Start by marking “Through Other Continents: American Literature Across Deep Time” as Want to Read:
Through Other Continents: American Literature Across Deep Time

Through Other Continents: American Literature Across Deep Time

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  2 reviews
What we call American literature is quite often a shorthand, a simplified name for an extended tangle of relations." This is the argument of "Through Other Continents," Wai Chee Dimock's sustained effort to read American literature as a subset of world literature.

Inspired by an unorthodox archive--ranging from epic traditions in Akkadian and Sanskrit to folk art, paintings
Published October 2nd 2006 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Through Other Continents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Other Continents

Sofia Samatar
This book is a breathtaking roller-coaster ride through American literature, but not the American literature you usually find in anthologies. Dimock's study embraces texts like the Bhagavad Gita and the Egyptian Book of the Dead, engages with disciplines like geometry and physics, and places Henry James beside Gilgamesh and Coyote stories beside the legends of Hanuman. Best of all, you can actually read it. Oh, how I love literary criticism that's also good writing!

I was a little disappointed in
A scholarly book about American literature and how we should think about it not in terms of the nation but in terms of the planet, not in terms of the century but in terms of "deep time" that can draw unexpected links and even create simultaneity between the ancient past and the contemporary.

Some of this book is mind-blowing...and some of its metaphors and ideas drawn from other fields (like fractal geometry as an analogue to literary genre studies) will I am sure stay with me. I'll admit that I
Baghdadi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Jason Kin Wai Yan
Jason Kin Wai Yan is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Mohammad S Al-Zein
Mohammad S Al-Zein marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Izetta Autumn
Izetta Autumn marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Andrew Thomas
Andrew Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Kyle Henrichs
Kyle Henrichs is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2014
Bastien marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Justine Dano
Justine Dano marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Sarah added it
Jul 30, 2013
Steve Mclellan
Steve Mclellan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Empire for Liberty: Melville and the Poetics of Individualism Residues of Justice: Literature, Law, Philosophy Rethinking Class: Literary Studies And Social Formations Shades of the Planet: American Literature as World Literature Differences: In The Event (A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies)