Start by marking “The Best Democracy Money Can Buy” as Want to Read:
The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,043 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
"Palast is astonishing, he gets the real evidence no one else has the guts to dig up." Vincent Bugliosi, author of None Dare Call it Treason and Helter Skelter

Award-winning investigative journalist Greg Palast digs deep to unearth the ugly facts that few reporters working anywhere in the world today have the courage or ability to cover. From East Timor to Waco, he has expo
Published April 27th 2004 by Plume (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

Cwn_annwn_13
Jan 26, 2011 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it really liked it
Among other things you get great stuff from Palast as he exposes the election fraud during the 2000 Presidential election that ultimately decided the outcome of the race, the attached strings that come with IMF "bailouts", Pat Robertsons hypocritical money making scams, the CIA/Kissinger/Corporate engineered coup in Chile, Wal-Mart using Chinese prison slave labor while at the same time promoting themselves as a squeaky clean all American entity, the Exxon Valdez oil spill and clean up, the horr ...more
Patrick McCoy
Sep 25, 2011 Patrick McCoy rated it really liked it
The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast is a fascinating, eye-opening and disturbing collection of investigative journalism. Greg Palast is an investigative journalist, who is currently working for the BBC and The Guardian. He formerly worked fighting corporations with Labor Unions and consumer groups. He brings his investigative experience from these organizations to uncover greed, avarice, and injustice the world over. He is probably most well know for uncovering the voting shenanigans ...more
Aaron
Dec 30, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
This was incredibly hard to find, in fact I had to special order it which I sure put me on a government list somewhere... well, okay, I sure it secured my position on that list.
Nuzhat
Sep 25, 2011 Nuzhat rated it really liked it
It took me longer to read this book because I could only take a little bit of the ugliness reported at a time. While most of the stories are from the early 2000, I think they're still relevant for everyone to know. This was also written before the supreme court made it okay for corporations to legally contribute to campaigns. I'll definitely have to check out his new book Vulture's Picnic which I think came out last week which features Liberia. He acknowledges in the last chapter that others hav ...more
Tariq Mahmood
Jun 07, 2015 Tariq Mahmood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
This is a tough emotionally challenging book which dueled with all of my established and secure blocks my world stands on.

Democracy is the best system of governance.......
Corporations are successful due to all their collective hard work and customer focus.....
Western governments are not corrupt.........
Big Media always tells us the unedited truth......
Standing for ones right against authority is bad.........

I think the world need more Palasts to help us deal with our learned helplessness.

Sara Al-Fartousi
الكتاب بشكل عام يفضح السياسة الداخلية للولايات المتحدة الأمريكية وتزويرها للانتخابات وقضايا متعلقة باقتصاد البلد ..وهو موجه للشعب الأمريكي
فيما يخص السياسة الخارجية فكلامه حول سياسات العولمة وصندوق النقد الدولي والضغط على الدول النامية بالابتزاز المالي وإعطاء القروض مقابل شروط اقتصادية مقيتة ..كلام مهم ينبغي علينا قراءته والبحث فيه ..إضافة إلى التآمر على الرئيس الفنزويلي المناهض للعولمة للإطاحة بهةبسبب رفضه للشروط المفروضة من قبل سياسة الهيمنة الأمريكية.

على كل الدول أن تنتفض بوجه حكامها الذين يوا
JF William
Jun 29, 2008 JF William rated it it was amazing
Step one to really understand WTF is happening to America !

The end of democracy, cronies parade & general mayhem all wraped up in one awfull mess of ignorance and greed.

