Start by marking “Holy Bible: New Student Bible: New Revised Standard Version” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: New Student Bible: New Revised Standard Version

Holy Bible: New Student Bible: New Revised Standard Version (Cambridge Companions to Literature)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The New Revised Standard Version is the "standard" translation used by mainline Protestant churches, Orthodox churches, and by many Catholics. The NRSV debuted in 1989 and is owned by the National Council of Churches, which is the leading force for ecumenical cooperation among Christians in the United States representing thirty-five denominations with forty-five million me ...more
Published March 4th 1994 by HarperCollins Canada / Zondervan Bibl (first published December 31st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Ken
I mean it's the bible. Sooo not giving it a bad review.
Benjamin Vineyard
Initial question:
Will the notes and guided prayer in this book help me pause and dwell with the Lord through the text? Through my day?

---

Answer: a resounding Yes.

The NRSV Daily Bible is a read-the-Bible-in-a-year devotional Bible that helps the reader pause and dwell on what they've just read - which helps bridge the gap between reading out of a sense of devotion and reading to engage the life of prayer. The goal of the Bible is to train the reader in the wonderful, simple practice of lectio d
Meryld
Always wanted to read the Holy Bible cover to cover, and now I will over the next 34 weeks through Disciple sessions beginning Sep 2010. My good friend asked today, "What's 34 weeks of your time on earth if eternity in Heaven is your reward?" Nodded my head and replied, "That's kind of how I see it." Don't want this left on my bucket list. ;~)

New entry - Well finished the Disciple class in May, and read the Bible essentially cover to cover (not every verse of course). However I still need to rea
K.MOHAN  RAO
Aug 21, 2007 K.MOHAN RAO rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
... It gives new life to a human being and teaches why i am in this world. And if so, what is the cause.
HOLY BIBLE gives every solution for any puzzles in life.
Gives numerous solutions in what manner should i behave in this world ,whether i am alone or not it doesn't matter ,
And opposes the formality of short span of life.

And tells , everything demolishes even the world before JOY, TRUTH AND LOVE which comes by HOPE.

Bcz, human is superior of any other species thats why it matters a lot what w
Caroline
On the invention of detail -- did it happen in the novel or here?

"My heart is indeed like wine
that has no vent;
like new wineskins, it is ready to burst,
I must speak, so that I may find relief;
I must open my lips and answer." (Job, 32:19)

"I am poured out like water
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast,
my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
you lay in me like a dust of death." (Psalm 22)

Also, to be clear, I read this for
Lauren
Hard to rate this book, given that there are several camps in terms of the perspective for approaching this book. Personally, I was reading this book as literature, to get some background on literary references and themes I see constantly when reading fiction in general.

I don't really have the tools to gauge the quality of this particular edition of the Bible, but it was recommended on a reading list for literature perspective. I didn't spot any inaccuracies, and the footnotes were supremely he
Daniel Wright
I don't review the Bible: the Bible reviews me.

On the other hand, I may review a particular edition of it. I mainly picked up this one because I was looking for an edition of the apocrypha and this was the one I found, and in any case I was interested in trying the NRSV, as it was recommended by my church and my university's theology department.

The typography of the edition that I have is certainly the most aesthetically pleasing of any Bible I have - I do wish more publishers would pay attentio
HarperOne (an imprint of HarperCollins)
For the first time ever, the beloved NRSV Bible text is divided into 365 readings with prayers and meditations for each day of the year. Readings are not dated like in other one-year Bibles, nor have they been rearranged to fit a particular reading plan, so not only can this daily reading Bible be started at any time of year, but it will help readers follow the biblical narrative in order as they read the Scripture from start to finish. Each reading in The Daily Contemplative Bible only takes 10 ...more
Patrick
I haven't read the whole bible yet. I mainly enjoy the New Testament and Psalms/Proverbs. I could never hope to read it in a year. Sometimes I may chew on one verse for a week. It is so rich. I wish I had a love of the scriptures above all things, but I am easily distracted. So I walk away from them for awhile and then come back after a while and am enthralled for a week... then I wander off and then come back. Its kind of the same with prayer. I once asked a buddy if he had trouble with his min ...more
Betsy Boo
Aug 26, 2009 Betsy Boo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Ok...so I decided to read the Bible because I had never read it all the way through and I realized that I wanted to be able to comment when people use Bible passages for their own purposes. I had read the NT a bunch of times but only read a little of the OT. Well, I have to say it is kind of freaking me out. There are a lot of drawbacks to reading something that was translated from another language, especially a dead language and I can't help but think that maybe someone got some of it wrong. In ...more
Jeff
Great translation on the literal/formal equivalent end. I think it's more carefully translated than the ESV, even though I like the use of words like propitiation in the ESV.
James
Reading the Bible with the Apocrypha is an incredible experience after having read the abridged, shortened, condensed versions (66 books). Coming from the understanding that both the eastern and western churches have considered the Apocrypha canonical from the commissioning of the Church, and finding that it was removed only by the Protestant church in the early 19th century, I am moved to read it as if it was the very Word of God.

