Start by marking “The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy ” as Want to Read:
The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy

The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  469 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Welcome to the first comprehensive encyclopedia of the human energetic anatomy. Here is a reference that no personal or professional health care library should be without—an in-depth, illustrated guide to the invisible energies of spirit, psyche, and consciousness that influence every aspect of our well-being.

Whether you are looking for the complementary medicine to enhanc

Paperback, 1st edition, 487 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Subtle Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subtle Body

Cathy Douglas
Nov 21, 2011 Cathy Douglas rated it it was ok
I got this for my husband, who wanted to explore alternative healing. He never got around to reading it.

But I picked it up recently, as a reference for a short article I'm writing about chakras. The information on this subject is all right, but diffuse; it's hard to tell where to look, exactly, without reading a hundred pages just to get a basic grasp on the topic. I was not loving this book, but as a reference, I wasn't hating it either.

Then I made the mistake of sitting down to read a chapter.
Jan
May 27, 2014 Jan rated it did not like it
Shelves: pseudoscience
I really wanted to like this book, which was given to me by a dear friend with the best of intentions. I did get out of it an outline of the Chinese meridian system and the Hindu Chakra system, and a passing acquaintance with a few other popular beliefs.

Unfortunately, the writing was sloppy and the thinking was sloppier. Instead of simply outlining various belief systems, critically or uncritically, the author engaged in the worst kind of pseudoscience to "prove" various ideas. She started out w
Nathaniel Nathaniel
Oct 04, 2014 Nathaniel Nathaniel rated it liked it
Basically, it's not a book to be read from cover to cover - it's a reference book. You need something and you get it. At the same time, it's not really an encyclopedia - this book is something *between* a non-fiction manual and a dictionary/encyclopedia. The author did a lot of research so the value of the book is great when it comes to knowledge, although I've noticed minor mistakes and flaws - thus, no reader should trust the content of the book completely. Let's say that it's 80% worth of tru ...more
Valerie Welch
Aug 27, 2014 Valerie Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly, a scientific approach to the otherworldly subject of subtle energy. It is a well put together textbook to the class I always wanted to take, but was never given the choice to.
Rah~ri

Is this book any good?
Or os it just the mega-compilation of
new-age-babel-blahblahblah-stick-finger-down-your-throat-airy-fairy-fuzzy-bunny-that-should-be-made-into-stew-for-me-and-you-kinda-book-ish-thing???
I know i'm a brat :)
but i have a luv hate relationship with this stuff.
So, i guess this looks decent online?
Is it?
Why?
How?

Seems more than every other person coming into the shop
is talking to me about energetics? ... kinda fun...kinda exhausting?
Would like to have a good reference book for
Ashley
Apr 07, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
beautiful book full of inspiring information on the chakras and energy anatomy. I especially enjoyed how it combined science and metaphysics. A nice go-to book for info especially on the chakras and auras. I really enjoyed how open and expansive the discussion was on different cultures and how it incorporated various elements from the cellular to the different auric bodies. It shows how even though there are different methods of healing, they all interconnect. It also inspired me to look at heal ...more
Melissa
I'd really been looking forward to reading this for awhile, and I have to admit that, about 50 odd pages in, I'm a little disappointed. I've just finished the sections that cover the physics and biology topics, and I had to reread passages multiple times just to understand what the hell she was getting at, and this as a bio major who loves all things science.

She often uses terms without defining them or defines them in a way that makes the passage more, not less, confusing. If you don't have a
Chane
May 26, 2015 Chane added it
I read the chapters that were most of interest. It was a great read, short sections helped me manage my reading time and made me feel like I was making great progress. lol.

Overall the book was informational and useful for me.
Amy
Feb 27, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Even though this is called "An Encyclopedia" I read it cover to cover.

The value of Cyndi Dale's book is that she includes a large number of subtle energetic frameworks from a wide variety of cultures. She also gives more detailed overviews of the Chinese meridian system and the Indian chakra system.

She includes a long list energy healing modalities, coupled with descriptions (some better than others). Everything that I know about is in there, but that doesn't mean she didn't miss something, of c
Kelley
Feb 10, 2016 Kelley rated it really liked it
Great reference book!
Charlotte
Jul 18, 2013 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
This book had fantastic illustrations and made a valiant effort to present actual science woven in with historical and recent applications for various healing modalities. While the Herculean effort to outline all subtle practices, by sheer volume, of course falls short, the author definitely chooses her topics wisely to enable her to compare and contrast different healing modalities and energy systems.

I learned so very much from this book. Totally recommend it for subtle energy practitioners of
Dec 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A challenging book to get through because it is so dense, but I can't imagine continuing on my personal and professional path in regards to energy work without it. So much information and everything well referenced.
Alysa Volpe
Jan 30, 2013 Alysa Volpe rated it really liked it
I use this as reference quite often and recommend it as cliff notes for any teacher of yoga and esoteric philosophies.
Ruth
Mar 07, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-age-health
Excellent overview for those new to energy work. Also a great reference for someone already more advanced.
Holly
meh. Took me a year and a day to finish it. I think that says all that needs to be said.
Sajida
Sep 16, 2009 Sajida rated it it was amazing
Very complicated to read. But definitely worth it for yogis
Sheilagh
Sheilagh marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Satinder
Satinder marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Daniyal
Daniyal rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Lee
Ian Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Jenn Fennell
Jenn Fennell marked it as to-read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Amber G.
Amber G. marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Stania
Stania rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Katherine Lemon
Katherine Lemon rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
  • Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
  • Energy Medicine for Women: Aligning Your Body's Energies to Boost Your Health and Vitality
  • Kundalini and the Chakras: Evolution in This Lifetime: A Practical Guide
  • The Chakra Bible: The Definitive Guide to Working with Chakras
  • Wheels of Light: Chakras, Auras, and the Healing Energy of the Body
  • The Promise of Energy Psychology: Revolutionary Tools for Dramatic Personal Change
  • The Book of Stones: Who They Are & What They Teach
  • The Reiki Sourcebook
  • Cupid's Poisoned Arrow: From Habit to Harmony in Sexual Relationships
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • Magick of Reiki: Focused Energy for Healing, Ritual, & Spiritual Development
  • The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Therapies
  • Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha
  • The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • The Enlightened Sex Manual: Sexual Skills for the Superior Lover
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art

“To achieve excellence, we must also consider and work with what is not apparent, with what cannot be seen. We must journey into the complex world of subtle energies.” 0 likes