Start by marking “Class with the Countess: How to Live with Elegance and Flair” as Want to Read:
Class with the Countess: How to Live with Elegance and Flair

Class with the Countess: How to Live with Elegance and Flair

2.48 of 5 stars 2.48  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The glamorous star of Bravo's hit show The Real Housewives of New York City makes it easy to be elegant, with contemporary etiquette tips and a complete course in the art of sophisticated living.

Countess LuAnn de Lesseps knows firsthand that class is a state of mind, not a birthright. Raised in Connecticut-half French Canadian, half Native American-she worked as a nurse b
Published April 16th 2009 by Gotham (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Class with the Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class with the Countess

MaryEllen
After paging through this book and watching several episodes of Real Housewives, it is painfully apparent that not only is this woman count-less, she's also class-less. This book should be shelved under satire.
Lauren Jackson
Finding this book at a discount book outlet, I had never seen any of the "Real Housewives," I was only interested in its premise. The book started strong: I really appreciated the biography portion as an explanation of how she learned her skills of interpersonal interaction and some of her etiquette. It led for a grounded introduction into the content of etiquette and attitude.

The spark was there and a fire within was lit. I am now known for my enthusiasm for etiquette and my consumption of etiq
Taylor Sassy Countess
There are a couple of things that de Lesseps wrote that I do not agree with. One was to give videos of the Real Housewives as gifts. I know this was just a joke by her, but I had to put that in. ;) However, others were to not take children with you to restaurants. I think that this is wrong. Children should learn how to eat out, and others should have tolerance for them. I do think that the children should behave, and that their parents should be in control! However, the only way for people to l ...more
Amy
This version of class and etiquette is tied together nicely with anecdotal commentary that illustrate either what the Countess learned in the way of class from her life experiences or by her upbringing. This is the type of book you can just skim through or jump ahead to the chapter(s) if you're looking for something specific. The no-nonsense approach (no haughtiness whatsoever) makes it easy to read.
Susan Jones
I've never heard of Countess LuAnn and never seen Real Housewives of New York. I just thought the title was interesting and had several flights ahead of me before the final one landed in Nashville, so a book purchase was necessary. This book was delicious! I truly enjoyed reading it. Most of the info I already knew, but it's always refreshing to hear it again.
christina
THIS WAS HORRID. I took it out from the library to read while i got my nails done. I actually decided it was so bad i put it away and tried to converse with my nail girl who speaks NO english. She's distasteful, patronizing and everything in between. I knew it wasn't going to be good- but didn't know how bad it was going to be.
Christopher
It's in my bathroom. Best place for it
Shalyn
I had no idea who Countess LuAnn de Lesseps was when I first heard about this book. (I’m not a fan of reality TV.) I only read the back cover comments, which of course make the book sound fantastic. I have always loved a good etiquette book, and I guess I was kind of taken in by the whole author-is-a-countess thing. The book was okay, but I think I'm just not the book's intended market. It might be a good first-book on poise and etiquette for someone in her teens or early twenties (or for a fan ...more
Grace
I have to say I found Ms. de Lesseps one of the classier women on the reality show, it seems that Real Housewives of NY has just reduced itself to a show of catfights and bickering, but she is the one cast member who has refrained from becoming involved in the petty bickering. True to her book, I enjoyed reading her tips, most of which were common sense, but as she states, and I've noted with the general public, is lost on many people. It was hard to read the end of the book, which dealt with th ...more
Kharah
I blitzed through this book because I skipped/skimmed all the irrelevant parts, and there were a lot of them. There are some nuggets that could be gleaned, but there's so much name dropping, stories about how glamorous the author is, adverts for that Housewives show, odes to her husband and so on that it's not worth it. And when she got to the seduction and how-to-get-and-keep-a-man part, my inner feminist had a conniption fit. (Apparently a strange man randomly grabbing your ass in public is a ...more
Virginia Wright
The message I took away from this book--be firm but pleasant when dealing with your inferiors (I.e., the little people ).
Meg
I thought it was very good it was a little slow but other then that it was a really good book
Tina
I'm a huge fan of the Real Housewives of New York City and couldn't wait to read one of their books...ANYONES BOOK!
Much to my dismay, this book was just a way to let everyone know where's she's been and who she knows. If you are standing upright, then you already know most of the etiquette tips she gives - her advice was almost insulting.
Majorly disappointed - and unfortunately I see her in a whole new, way more arrogant light.
Julie
A waste of money. A friend of mine strongly recommended this to me and I'm really disappointed. LuAnn basically pisses away pages with her pretentious attitude and her elitest lifestyle, if you could call it that. This book doesn't teach or reflect class. It's clearly a book she pumped out to stroke her ego, which isn't at all surprising when it comes to LuAnn.
Jillian
Trite. Filled with cliches and useless advice (unless you're about to meet royalty), but some good modeling pics of LuAnn. I didn't expect much, so I downloaded it from my library's ebook catalog (almost as a joke) to skim. I watch the Real Housewives of New York to feel superior, and that's what this book did for me. I gave it an extra star for that.
Shannon
Giving up. I love the Countess on the show, but the book doesn't really have any discernible organization. While the stories are sweet and sometimes funny, I just can't quite take the writing. Disappointing- I was looking forward to reading this when it was announced on the show! :( Still love Countess LuAnn, though.
Niki
Interesting, but since hobnobbing with European royalty isn't likely to happen to me anytime soon, I felt like many of the tips and stories in the book were written for another audience. I appreciated much more her tips on teaching manners to your children and how to treat others.
I'm a big fan of the show, and I was really impressed with the Countess when I heard her speak at her first-ever book signing. She's actually very down to earth, funny and of course has impeccable poise and charm. I say, let's bring back class and manners!
Misty Hebb
Overall I liked it, and thought a lot of the information was useful, but her life is a little too formal for my taste. Loved the Mae West quotes in the last chapters.
Amy
Pretentious, condescending, shallow, and poorly written. Naturally, I loved it. Realistically, it probably deserves less than 2 stars.
Nicole Petrosky
Good reminder book for etiquette. Something that is much needed today!
Julie
Super good book by of one of the Real Housewives of NY!
Amanda
Entertaining, but not amazing.
Michele
Absolutely awful, but I had to read it!
Kenyatta
Kenyatta marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
i think it will be humerous 1 13 Mar 13, 2009 01:08PM
LuAnn de Lesseps, self styled Countess LuAnn or The Countess is an American television personality, recording artist, socialite, and former fashion model best known for her appearances on the Bravo show The Real Housewives of New York City. Her nickname, which is not actually an official title bestowed from France, comes from her previous marriage to Frenchman Alexandre de Lesseps, a descendant of ...more
More about LuAnn de Lesseps...