“Even a banana Republican would be distressed to discover how much of our nation’s treasury has been siphoned off by our vice president in the interest of his Cosa Nostra company, Halliburton, the lawless gang of mercenaries set loose by his administration in the Middle East. I have known for a long time that the media of the
Deby Depreta
Oct 31, 2012 Deby Depreta rated it really liked it
This book could have been written and edited much better than it was. I also wish the documentation would have been much more extensive. I guess my biggest gripe is that Palast overstates his bias; by presenting the factual data without the hand-wringing, his thesis would have been much stronger. Overall, though, the book is very much an eye-opener and lends credence to the broad accusations leveled at many public figures.
Drew Pyke
Jan 23, 2013 Drew Pyke rated it really liked it
Palast is/was pretty big in the UK doing features for the Guardian and BBC during the New Labour project. This book focuses on the US election rigging of 2000 and 2004 and domestic issues (like Waco and the artificial blackouts) as well as international topics such as the conditioning of loans by the "unholy trinity" of the IMF, WTO and World Bank. Well written, although the topics and themes might come across as endemic of its time
Evan Grady
Jun 04, 2014 Evan Grady rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I always like to talk about the flaws in the system of government and how the rich get away with things and how injustice runs rampant in Washington. I like how the author gives all the details about what went down and how people work around the law to make a bunch of money illegally. These are our wonderful politicians at work.
John Edvin
Jul 09, 2013 John Edvin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It's been awhile since I read this, and if I read this nowadays I might not be so generous with the stars - but this book truly opened my eyes to, first of all how Cheney stole the 2000 election, and also Exxon's crimes against Alaskan natives.
Investigative journalist Palast writes about the most odious conspiracies, with a sort of irony and wit you just gotta love!
Aron
May 05, 2014 Aron rated it liked it
Shelves: economics, politics
A solid collection of the products of Palast's career in investigative journalism. Eye-opening, sobering, frustrating, depressing - all adjectives that come to mind when trying to summarize this book. I especially appreciated the chapter focusing on globalization, the IMF, the World Bank, and the WTO.
Joe Walp
Nov 10, 2009 Joe Walp rated it liked it
Palast takes seriously the investigative role of the (recently anemic) fourth estate. As a longtime reader of The Economist, I found the tales of corporate malfeasance and global finance raiding to be most useful, as counterexamples and caveates to that paper's (mostly laudible) market liberalization cheerleading.
James Hatton
Nov 29, 2014 James Hatton rated it really liked it
What happened in the 2000 U.S. presidential election? How is it that the election even got so close that we ended up counting "hanging chads"? After the attempts by some to restrict voter access to the polls in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, it's worth looking back to the 2000 presidential election and reviewing what happened then. Read this book and judge for yourself.
Ron
Apr 19, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
This is another winner from Palast, even if most of the information was old news to me. It seems that I should have known more about him 10 years ago, but I fear that his work was deeply suppressed at that time.
Wendy White
Dec 16, 2011 Wendy White rated it really liked it
Required reading for those looking to make a positive difference in the world, and those who have yet to learn just how much big business has taken the place of democratic governance. Top notch investigative journalism with soul.
Dele Cooke
Apr 16, 2013 Dele Cooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up in my favourite second hand shop - one of the best finds this year. Greg is an outstanding investigative journalist - our Press was much better up to the 70s with men the calibre of Greg. Read this book and start a campaign to free our Press.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2011 Wendy added it
He trashes the right, he trashes the liberals -- and all with a sense of humor and documented facts. Eye opening, depressing and funny.

Because what you think you know you realize is either just the tip of the iceberg, or just plain wrong.
Lauren
Dec 31, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm sure I'm on some government watch list because I bought it and am now recommending it to others, but Greg Palast is an amazing journalist. He lays out the truth about much of what goes on in government and big business. It is a very eye-opening read. (He's funny, too.)
أبو محمد
Sep 05, 2012 أبو محمد rated it really liked it
برغم الاستغراق في التفاصيل - المقنعة - أحياناً بصورة مبالغ فيها .. فان الكتاب يحوي كم هائل من المعلومات عن أكذوبة الانتخابات الديمقراطية الأمريكية وأكاذيب الاقتصاد العالمي وعشرات الأفكار الأخرى .. كتاب هام جداً ..
David
Dec 06, 2012 David rated it liked it
"worth the read". worth the read..another great work from Greg mocking our USA democracy system (corporatocracy)..the filth at the capitol hill, the lobbyists..the whole nine yards..
Leah
Sep 30, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
Easy to read declaration of how a president fraudulently took office at the turn of a century. A must read for anyone who cares about democracy and the process of voting.
Steven
Nov 28, 2011 Steven rated it really liked it
the system is broke.
Problem is even if we woke up and decided to do something tomorrow what would we do?
Is it to late?
Beverly
Oct 19, 2012 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Beverly by: Moyers & Co or
A very important book to read to know more about how government and lobbyists work together. It's pretty awful but something we should and protect ourselves as a society.
Jill
Jul 05, 2012 Jill rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. The guy reading it sounded like a mean spy. It was hard to read without being super objective because he thinks everyone is against him. Maybe they are, IDK.
David
Apr 30, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Mostly stuff you have heard before, but in excruciating detail. Writer has worked for BBC, London Journal, others.
C. Scott
Mar 18, 2013 C. Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great - it was especially instructive see the story of energy deregulation and how the IMF operates laid out so clearly. Devastating and depressing - but totally worth a look.
Matt
Mar 04, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
I do love his style, one of the best journalists out there.
Reid
Nov 08, 2011 Reid rated it liked it
Worth reading, just lacking a little gravity of tone.
Kate
Dec 07, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Horrifying. Almost made we want to move to Canada.
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Supreme Injustice
  • Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush
  • Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century (Updated and Expanded)
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties
  • Into The Buzzsaw: LEADING JOURNALISTS EXPOSE THE MYTH OF A FREE PRESS
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right
Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Billionaires and Ballot Bandits, Armed Madhouse and The Best Democracy Money Can Buy and the highly acclaimed Vultures' Picnic, named Book of the Year on BBC Newsnight Review.

Palast turned his skills to journalism after two decades as a top investigator of corporate fraud. Palast directed the U.S. government’s largest racketeering case in
More about Greg Palast...