Start by marking “The Year at Thrush Green” as Want to Read:
The Year at Thrush Green

The Year at Thrush Green (Thrush Green #12)

Published October 1st 1996 by Houghton Mifflin (first published May 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Year at Thrush Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year at Thrush Green

Lori
Nov 16, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
After recently reading several YA series fantasy books replete with court intrigues, assassins, betrayals, loss, disfigurement, etc, it was a blessed relief to reenter the comforting world of Thrush Green. Walking with my beloved friends through a "year" at Thrush Green was peace personified. Poor Ella did find out she has macular degeneration so I could sympathize. Although I object to the apparent British modifier of "senile" at the beginning of the condition! Having just finished the book in ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I listened to this book on CD, and it was a satisfying dose of treacle. It was almost an English version of Jan Karon's Father Tim stories set in North Carolina. Every once in a while it's nice to visit a world where everyone is kind to everyone else. A steady diet of Thrush Green fiction (and there's apparently a lot in this series) would be way too much.
Jennie Bauer
Jul 28, 2008 Jennie Bauer rated it it was amazing
As always, the Miss Read books are fun, realxing and a great bedtime read. I just love finding a series I love that has lots of books to read!
Harriet
Aug 07, 2013 Harriet rated it liked it
Read this book in one sitting, I think I hurried through it too quickly and lost the nuances. I need to read it again.
Deborah
Aug 16, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to do a combined review for all the remaining Thrush Green books (with the exception of Christmas) because although they are all excellent, they are also all basically the same, in the way that episodes of The Archers are all the same. So, still worth reading; but hard to differentiate one book from another.

The attraction comes from seeing the seasons ebb and flow, and picking up the stories of the characters. There are changes - characters die, babies are born, houses are built, newc
Christy
May 07, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: character-driven
In her fortieth book published by Houghton Mifflin, the inimitable Miss Read leads us through the seasons at Thrush Green, the Cotswold village already beloved by her thousands of readers. As the snows of January yield to snowdrops and then daffodils, we look in on a host of characters - whimsical, eccentric, always delightfully recognizable - and their daily affairs. Dotty Harmer serves up an herbal brew to her neighbor Albert Piggott, who has a soft spot for her behind his crusty facade. Archi ...more
Kate
"Following a bitterly cold snap in January, winter at Thrush Green turns into a beautiful spring and a series of local dramas takes hold of the village community. Plans for the village fete are hotting up, the illness of Mrs. Peters at the Fuchsia Bush restaurants makes the future uncertain for its staff, and problems concerning the Rectory Cottages prove difficult to solve.

"Meanwhile, the arrival of a stranger from America excites much interest and curiosity -- who is this blond giant, and what
Liz
Jun 17, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So sorry to come to the end of the two Miss Read series. I thoroughly loved both the Fairacre and Thrush Green books. After I finished the Fairacre series and read the first Thrush Green book, I wasn't as enthralled by it. But I grew to really like the Thrush Green characters as the series went on. They are all very calming books to read, especially after reading some of the mysteries I've read with especially heinous crimes.
Nancy
This is a pleasant book that takes place in a small English village. It centers on a group of older friends, and their lives in Thrush Green. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the gardens, and the wild life in them. I listened to this book at bed time, and always needed to run the CD's back to the last place I heard the night before.
Nathalie S
Jan 27, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
I was amazed that I had not read this book because I am a big fan of Miss Read! Here a little FYI, author Jan Karon was inspired by Miss Read to write her own Mitford series. I love all the Miss Read books and I have read them numerous times since I've discovered them. It is like going home and visiting with dear friends.
Irina
Aug 12, 2007 Irina rated it it was amazing
As an avid and unashamed anglophile, I loved this book -- it's a gentle, enjoyable read where you follow the happenings in a little village in England: jumble sales, doctors who make house calls, thatched roof cottages, walks along country lanes, a 2-room schoolhouse, fireside visits with neighbors over tea, etc. with I've been reading and re-reading the series for about 10 years now.
Carol
Apr 30, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
One of the many Miss Read books. I love all the characters and some are truly characters and the location and just the fun stories of the average people and their day to day lives, sadness, happiness and upsets that make up their lives. I'd love to visit Thrush Green!
Rebecca
Apr 28, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-story
I love this whole series. Reading one is like taking a long walk down a Cotswold byway on a warm summer day. Not a lot happens, but that's the point.
Beth Harbaugh
Jul 30, 2013 Beth Harbaugh rated it it was amazing
I've read this before. I enjoy the books by Miss Read, they are peaceful books that always leave me with a smile and eagerly looking forward to the next one.
Dawn
Jul 18, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-fodder
When I need a break from this world, I head over to Thrush Green for a little R&R and peace of mind.
Chris Collier-Roberts
Chris Collier-Roberts rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Christy Glover
Christy Glover rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Carolyn
Jul 08, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and again I love to read a lovely story like this author puts out ~ when life was simpler
Lynda Lagodney
Lynda Lagodney rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Skyler
Skyler rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2008
Dianem
Dianem rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2009
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2009
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Trishkit
Trishkit rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2007
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Grier
Grier rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • Laughter on the Stairs
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • The Corner Shop
  • A Wish and a Prayer (Blessings)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Did Not Finish (Aidy Westlake, #1)
  • East of Peculiar (Hannah Garvey Mystery #1)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Thrush Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)

“The worst of getting old,' said Winnie, 'is the time one has to spend in patching oneself up.” 0 likes