Start by marking “Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)

Epidemie (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  37,794 ratings  ·  192 reviews
De verschijnselen doen zich heel plotseling voor: zware hoofdpijn, hoge koorts, buikpijn, diarree, braken, keelpijn en hoesten. Een gruwelijke epidemie, waaraan alle besmette mensen onherroepelijk bezwijken, grijpt razendsnel om zich heen. De ene epidemiehaard is nog nauwelijks onder controle of een nieuwe ontbrandt alweer in volle hevigheid. Het geheimzinnige Ebolavirus s ...more
Published 1988 by Zwarte Beertjes (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Epidemie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epidemie

Tagra
That was pretty disappointing, really. I once read some advice that said if the author's name is larger than the title of the book, you should avoid it. This book may be evidence to support that. I mean, it was published in 1988 sure, but it was basically a Nancy Drew mystery with a medical setting. With the level of writing prowess to match...

There isn't much of a synopsis I can provide that isn't covered by the book's description. There are outbreaks of Ebola, and a doctor from the CDC is inve
F.T. Moore
Since I've read most of Robin Cook's books, and rate them all a 3, one would wonder why I keep buying them, right?

I consider this an "Airplane book," that is, a good read when you're sitting in an uncomfortable seat and can't move your arms much, and need something to distract you from the world around you. A solid, fun, read, good for the beach, the deck, or a long airplane ride, when all you want is to escape to another world and another life. Something that holds your attention, and doesn't r
Angus Whittaker
This was a well written and gripping book, but I don't see it as a genre that I could really get into. Medical thriller? It's a bit too technical - a lot of medical jargon that I didn't get, although most of the concepts are explained in layman's terms - and it seems to be targeted to a small audience of doctors or other members of the medical profession who happen to like mysteries. On the other hand, Robin Cook is surprisingly adept as a writer, and his book stands alone without requiring the ...more
Marc
Have you seen the movie "Outbreak"? Well this book... is NOTHING... like it. Yes, the Ebola virus is used as a weapon. Yes, someone from the CDC is investigating. The similarity ends there.

A young CDC doctor is sent to an outbreak of what turns out to be Ebola virus in L.A. Then similar outbreaks occur in St. Louis, Phoenix, Philadelphia, and New York. She becomes convinced that someone is using the virus as a weapon. To find out who, she must deal with bureaucracy, a sexually harrassing boss, a
Pat
Meh.

Robin Cook has only one plot: he just changes the names, the settings, and the medical conditions. But really, he's just recycling the same basic story.

That said, this one did at least have some interesting points on how a massive disease outbreak might be dealt with by the medical community. It's worth a read on that basis alone, as long as you're not looking for an "involving mystery" -- because if you've ever read any of his other books, you know exactly who the "bad guy" is by the end of
R.M.
See the rest of the review here

This novel was many things. A thriller was one. I picked it because of the title alone. It so happens to be about an Ebola outbreak. Seemed like another timely novel. It was a quick read and fun. I happen to be studying epidemiology at the moment and so there were smiles on my face whenever he reference medical terminology that I actually understood. The medical jargon was fun! There was a lot to like here--and some not.

The author is a doctor in real life. I alway
Tina
This book is NOT good by any stretch of the imagination, if you're referring to quality or word choice or plausibility of the plot. However, it is an entertaining read and seeing as I knew Mr Cook's work going in, I wasn't disappointed. A fun, quick read for the holidays or if you need something mindless to distract you altogether.
Mariliis
Something for desperate housewives out there.
Cool story but so poor execution. And whats with combining something so cool as viruses, conspiracy,mucous and blood with stupid love affair? This actually was worst part, if I want to read syrupy love story then I would look it somewhere else right?
Abby Goldsmith
I was inspired by the recent ebola outbreak in the U.S. to check out this decidedly dated book. It had enough suspense to pull me through, but I anticipated all of the major plot twists well before the main characters guessed them.

