Start by marking “Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)

Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Young Gom Gobblechuck knows he's different from his brothers and sisters, and from all of the folk in the village. He is quick and smart, he looks like his mother rather than his father, and he wears a rune that his mother left him when he disappeared the night Gom was born. And Gom can talk to animals and to the wind. They are his friends, more so than the village childre ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 206 pages
Published January 1st 1990 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Gom on Windy Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gom on Windy Mountain

X
Oct 05, 2009 X rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so nice when you re-read a book that you loved long ago and still find it just as wonderful! I was amazed at how much of the story I had forgotten, so while I did remember how it ended, much of it was as though I were reading it for the first time.
This book is esentially a prequel to the rest of the series. It is not quite as exciting as I remember the others being, but I found it incredibly hard to put down.

This edition is beautiful! It is paperback, but of nice quality with a few ill
Sallie Reynolds
Mar 04, 2008 Sallie Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bet you didn't know this is the first in a series of nine books, Legends of Ulm, all available from feralpressinc.com and from Kindle. Enough here to enchant a young reader over many a long cold winter, or reward young pupils with a magical reading hour at day's end. Recently I've read or reread - and loved - them all. This first book is especially fine, as the opening of a world of magic. It will enthrall children growing up a round peg in a square hole, a bird in the land of the earthbound, a ...more
Dacia
Apr 02, 2009 Dacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series has a very special place in my heart. It was the first series I ever read. There was this crusty librarian at my school in 8th grade, and she as a general rule didn't like kids, but she loved me because I read all the time. I was the only kid in school allowed to check out more than two books at once. I remember she came and got me out of class early on a Friday afternoon to give me all 4 books because they had just come in. I took them home and devoured them in a weekend. God bless ...more
Hannah
Jan 07, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff-reading
I didn't find this book till latter, but I read the next three in the series repeated in high school/middle school years. Very pleasant memories and the stories hold up to adult reading fairly well. Though I've never been pleased with Chetwin's choice of breaking spots for those three books as they seem more like one story than three and the transition between novels is awkward for me. This one does a fair job of standing alone. Though, I might be influenced by my memory of the other three books ...more
C
Feb 13, 2014 C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
A co-worker thought this reminded her a bit of Patricia McKillip, then changed her mind and felt it might be too simple. I think her first instinct was on target, but she was right on both counts: if you take Patricia McKillip and simplified her writing for a younger audience, this would have a familiar flavor to it.

It's a simply told, yet colorful, story. I really enjoyed it and feel bummed this is no longer in print and therefore is not quite so easy to get my hands on.
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading these books, and have known Gom since his Dell paperback days. Great series. I have reread them all several times, and they keep getting better. I have bought them for my kids, and they love them too. What a nice surprise to find them here. I strongly recommend Gom on Windy Mountain to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and fantasy all in one.
Jeff
Feb 21, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was one of my favorite series as a young boy. Gom is a young man who discovers that he is actually a wizard and that his mother was a powerful wizard as well. This book begins Gom's journey as he discovers clues about his absent mother and his inherited destiny. It's a quick read and worth the effort if you can find it.
Katrina Patton
Apr 15, 2012 Katrina Patton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these so long ago that I don't remember much about the series or the characters, but I remember it being enchanting. It was one of the few books I read as a kid that still sticks out to me. I know we have copies of the books somewhere, but I'd like to buy them over again so I can re-read them and give a better review.
Samantha
Jan 09, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a weird read. The basic plot itself was very interesting but after a while it just got kind of uncomfortable. Like that feeling you get when someone's staring at you and you just wish they would blink, it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't recommend it.
Alyssa
Sep 20, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series came to me pretty highly recommended, but turned out to be painfully dull.

If you like your fantasy slow and brown and generally light on surprise and mystery, then I suppose these would be a good way to go.
Ruth
Aug 16, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another one I finally remembered because Mom made me clean out the boxes of stuff I have been keeping at her house and I found my 6th grade reading journal. I have been trying to remember the name of this one for FOREVER!
Jerry Roys
Another case of a fairly terrible book having nostalgia value I think.
Jared
Nov 24, 2012 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved this when I was 12?
Kathleen
Jul 14, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1993
Cassettes.
Jeremiah Logan
Jeremiah Logan rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Alice Hsieh
Alice Hsieh rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
J. Robert Larmer
J. Robert Larmer marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Eos
Eos rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Samara Gagne
Samara Gagne rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Wesley Hudson
Wesley Hudson marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Taylor Bleibaum
Taylor Bleibaum rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Avonlea Blizzard
Avonlea Blizzard marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
John-Mark
John-Mark rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Kairos
Kairos marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Typo in book description 3 12 Dec 31, 2015 06:11AM
  • Midnight's Choice (Switchers, #2)
  • Owl in Love
  • Send Me Down a Miracle
  • Cold Tom
  • The Cloud Chamber
  • Sir Stalwart (King's Daggers, #1)
  • A Time for Angels
  • The Prophecy
  • Well Wished
  • Dragon War
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • Before the Mask (Dragonlance: Villains, #1)
  • Jumping the Scratch
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • The Sword of Truth Gift Set (Sword of Truth, #1-5)
  • The Train to Estelline
  • The Sioux Spaceman

Gom (9 books)
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • The Crystal Stair (Gom, #3)
  • The Starstone (Gom, #4)
  • Gerrad's Quest (Gom, #5)
  • The Fall of Aelyth-Kintalyn (Gom, #6)
  • The Foundling of Snawbyr Crygg (Gom, #7)
  • Wycan (Gom, #8)
  • The Stargate of Lantyn (Gom, #9)