Start by marking “Dream Makers, Dream Breakers: The World of Justice Thurgood Marshall” as Want to Read:
Dream Makers, Dream Breakers: The World of Justice Thurgood Marshall

Dream Makers, Dream Breakers: The World of Justice Thurgood Marshall

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"We can run from each other, but we cannot escape each other. Knock down the fences that divide. Tear apart the walls that imprison. Reach out: freedom lies just on the other side." Those are the vibrant words of Thurgood Marshall - legendary civil rights lawyer, solicitor general of the United States, the first black justice of the United States Supreme Court. And here, a ...more
Published January 10th 1994 by Back Bay Books (first published January 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Makers, Dream Breakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Makers, Dream Breakers

Brian
The thing that struck me most about this book was Rowan's writing style. He is an unashamed liberal. He believes in equality, the continuing relevance of race, freedom of speech, etc. and is not afraid to defend them through his analysis of Marshall's life. We have reached the point where the pendulum has swung so far that anyone who writes like Rowan is labeled an extremist, a socialist, or a "liberal" (with all its negative connotations). Also, Marshall's life story and the success he enjoyed ...more
Mary JL
Jul 19, 2010 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of history, biography, politics or law
Recommended to Mary JL by: Loaned from a friend
When I was a teen, listening to Martin Luther King, I ignorantly thought the civil rights movement was "just starting", though I WAS vaguely aware of the 1954 Brown Vs. Topeka school de-segregation case.

Did I learn a lot from this book!! Thurgood Marshall, born in 1908 was an early and tireless member of the NAACP since its earliest days. I read with fascination of many cases in the 1930's and 1940's which set the stage for the continuance of the civil rights movement of the 1960's.

I discovered
Brian
Jarome
A huge introduction to a man who really changed the world. This should be required reading (and I think it is at some universities) for lawyers and historians alike. An incredible teaching tool. I met the author in Chicago and thanked him for giving us such a massive tool that can teach all of us about a sorely underrated individual who sometimes, unfortunately is typically viewed in the shadow of Dr. Martin Luther King.
Karen
A bit too long and wordy but great insight into Thurgood Marshall and the journey of the civil rights movement
Malcolm
This is what got me motivated to attend law school.
Andre
Andre is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Rebecca Esmail
Rebecca Esmail marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Ronie Washington-mercado
Ronie Washington-mercado marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Apple
Apple added it
Aug 14, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Joey
Joey added it
Jun 19, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Scott Wood
Scott Wood marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2012
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2012
Kendrick
Kendrick marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Patricia Farley
Patricia Farley marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
South of Freedom The Coming Race War in America: A Wake-Up Call Breaking Barriers: A Memoir Breaking Barriers Go South To Sorrow

“On the second floor was the office in which Houston pounded an ancient typewriter with two fingers, always setting an example of unceasing hard work for his admiring students. They had no hint of the fact that their hard-driving dean had contracted tuberculosis while serving as a GI in France in Word War I. Houstan always seemed vibrant and impassioned in the chase for justice as he tried to expose his students to everything relating to the law that might give them an advantage.
. . .
"I never worked hard until I got to the Howard Law School and met Charlie Houston," Marshal told me. "I saw this man's dedication, his vision, his willingness to sacrifice, and I told myself, 'You either shape up or ship out.' When you are being challenged by a great human being, you know that you can't ship out."
So Houston rescued Marshall and launched him into a career as one of the greatest lawyers in American history.”
10 likes