Start by marking “Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)” as Want to Read:
Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)

Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  904 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Imagine life in an ironically magical world where 144,000 doors separate fiction from reality. A place that can hypnotize even the most grounded philosophy major and deliver a fantastical rhyme to his reason. A place where a best buddy resembles a shaggy carpet, and adventures surpass a boy's dreams? welcome to Castle Perilous.
Published December 1st 1999 by eReads.com (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Castle Perilous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle Perilous

It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
This House Just Ain't No Home
13th out of 108 books — 31 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Fantasy Books Set in Two Worlds
136th out of 557 books — 604 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Jim
This was a fun, pretty typical fantasy. I read a later book years ago & always wanted to find the rest of the series, but never got around to it. It was tough putting together series back before the Internet & easy inter-library loans. This was a casualty of that barbarous period.

The writing was pretty tight, the world interesting, & the magic was pretty typical. Good characters on both sides & plenty of tension. Glad I finally got around to it.
annik
Как известно, самые потрясные книги приходят к нам по воле случая. Вот так мне попался ДДЧ со своим Замком *_*

Замок, который называют Опасным. Попасть в него можно через порталы, коих 144 000 (причем цифра не с потолка). Просто заблудившись на подземной стоянке, упав в расщелину, шагнув в проем, появившийся на месте стенки... Ага)

Огромный замок, созданный при помощи магии, его своеобразная геометрия (Эшер плачет), неиследованные миры, стабильные и не очень порталы, Гости из разных миров и как
Ensiform
Gene, an unemployed philosophy major, finds himself magically transported to a wondrous castle that’s home to 144,000 portals to as many worlds and realms. It’s run by a genial wizard who welcomes all who come as Guests; even better, everyone who lives there develops a magical talent. But terrible forces besiege the castle and threaten to destroy it forever.

This is fun, light fantasy; the premise is a wonderful idea and an enormous wellspring for infinite flights of the imagination (many worlds
John Eubank
I remember seeing this book on a friend's shelf many years ago, and the original paper book's cover really caught my eye - people playing golf in front of a huge castle with a T-Rex on the prowl. "Castle Perilous" was written in the height of a whimsical or humorous fantasy period and is a whole lot of fun to read. If you're expecting a Ring of Power type story or a Game o' Whatever - well, curb that expectation (already) and prepare for a different approach to fantasy. What goes on in Castle Pe ...more
Mary Catelli
The first book in a madcap, frothy light series.

At the center of it is Castle Perilous, the castle with 144,000 aspects -- which form portals to other worlds, some stable and some not. Gene and Linda stumble in from our world, and the great ursine Snowclaw from another. Meanwhile the castle is besieged by an army and a sorceress in its own world. Various Guests stumble over learning the Castle's ways and discovering whatever magical power it endows them with -- everyone gets one, from fighting a
Luvs2read
Read this book years and years ago when it first came out (1988). Found it in a box when I was cleaning out closets, remembered enjoying it, and decided to re-read. Still enjoyed it very much. It's a classic fantasy--sword battles, mysterious castle, sorcerers, doors to our world (and many other worlds), demons, lost scrolls, humans who are weak in our world but become heroes in the fantasy one, and lots and lots of magic. And Snowclaw, my favorite furry character. It has all the fantasy tropes, ...more
Kallierose
This series was a great "guilty pleasure" when I was younger. Would I enjoy them as much now, as an adult? Maybe not. But at the time they were a lot of fun. I loved the idea of a magic castle filled with doors that opened onto an almost unlimited number of worlds.
Juli
So far, it's fun, just REALLY random
Fantasy Literature
Castle Perilous is a giant castle with 144,000 rooms that are portals to other worlds. These portals are constantly shifting in and out of other dimensions and occasionally they temporarily open up somewhere on Earth. At those times people may stumble into the castle and not be able to get back out. They become one of the permanent “guests” who have great food, luxurious accommodations, and servants to wait on them. Best of all, they get to explore some of the stable portals leading to exotic pl ...more
Betty
A giant castle having portals to all dimensions and guests from all realities who gain magical abilities with residence. Confused heros questing to find a way home who are destined to be together. An odd little novel that draws you in quickly. I only wish some aspects had been covered more deeply and/or the story continued.
Bill
This would be a decent book to read on public transportation while thinking of something else if any of the book's plot, character development, or jokes had been better developed. Boys in middle school might like it (and there's nothing inside that most parents should be too concerned about--barely a PG), but anyone else should beware.