The relationship stuff was fairly unconventional, enough to be interesting, and I respected Marissa as a main character. But her lucky escapes felt contrived. A lot of the action sequences seemed lifted straight from 1980s action films.

In the end, I just couldn't take
Brian
Inept only begins to describe all aspects of this book, since the author didn't take the time to properly write the book, I won't bother to write a proper review. If it was lack of talent that produced this talonless ogre called "Outbreak", I apologize and recommend a new vocation for Robin Cook.
Chris Peters
This is one of those rare, rare cases where... THE MOVIE WAS BETTER.
SPOILERS!!!!!

In the novel, a CDC doctor investigates several different Ebola outbreaks across the US. Of course, they end up all tied together and part of a huge corporate conspiracy.

The characters are very cookie-cutter, the dialog is not great, the plot is a serious stretch, and the sexism is rampant. The main character is a female doctor who nearly apologizes to her boss after he perpetrates some very obvious sexual harassmen
Natasha
I've read two or three of Robin Cook's books and they're really all the same...someone intentionally spreads a virus for some reason and one person whose working against all odds figures it out, saves the day, and gets the guy or girl.

This book was no different premise-wise, but it was at least engaging and functioned well as a vacation read.

If you've never read Robin Cook, this is as good a book as any to start with and if you love medical thrillers, then here you go. But I would imagine if yo
Richard Farnsworth
Robin Hook does a nice job of incoprating fairly solid medical event into a good story.
Chioma Uzoma
It was alright...it had a weak end though...
Look Book
This book could have been much better.
Unfortunately it has parts in the story that were just annoying - most of all where the lead character who is a epidemiologist for the CDC seems to have very little clue about how viruses actually work (seriously - she needs to have material covered in high school biology explained to her). On top of this the main clues as to the source of the outbreak (and reasons for this) are clumsily put in the first part of the book, so any idiot could work out where th
Jamie Jeffries
I've read a lot of Robin Cook. Years ago, I developed a theory that he had a computer program that wrote his books after he selected names and a disease or medical issue. They are all the same, reliably so, and I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I can count on a well-written book with a gripping, suspenseful story. On the other, I can predict the outcome, not to mention the progress of the story, within the first few pages, so there's no real mystery there for me.

A few books ago,
Angie
There are outbreaks of Ebola all over the country. The CDC sends Dr. Blumenthal to take care of it. Of course she doesn't get the support she needs from the upper echelon of the CDC because her superior wants to sleep with her. All the outbreaks seem to be connected. All the patient zeros attended the same conference and they were all mugged. No one will listen to Dr. Blumenthal. Then she goes rogue and she is hunted across the country by this shadowy medical group behind the outbreak.

The book
Terri Lynn
I have already read one book about Dr. Marissa Blumenthal and decided to go back and read the first book about her. I like Robin Cook's medical thrillers a lot and this was no exception. The subject matter- Ebola outbreaks being deliberately caused by rich doctors worried about managed care making them less rich- was so interesting.

I have to say upfront that I don't really like Dr.Marissa Blumenthal. She has all of the appeal of wet sawdust or maybe stepping in some dog plops at the doggie park.
Stewart
I read Outbreak once before in my high school years and recall thinking it was incredibly exciting and intense. As I jumped into Outbreak for a second read, my opinion of it has changed dramatically. Perhaps it is the fact that I now have a medical education, or that I am simply older and have read more books, but I found my experience of reading Outbreak dreadfully painful this time around.

My difficulty with the story is two-fold. First, the main character, Marissa Blumenthal, is so painfully
Stephen
Oh my god, the horror! I can't believe this is possible...