These views concerning the Apocrypha have left me feeling robbed
Gloria
I have nowhere near completed reading this Bible, but I do want to recommend the format. The bulk of it is a standard Bible, but what makes this special is the insertion on each page of the lectio divina method of understanding and personalizing the passages. Lectio Divina has four steps: read, reflect, prayer, and contemplate action. This is an intentionally slow way to read scripture. In this book, the lectio divina is included as an inset with prompts for each of the four steps.
Jeannie Walker
Isn't it wonderful that we can buy a Bible in such an easy way without living the comfort of our easy chair. This one is easy to read and would be great for children. The first book I ever read and studied as a child was a Holy Bible. What better way to learn how to live our lives!

Jeannie Walker Award Winning Author
I Saw the Light
Tracy
This edition is from 1989 that I had for a class. It is (at the time of writing) the most true to the actual Hebrew and Greek texts. It gets repetitive in places, but it is very good. There are some interesting takes by people about what is in the Bible, but it is more interesting to see what is actually in there. I am still in the Old Testament (1 Samuel). It will take me awhile to finish it.
Jack
when i do pick up the scriptures, I prefer the NRSV, widely recognized as the most accurate translation of the original Greek/Hebrew texts than other translastions. The NIV is probably a good second, but has been 'modernized' to the point that one is unsure what is translation verses interpetation. This paricular version of the book is easy to carry in a backpack or take wherevver you go.
Atchisson
I read this last year front to back beginning of January 1 and ending on New Year's Eve just an hour or so before Midnight. It was a great gift from some folks many years ago. This year, I am reading the Bible (a different version) chronologically. This version was very readable, but my current version contains a greta deal of background and apologetic information.
Jenny
Oct 07, 2008 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The footnotes and maps in this version are extremely helpful. Many of the more vague and ambiguous passages are clarified in the footnotes and various interpretations of the meanings of the stories are presented in introductions before each book. This is a great study bible for those wishing to read the Bible to be knowledgeable, even if they choose not to be religious.
Ellen
My personal goal in 2010 was to read the Bible cover-to-cover. Some chapters were intriguing, others I toiled to get through. With the accompaniment of Slate.com's Blogging the Bible series, it was a read that I'm glad I finished. If only to have a better foundation for Judaism and Christianity.
Jason Vanzin
This version was great for me as it had very good commentary on different parts of the New Testament including parts of which I was struggling. After years and years of saying I want to read the bible, I was finally able to do it with this version. Next stop is the Old Testament from the same series.
Johnathan
Sep 30, 2008 Johnathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Johnathan by: My Pastor
The Bible, by God, is the best book ever! Not only that, but it's completly true!

A Must-Read For Everybody!
(Of course a different version is okay too)

I would rate it a 1,000,000,000,000,000 out of 5!
Charlie Koo
One problem I found in the subtitle of Job 5. "God corrects Jacob." The extended monologue is not interrupted by God as this subtitle would suggest. It is Eliphaz, speaking all the way through.
Andy
This is the Lutheran standard nowadays. Its translations are more accurate overall compared to the KJV I believe, but it tends to soften the translation up a bit. For pastoral reasons perhaps?
Jeff
yep, every last page, so i could garner any wisdom i could from it, to meditate on the teachings of my childhood faith, and so i could say i read it all at least once in my life.
Pam
I actually have only read the apocrypha from this bible, but I liked the Maccabee story a lot, plus I wrote a kick-butt essay on it....so good memeories :)
Megan
What is there to say? It speaks for itself.

(I'm not trying to alienate anyone who is not Christian, simply providing my feelings about the Bible.)
Kim
This is a "readable" version of the King James bible. English is still beautiful while also more understandable because of updated language.
Thomas Blake
Read the Maccabees and find out the context of why Jesus and his disciples observed Hannakuh as seen in John 10.
Maira
Apr 17, 2011 Maira is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Starting with the New Testament this time around. I didn't know Matthew was a tax-collector
Lily
Excellent edition of the Bible in English. In paperback, easy to carry and use.
  • The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
  • The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha
  • Jesus in Blue Jeans: A Practical Guide to Everyday Spirituality
  • Halley's Bible Handbook
  • A Better Way to Pray
  • The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine
  • Saint Paul
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Lord
  • God Is in the Small Stuff... And It All Matters
  • A Book of Hours
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

Cambridge Companions to Literature (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Science Fiction
  • The Cambridge Companion to Literature on Screen
  • The Cambridge Companion to Fantasy Literature
  • The Cambridge Companion to Kafka (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Herman Melville (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Mary Shelley (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Literature and the Environment
  • The Cambridge Companion to Tom Stoppard (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Shelley (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Utopian Literature
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita