Start by marking “Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)” as Want to Read:
Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)

Village Centenary (Fairacre #15)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  14 reviews
VILLAGE CENTENARY welcomes us back to Miss Read's cozy downland village just in time for the one hundredth anniversary of Fairacre School. Miss Clare, who was a pupil and later a teacher there, points out that such a centenary should be celebrated, and all of Fairacre is quick to offer suggestions -- from a tea party to a full-scale pageant. Deciding how best to stage the ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Village Centenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Village Centenary

Carolyn
Most of Miss Read books can be put in one cute category: quaint. It's a word I don't use often, because of old 80's yuppie connotations. However her stories are quite quaint. I have learned to love each character in Fair acre and in Thrush green. This book is not a disappointment, like so many other authors who have series or books surrounding the same characters tome to tome. I love the fact that the decision whether to have a tea party or pageant to pay for the leaky sky light in the school is ...more
I realise now why I love Miss Read's audiobooks so much. The lady who reads them, June Barry, sounds just like my grandmother used to, and Fairacre village reminds me very much of her little village in Sussex. No wonder, then, that these stories soothe me to sleep!
Charlie Trafford
Another engaging little saga abut life in the village of Fairacre, its another 5 stars!
Melody
Another wonderful entry in the Fairacre canon, this one with a star turn by Miss Clare. The school is 100 years old, and the village throws itself into the celebration as only a small tightly-knit village can do. The characters are so well-drawn and the tide of the narrative so comfortable that it's easy to overlook what a good writer Miss Read was.
Carol
Dawn
Love these little books. Sweet, gentle, a lost way of life. Written by a village school teacher who recounts her days in the village of Fairacre (set at the foot of the Berkshire Downs, which is home to me). This book celebrates the village school's 100th anniversary and tells the story month by month leading up to the final celebrations.
E.L.
What fun, to find a Fairacre book I hadn't read yet. I'm thankful my teenage self found Miss Read's books boring, because it has given me even greater joy to read them all for the first time as an adult. This was just as delightful as all the others: charming, comforting, pungent, and full of quiet zest.
Jo
This was a charming book, very light and easy to read, evoking a wonderful atmosphere of village life in rural England. I read almost the whole thing on a train journey from Cambridge to Birmingham - very gentle and easy-going.
Teotakuu
Another fortuitous find amongst the books in a box at FutureCat's on Saturday night

I am enjoying these stories so much. Miss Read has a perceptive eye for the pace and dynamics of life in rural villages post WW2
Michele
What's not to like about a Miss Read book? This was the perfect distraction to cold, wet weather in dreary January. The gentle pace & familiar characters add to its charm.
Dianne Gardner
I am reading the series,"Chronicles of Fairacre". I really like how she has developed her characters, making you feel as if you know each of them.
Hannah Gardner
These books are just plain fun and whimsy for me.
Sharon
100 year school anniversary
Leslie
Leslie added it
Dec 17, 2014
Sabina
Sabina marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Trisha K.
Trisha K. marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Parris
Parris added it
Nov 28, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Katie Williams
Katie Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
kris2
kris2 marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • The Two Mrs. Abbotts
  • A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2)
  • Up and Down in the Dales
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly
  • The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • Downhome: An Anthology of Southern Women Writers
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Michael O'Halloran
  • Mrs. Miniver
  • Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...
Village School (Fairacre, #1) Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1) Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2) Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3) Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)