Start by marking “The Survivors of the Chancellor” as Want to Read:
The Survivors of the Chancellor
Open Preview read book

The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages #13)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Wrought with struggle between nature and man, this enthralling depiction of the turmoil and thrill of a sea journey is one of Jules Verne's best novels.
138 pages
Published (first published 1875)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivors of the Chancellor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivors of the Chancellor

Lord of the Flies by William GoldingOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingWatership Down by Richard Adams
LOST Book Club
88th out of 88 books — 109 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHeart of Darkness by Joseph ConradThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
As seen on "Lost"
67th out of 70 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Uncle  Dave Avis
Jules Verne, of course, wrote in the mid 19th century, and his style of writing reflects this. Why say in short phrases what can be said in longer flowery phrases.
Once the reader gets beyond the style of writing shock, the story is really a good one. Verne develops the characters very well, builds the story with skill, and narrates in the first person the struggle of being shipwrecked. I have read a great many shipwreck narratives over the years, and find that this fictional work is very much l
Juan Carlos Santillán
Éste es, definitivamente, el libro más oscuro que he leído de Verne hasta el momento. En él no existen grandes descubrimientos científicos ni pormenorizadas descripciones geográficas. "El Chancellor" es la historia de un grupo de personas y sus diferentes maneras de hacer frente a un desastre inevitable, que pone a prueba su integridad física y moral. No es de los mejores libros del novelista francés, pero mantiene la tensión, el ritmo y la fluidez en casi toda su extensión.
Carl
Kimberly Mccrea
Book referenced on "Lost". Regina is reading the book upside down before she wraps herself in chains and leaps off the freighter.
Amber
Jan 03, 2009 Amber marked it as to-read
LOST - 207
dragonhelmuk
Stuart Taylor
Gave me what I wanted from Moby Dick!

The Survivors of the Chancellor is a book which for the first 40 - 50 pages felt dull and uneventful. Characters were established and the writing style was very fluid and immersive but it hadn't hooked me and I feared that i'd just plod through the book and conclude by giving it a lacklustre 3 stars, feeling that - though well written - it just didn't hook me. It was about this point though in these later pages where I started to realise how necessary this pa
Rodrigo
This is supposed to be the journal of one of the passengers. It feels more like journalism than literature. It's well written, but it's little more than an account of facts.
The characters are developed through dialog with the journal's writer and his opinions, this is well done and does not feel forced. He's the kind of person who never misjudges people, which makes the story less interesting. And all the characters act the same way the whole story, which is odd given the situations they go thro
Cait
I may have actually liked this book had I been able to read the print copy. Unfortunately I will never know. I was stuck listening to the audiobook narrated by John Bolen, as it was all my library had. What a terrible narrator! He kept slipping in and out of accents, which were god awful anyway. On top of that, I've seen people do the thorazine shuffle with more enthusiasm than Bolen could muster in his narration. At least it was short.

Will Boncher
Pretty standard Jules Verne adventure. More cannibalism than usual.
Sin
This is one the first books that I have read in my life.
I can't remember all details now but I know that it made a deep impression on me at that time.
I think I can say it's one the books that got me hooked on reading.
It's hard to give a rating for this book now. I will give it 5 stars rating just because of its special place in my childhood.
Robert
I read this book because I kind of have a fantasy of being shipwrecked. It was a quick read, but seemed to lack a plot more enticing than the shipwreck itself. It was still enjoyable for a short story, but it never managed to make me care about the characters, and the conclusion seemed quick and non-resolutiony.
Colin Bartol
A surprisingly dark story. Normally Verne is much more upbeat, but this story practically could be an existentialist novel. Still it kept me engaged.
Rauf
The first real Jules Verne book I've ever read. Picked it 'cause I love that title. Real gnarly.
Gillian
The ultimate shipwreck story, complete with cannibalism.
Sylvia Riedisser
Sylvia Riedisser marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
chris roeder
chris roeder marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Diane Fowler
Diane Fowler marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Sara Minton
Sara Minton marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Lindel
Lindel marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Bad Twin
  • After All These Years
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • Lancelot
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • Deep River
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Gandhi's Passion: The Life and Legacy of Mahatma Gandhi
  • Hotel
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)