Start by marking “Quilter's Complete Guide” as Want to Read:
Quilter's Complete Guide

Quilter's Complete Guide

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Provides information and detailed instructions for beginning and advanced quilters on the techniques of quilting and on the details of making a variety of popular patchwork and quilting patterns.
Published February 1st 2001 by Oxmoor House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Quilter's Complete Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quilter's Complete Guide

Nonnie
I think more quilters have learned how to quilt from this book then any other basic quilting book written. It starts the very basic techniques (hand piecing) and then works to more modern techniques. First released 1993 and revised in 2000. From what I could tell from comparing an older, first release book there were not many changes or revisions. Some of the techniques are dated and there are newer methods to use when you make your patches and blocks. I think it is important to know all the met ...more
Kathryn
This is my quilter's bible AND my very first quilt book. I met Marianne and Liz and had them sign my copy.
Korri
Yesterday I was helping my mother keep a New Year's resolution (clean up crafting area) when we came across a page ripped out of a magazine. It was about how to make a friendship quilt from scraps. My mom told me to put it in the paper recycling bin but I looked at the photo and the simple instructions on the opposite side. Though I haven't sewn anything since a plush toy elephant in 5th grade home economics, I said, 'I could do this. We have so many scraps of fabric and fat quarters around the ...more
Diana
This is one of the best I've seen to learn how to make traditional pieced or appliqued quilts. Fons and Porter cover tools and supplies, basic piecing methods, drafting blocks, using a rotary cutter, settings and borders, and both hand and machine quilting. Their directions are clear and easy to follow, and there are abundant pictures to illustrate the techniques they present. All along the way there are small projects for the reader to complete to practice each new skill.

My copy is falling apar
Sue
Quilting has two meanings - (1) the entire process of putting together a quilt, including making the blocks, and (2) sewing a variety of patterns or designs through the layers of the quilt to hold the front, back, and the batting together.

This book covers all the basics for the first definition of quilting, and it's the one basic quilting reference I turn to again and again.
Katie
The Quilter's Complete Guide was a gift from my Mother and my first quilting book. I absolutely love it. When I first received it, I was obsessed with it and read it over and over again throughout each of my beginning quilting projects. I definitely recommend it for beginning quilters!
Suzanne
There is lots of good information for new and experienced quilters. However the one thing I don't like about the book is that instead of just being about making blocks with all the technique there are a lot of wall hanging projects for practicing the techniques.
Kate
This is another must have quilting book from two of the most dedicated quilters around. It shows the basics and gets you started on some very common quilt blocks.
Phyllis
one of the best how-to-quilt books.
Catherine Woodman
just ok--get another one
Cws
Feb 14, 2008 Cws added it
746.46
Chris Tweedie
Chris Tweedie marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Annette Israel
Annette Israel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jan 02, 2015
Rose-Ellen
Rose-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Scott N
Scott N marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fons & Porter Presents Quilts From The Henry Ford: 24 Vintage Quilts Celebrating American Quiltmaking Fat Quarter Friendly Best of Fons & Porter: Tabletop Quilts Best of Fons & Porter: Baby and Kids Quilts The Best of Fons & Porter: Scrap Quilts (Leisure Arts #5297)