The Survivors of the Chancellor
read book

The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Wrought with struggle between nature and man, this enthralling depiction of the turmoil and thrill of a sea journey is one of Jules Verne's best novels.
138 pages
Published (first published 1875)

Lord of the Flies by William GoldingA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckWatership Down by Richard AdamsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
LOST Book Club
87th out of 87 books — 98 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHeart of Darkness and the Congo Diary by Joseph ConradThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
As seen on "Lost"
67th out of 70 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Uncle  Dave Avis
Jules Verne, of course, wrote in the mid 19th century, and his style of writing reflects this. Why say in short phrases what can be said in longer flowery phrases.
Once the reader gets beyond the style of writing shock, the story is really a good one. Verne develops the characters very well, builds the story with skill, and narrates in the first person the struggle of being shipwrecked. I have read a great many shipwreck narratives over the years, and find that this fictional work is very much l...more
Juan Carlos Santillán
Éste es, definitivamente, el libro más oscuro que he leído de Verne hasta el momento. En él no existen grandes descubrimientos científicos ni pormenorizadas descripciones geográficas. "El Chancellor" es la historia de un grupo de personas y sus diferentes maneras de hacer frente a un desastre inevitable, que pone a prueba su integridad física y moral. No es de los mejores libros del novelista francés, pero mantiene la tensión, el ritmo y la fluidez en casi toda su extensión.
dragonhelmuk
Stuart Taylor
Gave me what I wanted from Moby Dick!

The Survivors of the Chancellor is a book which for the first 40 - 50 pages felt dull and uneventful. Characters were established and the writing style was very fluid and immersive but it hadn't hooked me and I feared that i'd just plod through the book and conclude by giving it a lacklustre 3 stars, feeling that - though well written - it just didn't hook me. It was about this point though in these later pages where I started to realise how necessary this pa...more
Rodrigo
This is supposed to be the journal of one of the passengers. It feels more like journalism than literature. It's well written, but it's little more than an account of facts.
The characters are developed through dialog with the journal's writer and his opinions, this is well done and does not feel forced. He's the kind of person who never misjudges people, which makes the story less interesting. And all the characters act the same way the whole story, which is odd given the situations they go thro...more
Cait
I may have actually liked this book had I been able to read the print copy. Unfortunately I will never know. I was stuck listening to the audiobook narrated by John Bolen, as it was all my library had. What a terrible narrator! He kept slipping in and out of accents, which were god awful anyway. On top of that, I've seen people do the thorazine shuffle with more enthusiasm than Bolen could muster in his narration. At least it was short.

Sin
This is one the first books that I have read in my life.
I can't remember all details now but I know that it made a deep impression on me at that time.
I think I can say it's one the books that got me hooked on reading.
It's hard to give a rating for this book now. I will give it 5 stars rating just because of its special place in my childhood.
AmblingBooks

Listen to The Survivors of the Chancellor on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Robert
I read this book because I kind of have a fantasy of being shipwrecked. It was a quick read, but seemed to lack a plot more enticing than the shipwreck itself. It was still enjoyable for a short story, but it never managed to make me care about the characters, and the conclusion seemed quick and non-resolutiony.
Colin Bartol
A surprisingly dark story. Normally Verne is much more upbeat, but this story practically could be an existentialist novel. Still it kept me engaged.
Kimberly Mccrea
Book referenced on "Lost". Regina is reading the book upside down before she wraps herself in chains and leaps off the freighter.
Rauf
The first real Jules Verne book I've ever read. Picked it 'cause I love that title. Real gnarly.
Gillian Sawaged
The ultimate shipwreck story, complete with cannibalism.
Amber
Jan 03, 2009 Amber marked it as to-read
LOST - 207
Gregory Mcgill
Gregory Mcgill marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Eric Anderson
Eric Anderson marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Empathkath
Empathkath marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Evgeniy
Evgeniy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Chrisnaut
Chrisnaut marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Ieva Bielske
Ieva Bielske marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Daydreamer
Daydreamer marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Dhara
Dhara marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Dima
Dima marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
  • After All These Years
  • Bad Twin
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir
  • Lancelot
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Moon Pool
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • Hotel
  • The Third Policeman
  • A Separate Reality
  • A Little Book of Language
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)