Start by marking “Young Miles (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Young Miles

Lois McMaster Bujold

Young Miles (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #2, 5.1 & 6)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  4,197 ratings  ·  209 reviews
IT ISN'T EASY, BEING VOR...

Being a Vor lord on the war-torn planet Barrayar wasn't easy. Being an officer in Barrayar's military wasn't easy. And being the leader of a force of spaceborne mercenaries while maintaining a secret identity wasn't easy—in fact it should have been impossible, to say nothing of being a capital offense on Barrayar. Not that impossibility or great
Paperback
Published by Baen Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Young Miles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Miles

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Best Military Science Fiction Books
87th out of 402 books — 512 voters
On Basilisk Station by David WeberEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Short Victorious War by David WeberDauntless by Jack CampbellWar of Honor by David Weber
Naval Science Fiction
43rd out of 69 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
Oct 21, 2009 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Book Club Series Miles Vorkosigan
Mike
Full Review at my blog.

If I’m not mistaken Bujold ties Heinlein for the number of Hugo’s she has won. She is a diverse writer dabbling in both fantasy and science-fiction and managing to invest each genre with its own unique style. She is probably most well known Vorkosigan series featuring the energetic, and frequently trouble making Miles Vorkosigan.

While the series properly begins in Cordelia’s Honor, Young Miles is the first book (or couple of books since it is rightly a collection) to featu
Michael
Review from: Badelynge
For someone who likes Science Fiction it might seem strange that I'm only recently acquainted with the irrepressible Miles Vorkosigan. Better late than never though. I've just burned my way through the first three books featuring the little guy. Maybe it is for the best though, because if I'd read them as they were being published then I wouldn't have been able to read them in chronological order, as some of the books filled in the gaps between previously published books. I
Megan Baxter
Do you know that moment when you realize you're in the hands of a master storyteller? It's relaxing, in a way, because all the tension about whether-this-will-be-a-good-book-or-not just drains out of you, and you can marinate in what's happening, confident that whatever comes will be worth the trip.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire
rivka

Mountains of Mourning is awesome: 4.5 stars.

The novels which precede and follow it are also fun, but lack Mountain's thematic and emotional resonance.
Ron
3.5. Good stories, fun to read. No great insights or science.

The weird part is that I'm sure I've read part of the third story, perhaps in an anthology.
Chris
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 05, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space Opera Fans
This is an omnibus edition consisting of three tales. The first novel, "The Warrior's Apprentice," is where I officially fell in love with Miles, who sure isn't the usual square-jawed, bicep bulging sci-fi hero, and he's what made me go and seek out more of the series. It's rare I can say I fall in love with a character in a book, but I fell hard for Miles Vorkosigan, which is why this book gets five stars. Not because it's mind-expanding or has amazing prose--but because I loved the character s ...more
Stephanie
This is an omnibus edition that contains full novels The Warrior’s Apprentice and The Vor Game and the short story The Mountains of Mourning. From the previous book to the beginning of Warrior’s Apprentice, Miles Vorkosigan has grown up (well he’s 18) and usurps the literary center stage from his parents.

Miles is one of those characters it is hard not to be fascinated by. He is less than 4 ft tall and deformed with delicate bones that break at the slightest strain. He makes up for this physical
Morgan
If you're looking for trashy military sci-fi with a a free-wheeling, fun plot, you've come to the right place. If you're looking for a good sci-fi epic you'll be disappointed. This is no Ender's Game.

(Spoilers ahead)

Bujold is second only to Heinlein for Hugo Best Novel awards, and I have no idea why after reading this. It is a boy fantasy where everything goes right to build the headstrong underdog teen into a mercenary space admiral within one year (which Heinlein is guilty of frequently, but h
Tamahome
Dec 27, 2013 Tamahome marked it as lemmed  ·  review of another edition
Read about 50 pages. It's written in a historical style. Sometimes I think it's a little slow but then something really dramatic happens (shades of Peter F. Hamilton), usually to Miles who has some physical challenges (oh that scene at boot camp). I think I'll at least finish the first novel in the omnibus, which is only 300-something pages. This is the first Miles book. But is it science fiction? Reminds me of David Weber; well, they're both Baen. I've tried to start other Bujold books, but thi ...more
Brendan
An omnibus is always a gamble for me because I never know if I'm going to want to dive right in to the next book. In this case, I finished The Warrior's Apprentice, which is an awesome, rip-roaring adventure--really, it's paced like the best kind of old-time cliffhanger serial,where every success creates a new and bigger danger. I needed a change of pace before starting the next one, but I will be back for more.

UPDATE: Finished it. "The Mountains of Mourning" is a fantastic little mystery, and T
Tessa
Science fiction driven by characters and their moral struggles. The Mountains of Mourning was an incredible novella and I devoured the (long, omnibus) book over the course of a few days, trading sleep for its pages. Recommend!
Auroch
Rachel
(Technically The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountains of Mourning and The Vor Game)

Eh. I'm not sure what to say about these stories. I enjoyed them, but there was always something missing.(view spoiler)
Lisagoegan
This is the second Omnibus edition of the Vorkosigan series I've read and I'm hard pressed not to go out and buy the rest on the spot and read them all in a row, but I feel like the aftermath would be the worst book hangover ever and I'd mope for weeks about not being able to find anything I wanted to read next. So I'm dragging it out a bit and varying my diet, as is healthy...but my gods! These are brilliant books. I love them and I will read them all.