...that anyone, including a doctor thought it would be perfectly excusable for a high mucky muck doctor to come onto to a young female subordinate, including laying hands on her when she didn't want it (at least he apologized?). And then the young female subordinate can blame herself when her superior makes her job awkward for her because she didn't respond with sufficient tact when rejecting his unwanted advances.
Oh, and the best part, t
Randy

Murder and intrigue reach epidemic proportions when a devastating plague sweeps the country. Dr. Marissa Blumenthal of the Atlanta Centers for Disease Control investigates--and soon uncovers the medical world's deadliest secret...."Cook's most harrowing medical horror story."-- "New York Times" * A New York Times bestseller * Still timely--and terrifying--this thriller anticipated "The Hot Zone" and a number of "epidemic disease" movies * Robin Cook is the reigning king of medical suspense

Duncan M
I was expecting this book to be mediocre but oh man. The writing and dialogue is all really stiff, it reads like it was written by a robot. As far as I can tell most of the problems in the plot arose from everyone, including the protagonist, being terrible at their jobs. It was especially weird having a character who is a trained physician say that she feels dumb listening to another character talk about something I learned in grade 12 bio class.

Anyway this book is lame and you probably shouldn'
Dee
Calling this book a medical thriller is a loose label at best. Maybe a 10 year old might find it thrilling or mysterious but then again, that might be an unfair judgment of a 10 year old's intellect. After reading the first chapter, I had already determined where the book was going, how it was going to end, and who the good and bad guys were. And surprise surprise, that's exactly how it went down! Nothing to discover here except a mediocre read.
Gisele
Tras ver una entrevista que la CNN le realizo a Robin Cook sobre la reciente epidemia de Ebola me entere que él habia escrito una novela años atras sobre la fiebre hemorragica viral Ebola. Tras haber leido Estado Critico y salir con un mal sabor de boca decidi darle una oportunidad a este libro y aprender un poco mas acerca de esta enfermedad. Y lo devoré en 2 dias... Sorprendente! Algo que me encanta de las novelas de Cook y que no se puede negar es que son didacticas, como estudiante de medici ...more
Chris
A Pediatrician new to the CDC is put in charge of new outbreaks of the Ebola virus that is being caused by a secret group of right wing physicians determined to cause the failure of evil HMOs. Far fetched can't adequately describe it. I kept reading hoping that something believable or interesting would happen. Not bad enough to fast forward to the last chapter. Good for an afternoon read.
Jigar Champaneria
Is there a reason that thrillers must rely on "smart" protagonists to be absolutely clueless about so many things? It's the only way this novel extends to more than 100 pages. I'm fully able to suspend disbelief, but there are just too many lame plot points in this book. In addition, much of dialogue is so plainly explanatory that it must have been written for 6th graders.
R
I have always avoided Robin Cook simply because he was so famous. Sometimes I do that just because I avoid bandwagons until later so that the hype calms down. I may have waited a tad too long for this one because it's quite dated. Given all the medical/virus books that I read technology has not been kind to this book and an outbreak in the 1980's. It's handled well, and the female protagonist is capable- although again, too many of these women characters sleep with people way too quickly in a cr ...more
Samantha Fleming
I absolutely loved this book. This is the first book by Robin Cook that i have read, and Ill now go on to read the rest of his books. This book was not only about a medical virus but also had suspense, romance and action. I thought that It was just about a virus not about the thriller that followed it. And its funny how the Ebola is now here again in 2014.
Asuka
It's all about US health services and Ebola. I love everything about CDC, so I couldn't put the book down. But unless you are into commutable diseases like me, you'd probably dislike this book. The whole action-related plot is so unrealistic, and the main character is not at all likeable. Makes a good flight read though.
Varun Singla
Nice thriller. I wavered between giving a rating of 3.0 and 4.0 since the plot does tend to be predictable towards the end. But since (1) it is the first novel related to medicine science that I have read, (2) it's very well-written/narrated and (3) it turned out quite easy to understand, I think it deserves a 4.0
  • Silent Treatment
  • The Abyss
  • Brain Child
  • The Cobra Event
  • Harvest
  • Strong Medicine
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
  • Disclosure
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #2)
  • Alien
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...
Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)