiful stand-still.
Brilliant, this is the book I take on holidays!
Stephanie Taylor
May 20, 2011 Stephanie Taylor rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. It was the third time I have read this book. One thing that annoyed me about her character was that she just end off and got drunk at the drop of a hat. I understand that she had pain. But she cause alot of it herself.
But her journey is wonderful. Nell is a cutie and you just want to know what happened to Nick through out the book. Love Kate and Jane's friendship. That they could go through all of what they said to one another and what they didn't say or didn't do.
I sincerley hop
Jennafer Krause
Jul 07, 2014 Jennafer Krause rated it it was amazing
One of mine all time fav
Rebecca Dawson-ryan
really enjoyed this book
Vanessa
Aug 22, 2014 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
What can I say....loved...loved...loved it!!! I highly recommend this book it!! Thank you Rachael!! :-)
Sharon
Feb 23, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading Rachael Treasure's books and The Rouseabout did not disappoint. Giving you an insight to farm life but not boring you with farming lingo, Rachael adds some good drama and a few twists to make it an enjoyable read. If you like Rachael's work then you might also like Fiona Palmer and Fleur McDonald. It's great to see some Aussie women producing some great reads!
Alison
The Dare is almost as good as Jillaroo, but not quite. I didn't believe in Nick as a character. He ages from 17 to 21 in the story - still very young. He acts like a man a few years older, which could be attributed to his responsibilities but I just didn't find him believable. I like Kate's character, and I like the earthiness of the story. Still amazed at the agricultural openness...
Emma Slatter
Oct 18, 2014 Emma Slatter rated it it was amazing
LOVED it!
Jessica Mclauchlan
My Favourite Rachael Treasure book. It feels so real and the writing is brilliant. Really drawing in the reader. I connected with the characters and the location of the book. As with all Rachael Treasure's books, The female lead has many challenges she needs to face but Comes out the other side as a true Australian woman. Such an empowering read
Anita-maree
Jan 08, 2015 Anita-maree rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, it felt like home seeing im from tassie to, i feel like going out to meet the people and see the place you talk about.. it was great and i loved how it finished off.. a wonderful love story.. thank you
Jill
Dec 27, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Love love loved this book. Great easy reading fantastic story. Love how it is based in country Australia. Living in Australia I liked reading a book that I felt really got the Australian country mentality. Work hard play hard.
Caity
Nov 20, 2012 Caity rated it really liked it
Another great read by Rachael treasure. Loved the romance and story line. I love how Kate just picks up the threads and weaves them back together to make a life for her daughter, Nell.
Bec Whyte
Sep 21, 2013 Bec Whyte rated it it was amazing
Love Rachel's books! Easy to read and hard to put down with an authentic and fast past writing style that continues throughout her many publications :)
Sarah Pfitzner
Mar 16, 2013 Sarah Pfitzner rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing book to read. I could really relate to this book, going to B&S balls. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.
Bianca
Jul 25, 2012 Bianca rated it did not like it

I only read 50 pages and couldn't go on, perhaps it would have improved but it isn't my style, over the top country I thought.
Lauren Murphy
Mar 25, 2011 Lauren Murphy rated it really liked it
I posted a review of The Rouseabout on my blog:

Hayley.yule
Sep 18, 2013 Hayley.yule rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachel-treasure
Started to read only to realise that I have already read it, gutted felt robbed. So just started another of her books.
Julie
Apr 21, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I couldn't put this book down, the trials and tribulations that Kate is faced with inspired me.
  • The Family Farm
  • Wattle Creek
  • Burning Lies
  • Rosalee Station
  • Dead Heat
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more
More about Rachael Treasure...