Start by marking “The Voices of Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Voices of Heaven

The Voices of Heaven

Barry di Hoa had the good life on the Moon: steady work and the love of a good woman. But a rival slipped him a mickey, and he next awoke aboard Gerald Tscharka's ship as it neared the colony planet, Pava, eighteen light-years away. Pava was the frontier, complete with earthquakes, primitive conditions and hard physical work. The local "doctor" wouldn't treat Barry's littl ...more
Published July 15th 1995 by Tor Science Fiction (first published June 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Voices of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voices of Heaven

Punk
Jun 05, 2007 Punk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Science Fiction. Humans have colonized the inhospitable world of Pava, but they still have to worry about budget cuts back on Earth and their own lack of resources. I've said it before, I will say it again. Pohl: excellent at science fiction; bad at people. His human characters spout cliched, boring dialogue, and their motivations are shallow and have no real emotion behind them, but his talent for world-building keeps me reading. He writes technology that comes with consequences, alien lifeform ...more
Luís Baixinho
Review no segundo volume.
Elar
Jun 04, 2017 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Nice little adventure story - you get aliens, religious nuts, space travel and new world expansion.
Syacelion
A little dated by now, but still decent sci-fi fare by SFWA Grand Master Frederik Pohl. Worked well enough for me as an audiobook to listen to while doing sports, without having to invest too heavily into it.
The problems of the human colony were reasonably realistic and interesting, I liked the aliens. There were hints of details that could have been expanded on, to further develop the sentient aliens and their non-sentient relatives, their culture and their planet's ecology at large. This coul
Anthony
Nov 07, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much like any book that has to do with colonizing a new planet. The author's thinly disguised parody of religion is a bit much, but everything else is great: the story, the narrative structure of the book, the complex characters, and of course the planet itself.

Without giving away any spoilers, I do want to point out the structure of the narrative. The story is a first-person account detailing events that happened in the past. Each chapter involves a new period of time in the life of th
Brianna
Feb 28, 2011 Brianna rated it liked it
Pohl's native alien "leps" are probably one of my favourite alien races in modern scifi literature. And the colonizing of the planet Pava makes for an interesting plotline, as does the religious tendencies of the colonists. But I tend to agree with an earlier reviewer that, while Pohl does well with alien cultures and other worlds, he doesn't do as well with humans. He does well enough to make a good story, but the human characters and dialogue and motivations don't resonate enough to make an ex ...more
Marianne
Feb 06, 2013 Marianne rated it it was ok
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
A Moon-dweller hijacked and forced into becoming a pioneer on a planet plagued with earthquakes. Each chapter starts as a dialog between an alien and pioneer.

The book has some interesting situations and the story is okay, but I feel like it's ultimately a bit shallow and some aspects aren't as explored very satisfactorily, particularly given the length and compared to some of the other scifi out there.
Ramoths Own
Jan 30, 2016 Ramoths Own rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it was really pure science fiction that was easy to read and very fascinating. I like stories that are set off earth and this one starts out on the moon. I liked the description of life there.

The story continues on another planet where he has many things to come to terms with and where we are introduced to a different life form. I have always liked Frederick Pohl and can honestly say that I have never been disappointed by any thing that he has written.
Steven
Rather disappointing, as there's little of the verve I was expecting -- this reminded me somewhat of Arthur C. Clarke's later books, in that it's pretty much a travelogue of a future setting, with an occasional reference to an actual story. Written well, but ultimately rather boring and unmemorable.
George Ouwendijk
Apr 12, 2014 George Ouwendijk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best work perhaps, but still an interesting story. The religion angle made it very compelling for me, plus the moral issues it raises. I found it to be very relevant to the claims made by many religious believers today about "absolute truth" and their attempts to take over the political realm.
Dustin
Dec 18, 2012 Dustin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but nothing groundbreaking.
Adam
Dec 07, 2014 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Competent space opera, spiced up with a bit of "Body Ritual Among the Nacirema"-style ethnography.
David
Aug 09, 2011 David added it
Interesting
Carlton
Oct 19, 2013 Carlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Frederik Pohl, you will like this. Who wouldn't want to have a Lep as a friend?
Jason
Feb 25, 2011 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Jonestown-ish religious fanatics on a colony planet 25 light years from Earth, with talking caterpillars for company. Not one of Pohl's best, but an entertaining read.
Katie Hill
Found it a bit slow to begin with and missing some meat in places but overall a decent interplanetary novel about setting up human life on other planets.
Andrader
Andrader rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Songsmythe
Songsmythe rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Geoff Lloyd
Geoff Lloyd rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Patrick Elliott
Patrick Elliott rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Kevin Thomas
Kevin Thomas rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2009
Marshalll Vance
Marshalll Vance rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Ned Stenger White
Ned Stenger White rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2013
tyrus568
tyrus568 rated it liked it
May 30, 2008
Christopher Conlon
Christopher Conlon rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Nate A
Nate A rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2017
Austin Ross
Austin Ross rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2011
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Harvest of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #1)
  • Players at the Game of People
  • All the Traps of Earth
  • Earthworks
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • The Alternate Asimovs
  • Meditation Made Easy
  • The Spheres of Heaven
  • The Star Trek Reader II
  • Monument
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...