Start by marking “Wicked Words: A Treasury of Curses, Insults, Put-Downs, and Other Formerly Unprintable Terms from Anglo-Saxon Times to the Present” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
The author of Crown's A Dictionary of Euphemisms and Other Doubletalk has fun at the other end of the language spectrum in this witty, anecdote-filled guide to the many impolite, insulting, and just plain "bad" words with which the English language is blessed. Line drawings.
Published September 1st 1992 by Three Rivers Press (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Words

Brian
Jun 07, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I was smart-aleck teenager and, far from making me an insult filled jerk, I think it helped me become a better person. It may be trite to say it this way, but by taking the mystique out of so many of the epithets and insults that we use to hurt each other, reading this book took the "power" out of them for me. They became another subject for study. That "anything" is fair game for academic study was a revelation to me. It helped set me on the course to living a life free ...more
Clackamas
Apr 16, 2012 Clackamas rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, 2012
Though there weren't very many words or phrases in this book that I wasn't already familiar with, it was still a good read. I was interested to discover the history and original meanings of commonly used insults. For example, did you know that 'harlot' originally meant beggar? Or that it then went on to mean male scoundrel? It's only recently that it started being used for whorish women.
Arto
Arto added it
Apr 19, 2016
Micaela Muldoon
Micaela Muldoon marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Jennifer Katzer
Jennifer Katzer marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Kumar
Kumar marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
LORRAINE
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Donna Pearlman
Donna Pearlman rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 10, 2015
Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
E.D.
E.D. added it
Jun 29, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Marissa Campbell
Marissa Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jason Smith
Jason Smith rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Rohit Jadhav
Rohit Jadhav marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Alison C
Alison C rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Aminat
Aminat marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Silentium!
Silentium! marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Liz (reading wickedly)
Liz (reading wickedly) marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Deborah Gafford
Deborah Gafford marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Ken MacKenzie
Ken MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
William Humphrey
William Humphrey marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014