Warrior: En Garde (The Warrior Trilogy, #1)

Warrior: En Garde (The Warrior Trilogy #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The heir apparent of the Lyran Commonwealth has been kidnapped, just when her secret betrothal to Prince Hanse Davion of the Federated Suns would cement the most powerful alliance in the Inner Sphere. Meanwhile, as two half brothers find themselves fighting on opposite sides of the Inner Sphere's endless battles, one uncovers a fiendish plot against the heir and undertakes...more
Published August 1st 1988 by McGraw-Hill/Contemporary (first published 1988)

Anthony Emmel
Nov 18, 2011 Anthony Emmel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Battletech fans, science-fiction enthusiasts
Warrior: En Garde is the first installment of the Warrior Trilogy of the Battletech fiction. first published in 1988, it was one of the first Battletech novels.

3 stars. The writing is solid from a technical standpoint, both from a descriptive standpoint and also from a translation standpoint (i.e., rules/game play converted to fiction). There are a few problems in the translation (firing arm-mounted lasers immediately after a punch, for instance), but, in general, things follow the rules of the...more
Jeremy
Michael Stackpole is an excellent writer who delivers a strong performance in this first book of a three part series, featuring many prominent characters famous within the franchise.

En Garde is a story of political intrigue, deception, betrayal, and is not only a good choice for first-time readers of the franchise, but a must read for fans. It is also the strongest book in the series, with the some of the best character development and exploration of the Battletech universe.

Even if you're not fa...more
Damien Palmer
Ughhh. Not that it starts out all that great, but about halfway in, the book gets real bad, and then it is all downhill from there. The dialogue is sloppy, the internal monologues are often unnecessary, most of the characters are flat, and the action is utterly lackluster. The worst is that at several points, the author fundamentally mischaracterizes the relationship between standard (teran) hours/days and planet hours/days, which wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't also decided to craft a plot-turn...more
Daniel O'connell
Similar to many (most?) who have read this story and others within the Battletech series, I became acquainted with it when I was younger. In my case, I first read this when I was still in in my teenage years, though even now, as a university-educated thirty-something, I still greatly enjoy it. While there is no doubt some effect of nostalgia present whenever I pick up the book (or any Battletech book), I can feel confident in stating that as a piece of writing, it's plenty good even without rose...more
Eric Lawson
Warrior: En Garde is the first in the Warrior Trilogy by Michael A Stackpole. A sweeping story of politics, betrayal, love and revenge. As this is the first book in the trilogy there are a large number of characters to be introduced. This causes the story to jump around a lot which is a little distracting at times. The three main storylines cover the mercenary group The Kell Hounds, the Archon Designate Melissa Steiner and a mechwarrior Justin Xiang Allard.

It's interesting re-reading this series...more
Seth Brown
Warrior: en Garde is a decent read, as far as mindless sci-fi goes. It's not a deep book, won't make you think about anything after you're done reading, and probably won't make your top 10 list, but it's fun at times.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Stackpole's writing. His characters feel fairly flat, and I detest the inner monologue of his characters that he writes. Rather than expressing a character's feelings through subtle actions or hints, he just writes a voice over that spells things out in...more
Sean
This first series of books based in the BattleTech universe is my favorite out of all of them. If you ever played Mechwarrior, watched Voltron, or Gundam, this is based on the same principle. Humans in giant robotic armor attack each other for the success and future of their own territories. My favorite part about this series is that it makes you think about your own ethics. Growing up, I modeled my behavior after House Davion and the Kell Hounds. These books really leave a lasting impression.
Steve
A good Battletech book. Stackpole keeps the pages turning, although I think there is often too much happenstance during the battle scenes. Stackpole is good at political intrigue and writes well in a science fiction setting. It is too bad that most of his non-licensed work is in Fantasy because he is much better writing in this milieu.
Tony
I just could not get emotionally involved in the characters or story, much as I love Mechwarrior online and Mecha in general. The characters all felt so flat. I just didn't care about any of then. Couldn't finish it because reading it became kind of a chore. Something about Stackpole's style seemed cheesy and superficial. Maybe it's just me...
Rachel
Although I started to read this one reluctantly because of my husband's request, I ended up liking it well enough despite the robot armor and the gladiator fights. The political intrigues are quite interesting, and there's even some romance hidden among all the metal flying and laser scoring.
John
If you are an old-school BattleTech fan/player, you should really enjoy this book and series. (Of note is that the author used the actual game rules to determine some details of the battles fought.) It's a very well-written account of the Fourth Succession Wars and the players therein.
Chris
I found my old Battletech books and remembered that this was the one that got me into the series. I have to say, years later, this is still one of the series that I can read over and over, even knowing what is going to happen, I can enjoy every chapter.
J.A.
This was the first Battletech book I read. And boy, I love it since the beginning. When I moved to Tijuana and could not stop buying the rest of the book; I did not get them all, some of them did not like.
Granger44
This book and the other two books in the trilogy are a very intriguing set. A good introduction to the Inner Sphere side of Battletech.
Christian
Ich meine mich zu erinnern, dass "Coupé" noch am interessantesten war. Insgesamt fand ich die Warrior-Triologie aber irgendwie langatmig.
Seth Goodnight
Certainly not a world changing book, but a fun read for any fans of the Battletech universe.
David
Very good introduction to the Battle-tech Universe.
Benjamin
some of the beats BTech writing.
Andrew
Sep 26, 2009 Andrew is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This series was hard to find. Gonna read it soon! Heard good things about it! if you play the battletech games, read some novel, ok?
Chris Sharp
Chris Sharp marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
  • Wolves on the Border
  • Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Exodus Road (Twilight of the Clans, #1)
  • Falcon Guard (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #3)
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion, # 1)
  • In Death Ground (Starfire, #3)
  • Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts, #3)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom #1)
  • Pathways
  • Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
  • 2XS (Shadowrun, #4)
  • Dream Park (Dream Park, #1)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Ausgebrannt
Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1) I, Jedi (Star Wars) Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2) The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3) The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)