Start by marking “A Long Way from Tipperary” as Want to Read:
A Long Way from Tipperary

A Long Way from Tipperary

A Long Way from Tipperary: What a Former Monk Discovered in His Search for the Truth
Published May 30th 2000 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way from Tipperary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Way from Tipperary

Night by Elie WieselAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtRunning with Scissors by Augusten BurroughsDry by Augusten BurroughsMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Memoirs by Men
162nd out of 769 books — 488 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Books of 2000
259th out of 329 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Jun 10, 2010 Matt rated it it was amazing
There are speculations which are controversial in Crossan's reconstruction of the Historical Jesus. One cannot however say anything negative about the man.

This book is not simply a collection of Crossan's memoirs, but a portrait of how he developed his faith and how that faith interacts with his research on the historical Jesus.

The narrative follows Crossan's boyhood, through his years in Servites as a monk and priest, then through his decision to leave the order in order to Marry and because h
James
Jul 02, 2012 James rated it really liked it
I've read quite a bit of Crossan and have heard him speak, and so it was a treat to read his story. He acknowledges the critique that his view of the historical Jesus as a Mediterranean peasant in a subjugated land is informed by his childhood in Ireland, but goes no further. He shares painful moments in his life including the death of his first wife, and his decision to leave the priesthood. He keeps a difficult balance in loving the Catholic church and criticizing its hierarchy.

He uses his ow
Marie
Jun 26, 2015 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was my first Crossan book, which may not be the best way to go about it. I was very intrigued by some of his theology, and the anecdotes about growing up as an Irish altar boy were interesting and amusing. His stated purpose was to look at how his own life experiences may have influenced his construction of the historical Jesus, and I never quite saw that connection realized. Rather, he seemed to switch back and forth between the two. I suppose that's not a bad format for the memoir of a ...more
CD
Crossan has lately (early March 2011) made the press and I thought it time to start adding several of his works that I've read in the not too distant past. I'll review/comment on this and two others in the near future. He is one of several modern theologians that I've read whose modern views, and thus not always popular among the establishment, are refreshing and that embrace the modern world and true scholarship.

Roger
Oct 10, 2014 Roger rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure, at first, what I would think of this book. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I still don't agree with all of his theology or history, Crossan made some very poignant and timely points.
Marian Allen
Jun 13, 2011 Marian Allen rated it liked it
Crossan does a good job of sharing his autobiography, the growth of his scholarship and the path of his faith journey.
Richard
May 10, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
This spiritual autobiography gave me a great deal of insight into the heart, spirit and character of one of my favorite Christian thinkers.
Susan
Jan 20, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. Crossan is quietly witty and though provoking. The book was a well-executed blend of autobiography and religious thought. I admire his work.
Paul
Jul 27, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A great autobiography. Such an extraordinary life. I greatly admire Crossan and think he is a pretty cool guy.
David Ruth
David Ruth rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Alane
Alane rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Jeremy A
Jeremy A rated it liked it
May 17, 2010
Martha Ellen Smith
Martha Ellen Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Clay
Clay rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Cecilia McDermott
Cecilia McDermott rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Rev. Haberer
Rev. Haberer rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Ancient
Ancient rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2007
Michael Mulberry
Michael Mulberry rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2009
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
Brad Laycock
Brad Laycock rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Robert D. Cornwall
Robert D. Cornwall rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Jim Lee
Jim Lee rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
John Dominic Crossan is generally regarded as the leading historical Jesus scholar in the world. He is the author of several bestselling books, including The Historical Jesus, Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography, The Birth of Christianity, and Who Killed Jesus? He lives in Clermont, Florida.

John Dominic Crossan was born in Nenagh County in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1934. He was educated in Ireland and
More about John Dominic Crossan...