Start by marking “Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 2

Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 2 (Captain America vol. 5 #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,316 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Alternate cover for Winter Soldier Volume 2 (ISBN 0785119213/9780785119210).

The questions plaguing Captain America's dreams and memories have been answered in the most brutal way possible. And in the wake of this brutality, General Lukin makes his first all-out assault - tearing open old wounds and threatening to make new scars that will never heal! Collects Captain Americ
Published November 8th 2006 by Marvel Comics (first published May 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America

Stephen
I’m not gonna toss a tantrum or spew geek rage all over this review (though I may stomp my feet once or twice), but seriously, folks, a lukewarm quality Cap graphic novel written by Ed Brubaker is just a teary-eyed disappointment for me. Eddie is one of the elite comic writers working today (or ever) and Cap has become his signature series. Before Brubaker came along, Cap was a softening, 1950's anachronism with the beginnings of man-boobs. Ed took Cap's aging, saggy bottom and re-forged him bac ...more
Kemper
Mar 31, 2014 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain America and SHIELD struggle to stop a string of terror attacks that are part of a larger plan, and the architect of it has a very old grudge as well as a devastating personal card to play against Cap.

I noted when reviewing Vol. 1 that the secret of the Winter Soldier has been out there for some time. I’ve written about him in several of my own reviews for Brubaker’s run of Captain America as well as the Winter Soldier’s own book. But the movie comes out next week and for once Hollywood h
Dirk Grobbelaar
I still own the trade paperbacks that came in a Volume 1 and Volume 2. I see that The Winter Soldier has since been published in a single volume (Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection) which makes perfect sense. It’s impossible for me to rate the two volumes separately.

So, I just wrote a single review, which will be exactly the same for both:
Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 2

This is a prime example of how good the graphic medium can
Alistair
Oct 14, 2015 Alistair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight into the creation of Bucky aka the winter soldier and how him and cap met and built a friendship.

The way Brubaker manages to portray Bucky as a complete badass even at the age of 16 is excellent. In this volume we also get to see captain America go up against Bucky and it's a good fight!

What's also very interesting is the interaction with the cosmic cube. Because the artwork is drawn in such a real world way it's kind of easy to forget that it's cosmic and can do pretty much an
Eric
May 06, 2014 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Captain America fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Winter Soldier story-line really shouldn't have been split up into two volumes, as all of my concerns in my review of the first volume -- not enough Cap, not enough action, not enough resolution -- were addressed in this volume.

That being said, Captain America still doesn't even crack my top ten list of favorite superheroes. He is too one-note with the punching and shielding repeated ad nauseam -- it makes me think of the saying that when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a
Paul
Feb 08, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book where Captain America's sidekick, Bucky, is brought back. Hmmm, this is a sort of sacrilege to me. There are some deaths in the Marvel Universe that I feel are sacred. There's Gwen Stacy. Uncle Ben. And Bucky.

So, I'm not sure how I feel about Bucky being back. On the one hand, it pisses me off, but there's a twelve year old in me that loves seeing Bucky again. I collect golden age comics, so Bucky's no stranger to me, and an updated version actually works.

I suppose that's the thing: t
Darth Andrew
OMG BUCKY <3

Brubaker, you have shown me how amazing you really are with your Captain America run, and I want to thank you for these great stories!
Marta L
3'5
Kalebe
Dec 15, 2014 Kalebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para continuar lendo, acesse o Espanador: http://espanadores.blogspot.com.br/20...

Dentro dessas descobertas, cheguei a uma conclusão que eu jamais acreditei que fosse possível: descobri que o Capitão América é um dos personagens mais fodas dos quadrinhos (pensando no universo dos super heróis).

Ainda me surpreende ao escrever isso, mas eu li algumas histórias que me desarmaram. Sempre pensei no Capitão América como o soldado ideal, bandeira dos EUA, o bom moço mas com aquela arrogância (que imagi
Linsey
May 07, 2014 Linsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-book-bingo
Gavin
Jul 18, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Volume 2 of this collection (which was actually Ed Brubaker's first work for Marvel! - this collection, not Vol 2) picks right up where the first left off. The Winter Solider has been spotted, and there's a good chance it's none other than a long lost hero from the past...
Featuring Cap alongside Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, Falcon and Iron Man. This shows just how deep loyalty runs, the importance of friendship, and sets up one heck of a run on this series...Strongly recommended.
Tym
As before an excellent read, one part political thriller, one part war story and one part emotional thriller. I LOVED Winter Soldier the first time I read it and the same still holds true. The art is a great blend of dark, realistic and yet still superhero-ey enough to pull of Falcom and other guest stars. I think this is probbly the best Captain America story ever written. I just wish I owned my own copy.
Gregory
May 06, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naturally, I didn't realize that I picked up Vol. 2 until it was too late, but I honestly don't see what I could have missed in Vol. 1. Winter Soldier Vol. 2 feels pretty self contained, with the obvious set up for future adventures of Captain America. Without spoiling anything that isn't already common knowledge, Winter Soldier sees Captain America confront a face from his past, his former side-kick and best friend Bucky. This volume builds fairly slow and spends a lot more time filling in Wint ...more
Annia Smith
Nov 16, 2014 Annia Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The company in charge of Marvel's publications in my country is slowly releasing some titles and that's the reason I could finally buy this amazing story after so many years of it being one of my favourites.

And it's nice, being able to read it after so many years and realize that after all I've learned in University and after all I've changed, I can still love and enjoy this story the same way I did.

That's why you re-read books, I believe, to find your past self within those pages all over again
Gayle Francis Moffet
An excellent second half of the arc. I mean, come on, like my answer was gonna be anything else. At this point, the Winter Soldier arc is beyond a modern classic. It's the basis for everything Bucky in the MCU. I'd call it required reading if I ever felt the need to require anyone to read stuff to pass some sort of comic book test.

What makes it great is how much time Brubaker invests into Winter Soldier as a character. He gives us the deep background that shows how dark and awful the Winter Sol
Silas
Apr 07, 2014 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection deserved the name a bit more than the previous one, since it features rather a bit more of the story behind the Winter Soldier, and sets the character up with a place in the universe. I started the story prior to the movie, but didn't finish it until after, and found it interesting which bits were included. Otherwise, the story is good, and an interesting idea when viewed historically. I have never been a huge fan of Captain America comics, overall, but this is good, and catches ...more
Lissibith
Mar 05, 2014 Lissibith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second half of this fantastic story of Captain America dealing with a part of his past he'd hoped he had moved fast. There's a lot more action in this half than in the initial half, and a lot more character development.

Honestly, when I read this the first time through, the reveal of who Winter Soldier was totally floored me - as was the reveal of what, exactly, Bucky had been to the group's WW II efforts.

As I said in my review of the first book, this was my introduction to Captain America as mo
Josh
Apr 12, 2014 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Overall a solid story, especially the issue describing the creation and history of the Winter Soldier. Otherwise, I didn't like how overly serious the tone is. Special mention should be made of issue #9, which was seriously lame (fly to bad guy's hideout, take out a bunch of soldiers, bad guy is hanging out with US government muckity-mucks, turn tail and run). It just felt like such a waste and a false note. While I do like Epting's art, the action is sometimes hard to follow.

I think I was spoil
Tom
Nov 13, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After learning his original old partner is alive and another former partner (Nomad) is very much dead, while not knowing the Red Skull isn't quite so dead, Captain America goes after the former KGB officer who seems intent on being the sort of terrorist and legitimate businessman who does things with just enough legality to get a laugh at Captain America without personally throwing a punch.

This volume gives the full backstory for how Bucky survived being blown to bits, why he hasn't aged, and wh
Marcelo
What would you think if I told you you that Marvel decided to bring back Bucky, Captain America's WWII sidekick? Pretty stupid idea, right? But this is Ed Brubaker were talking about so... Yeah. Damn good job if you ask me.

He manages to write a pretty adult story in spite of being limited to the PG level of a monthly trade paperback. Brubaker manages to write something that is going a feel new to both veteran and just-arrived readers alike. He ties some pretty old lose knots and makes some more
James Torpy
Apr 20, 2014 James Torpy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book ! This has Captain America working with SHIELD and being out into the situation of having to defeat his best friend and sidekick - Bucky Barnes. Now Bucky has returned, controlled by Russians to be the ultimate assassin known only as - The Winter Soldier !!!! This also has Captain America team up with two super heroes! If you want to read this because the movie the new movie called Captain America: The Winter Soldier, this is still a great book but the movie didn't take much from this ...more
Phillip Berrie
A Captain America story involving a Russian assassin known as Winter Soldier. Trying hard here not to give away spoilers.

In a lot of ways this story is a trip down memory lane for both Captain America and his fans with many references to his origin and his activities in the second world war. There are also appearances here of many of Cap's more recent associates ranging from Iron Man through to the Falcon and Sharon Carter of SHIELD.

In the end, I thought the character interaction overrode the pl
Shelley
Aug 02, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cap finds out that Bucky's alive, and we find out Bucky's pretty horrific life since the 40s. Using Steve reading the Witner Soldier reports was such a great way of giving us that history, from putting him on ice because he kept a sense of his old self to learning he couldn't do American missions because he'd escape and find his way to NYC. The image of him in stasis among boxes in storage, since the 80s, is a pretty haunting picture, too. I admit, I wish they'd used that file in the movie, too, ...more
Ritinha
Nov 02, 2014 Ritinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Com o ponto alto no dossiê do projecto Soldado do Inverno e o ponto fraco no modo pouco sofisticado como fecha a história, este segundo volume vale também pela arte de Epting contrastada pela de Lark, que não distam da categoria do argumento de Brubaker.
Em jeito de conto de Natal, há ainda Winter Soldier #001, claramente inferior em qualidade ao que antecede, mas, ainda assim, um extra interessante para um follow-up da personagem.
Alejandro
Feather Mista
Sep 23, 2011 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del autor y la serie.
Recommended to Feather by: Su fama.
"Aprovechando que estaba tan demencialmente barato, decidí darle una chance a esta tan aclamada etapa de Brubaker con el Banderín Yanqui. Cuando lo lea veré si era para tanto." dije entonces. Y la verdad que de haberlo pagado muy caro quizás no me habría convencido, pero a este precio, sigo contento, digo ahora. No es ni el mejor guion que le leí a Brubaker ni los mejores dibujos que le vi a Epting. Creo que ni siquiera es la mejor historieta que leí del ambivalente Capitán América. Pero sumando ...more
Jeb
May 08, 2014 Jeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a huge fan of this run. Brubaker's a great genre writer and he handles the spy/espionage elements with aplomb. Steve Epting's art is gritty, bathed in shadows, perfectly suited for the subject matter. At the same time, he expertly hits every emotional beat, with emotionally expressive face and body language that gives the story added depth. The only thing I didn't like was how Bucky's defeat felt like hand waving. though maybe that's bound to be the case when the cosmic cube is involved.
Jeff Lanter
Jul 16, 2013 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the things that struck me in this volume of Captain America is how great a job Brubaker is doing with long-form storytelling. There are secrets shared with the reader in each issue and there are always things that take many issues to fully reveal themselves too. If you also enjoy this type of stuff in your graphic novels, then Winter Soldier should be another enjoyable story arc. This volume focuses on Bucky and Lukin. I don't have any attachment to Bucky, but I can imagine many fans have ...more
Fabio Hirano
It's an o.k. story. Much better than some other things they've done with Captain America, but nothing really trilling. You should read if you're an Captain Ameria fan, or if you're kind of curious about the story the movie was based on. But I wouldn't recomend it as a must read comic book.
Andrew
Nov 26, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
A fully entertaining read, but I can't help but feel that Brubaker's reinvention of Cap leaves the harder aspects of Cap to pull off in a story on the cutting room floor. Brubaker paints the soldier side of him well, but I had to bring the optimism and hope from my own belief of the character, not the story's presentation. This volume of course also commits comic books' (perhaps) greatest 'fault'. Bringing a character back to life and once more diminishing the power of death. This is always a tw ...more
  • The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Truth: Red, White, and Black
  • The Invincible Iron Man: Extremis
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 1: Sidekicks (Young Avengers, #1)
  • The Ultimates, Vol. 1: Super-Human
  • Captain America: The Chosen
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...

Captain America vol. 5 (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 1
  • Captain America: Red Menace, Vol. 2
  • Civil War (Captain America vol. 5, #5)
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Captain America: The Man With No Face