There is no character development to speak of, although the dialogue each character speaks is somewhat distinguishable from that of the other characters. The plot
Matt Kelly
Nice, lightweight humorous fantasy series that I read back in the 90s. Amusing, but not as good as the Discworld series in the same genre.
Eric
A fun fantasy set in a colossal magical castle rife with portals to other worlds. Mystery and chaos ensue.
Howard Brazee
I had this book before I retired and enjoyed it enough to buy it again now that I only have one room full of bookcases in my retirement apartment. Enjoyable light SF.
Amy
A favorite book from my youth, recently found and devoured.
Jan Bednarczuk
This is one of those books that has an interesting premise, but then does nothing with it. The premise and setting were really good, but the plot and characterization frankly sucked. None of the characters made any sense. One was evil and scheming for no real apparent reason. Two hooked up and became romantic partners, again for no real apparent reason. It was just all silly and pointless, and the only thing that kept me reading to the end was, again, the interesting premise/setting. Too bad the ...more
Steven
Mostly harmless....
David
I'd have to echo the review that mentions poor character development. These are fairly flat characters. You have to read the entire series before get to know them. However, this isn't anything close to fine literature. It could easily be a cartoon or a TV show. That said, it was fun to read. Fluff fantasy, but still quite readable. Three stars for the setting.
Jackie
A castle with magical world where 144,000 doors separate fiction from reality and move anytime they wish. Unique characters, from anywhere and anywhen converge in Castle Perilous.
An interesting and fun read. One of the rare occasions when each novel in the series gets better. Light reading, often humorous.
Amy
My mother found this book at a garage sale and passed it along to me. It is a really easy read. I agree with my mother that after reading it, I wanted to read it again to try and catch the things I missed the first time.
I would recommend this as good goofy fun.
Arthur Gibson
I thought this was a great idea. Almost infinite possibilities. Believable core group of characters. A fun read. Conflict, emotions, problems to solve, heroes, villains, and an all around good time. Nice setup for the series.
Mahjabeen
I found this book and decided to read it. It was a quick, easy, and fast read. Not very well written, but kept me interested. Lots of suspense that really leads to nothing. Weak development of the plot.
Tara
I Read the Castle series in the 1990's and loved them. They're short, hilarious and really entertaining if you are a fan of fantasy.I'm re reading the series and enjoying them again on my ereader.
brian dean
Acceptable but bland. I got the book at a used book store and might continue reading the series if the prices for books 2,3 ... were similar but only if I had no other book at the time.
Kimi
I came across this book randomly and I'm glad I took the time to read it. It's a humorous fantasy story that's fast, easy to read and full of adventure.
Daniel
Read this ages ago and remember really liking it. Might have to see if I can find an ebook copy somewhere and read it again.
Maggie
This was pretty good. It's kind of silly and was an entertaining read when I didn't want anything too serious.
Sara
I read all the Castle Books as they came out. I seem to remember loving them...
John
A fun little romp. Nothing serious but a quick enjoyable read.
  • A Malady Of Magicks (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #1)
  • The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • The Clocks of Iraz (The Reluctant King, #2)
  • Born to Exile
From his website:
John DeChancie is the author of over two dozen books, fiction and nonfiction, and has written for periodicals as widely varied as Penthouse and Cult Movies. His novels in the science fiction and fantasy genres have been attracting a wide readership for more than fifteen years, and over a million copies of his books have seen print, many in foreign languages.

John's first work was
More about John DeChancie...

Castle Perilous (8 books)
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Castle Kidnapped (Castle Perilous, #3)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Castle Murders (Castle Perilous, #5)
  • Castle Dreams (Castle Perilous, #6)
  • Castle Spellbound (Castle Perilous, #7)
  • Bride of the Castle (Castle Perilous, #8)
Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2) Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4) Castle Kidnapped (Castle Perilous, #3) Castle Dreams (Castle Perilous, #6) Castle Murders (Castle Perilous, #5)