I'm not usually one for straight sci-fi an
Alina
This omnibus edition contains two novels (The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game) and a novella (The Mountains of Mourning) in the Miles Vorkosigan saga. The stories deal with the earliest portion of the character's career (with Miles being 17 at the beginning of The Warrior's Apprentice), and establish the character and his central conflict. Miles is the brilliant but disabled scion of a noble Barrayaran family, struggling to fill his expected role in his militaristic society despite his phy ...more
Jim
Product Description

It isn't easy, being Vor...Being a Vor lord on the war-torn planet Barrayar wasn't easy. Being an officer in Barrayar's military wasn't easy. And being the leader of a force of spaceborne mercenaries while maintaining a secret identity wasn't easy, in fact it should have been impossible, to say nothing of being a capital offense on Barrayar. Not that impossibility or great danger would slow down young Miles Vorkosigan much. Washed out of the Barrayaran Military Academy for b

Katie M.
Miles Vorkosigan is a fascinating, complex, and immensely likable protagonist. This book kept me up past my bedtime on several nights, not necessarily because it was too tense to put down (though the plot was fast moving and high stakes) but because I just enjoying the company of the characters and eager to see what adventure would come next. I often found myself laughing out loud, but the book doesn't neglect serious moral questions either.

My only complaint is that it needed more Cordelia.
Julie
It's been a LONG time since I've read decent Sci Fi! This somewhat reminds me of Ender's Game but it's definitely not a rip off. You can't help but root for the main character the whole way through. Looking forward to reading the other books in this series.

Also, this is NOT the first omnibus of the series, but it is the first major introduction the main character throughout the rest. The first omnibus can be considered a prequel so it's fine to start here.
Mike A.
Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold is the first omnibus edition in the Miles Vorkosigan Adventures series (there is a book before this one, but with a different protagonist). The omnibus contains three stories: The Warrior's Apprentice, The Mountain of Mourning, and The Vor Game.
What drives this story forward is the intelligent protagonist Miles Vorkosigan, the child of a Vor-Lord, the nobility of the military system on the planet Barrayar. Victim of a toxic attack against his father as an unbo
apple
The first thing you notice about Miles is physically he's a very small person. The second thing is that a little bit of him goes a long, long way.
What's not to love about scheming young Miles..he's always optimistic, funny, never fail to pull a rabbit out of a very unlikely hat..and so damn resilient! I got swept right away in Miles' forward momentum through the 3 books in this omnibus. The Vor Game kind of sagged in the middle but was fun nevertheless.
April
Mar 23, 2013 April rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to April by: Christi Flagg
Terrible book cover, fantastic book. I love the strategic thinking of the main character and his ways of getting out of pickles I never would have imagined. It vaguely reminded me of the strategic-thinking aspect I loved in Bitterblue. Now I want to read the sequels.
Titus Fortner
Absolutely fantastic. I love the characters and the machinations. It just flows very well, there's never a page where I'm not intently curious about what I'm going to find on the next.

My one complaint would be that there are too many crazy coincidences that are necessary to move the plot along. She makes the reading so enjoyable, though, I can't be very upset.
Genevieve
LOVED this book(s).

Warrior's Apprentice: What a great protagonist! Starting with so many disadvantages, he never gives up and repeatedly uses nothing but chutzpah and desperation to turn the situation to his (temporary) advantage. Inspiring. And the plot was fantastic, progressively getting crazier and crazier--

(Spoiler alert: who would ever have imagined you could bluff your way into building a mercenary fleet by accident? My kids loved the part where he made the enemy fighter pee his space su
This was completely fun. Miles would be totally insufferable as a main character if it wasn't for his constant awareness that he's about to fall flat on his face in the most humiliating fashion possible. That one trait makes him fun instead of an annoying know-it-all. I'm so glad I was turned onto Bujold.
Aimee
A kind soul at Pulp Fiction in Brisbane gave me this book for free, citing a case of mistaken identity and my quest to read everything ever written by Georgette Heyer. This is a brilliant book! I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series.
Jessica
I was actually really suprised because this was a book that both me and my husband really liked (I've never been a huge fan of sci-fi). But Miles is a really lovable protagonist, and I laughed and laughed at the messes he managed to get into.
Caitlin (Ayashi)
MILES IS SO GREAT!

What a fascinating character. I'm so happy to have "met" him and I can't wait to keep going... I need to give some time to some other books too, though :)
Jared
Includes the heartbreaking novella "The Mountains of Mourning". All you need to fall in love with these stories is a heart and an ability to read. Flawless.
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • The Vorkosigan Companion
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)

“If you're trying to take a roomful of people by surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets if you don't yell going through the door.” 25 likes
“Apologizing to me again, thought Miles miserably. For me. He keeps telling me I'm all right—and then apologizing. Inconsistent, Father.He shuffled back and forth across the room again, and his pain burst into speech. He flung his words against the deaf door, "I'll make you take back that apology! I am all right, damn it! I'll make you see it. I'll stuff you so full of pride in me there'll be no room left for your precious guilt! I swear by my word as Vorkosigan. I swear it, Father," his voice fell to a whisper, "Grandfather. Somehow, I don't know how . . .” 10 likes