Start by marking “Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)” as Want to Read:
Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)

Village Centenary (Fairacre #15)

VILLAGE CENTENARY welcomes us back to Miss Read's cozy downland village just in time for the one hundredth anniversary of Fairacre School. Miss Clare, who was a pupil and later a teacher there, points out that such a centenary should be celebrated, and all of Fairacre is quick to offer suggestions -- from a tea party to a full-scale pageant. Deciding how best to stage the ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Village Centenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Village Centenary

Bethany
A charming book about quiet village life. Filled with great characters, the story makes you wish you lived there! I love all of Miss Read books and this one is a keeper.
Carolyn
Feb 10, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-good-one-yes
Most of Miss Read books can be put in one cute category: quaint. It's a word I don't use often, because of old 80's yuppie connotations. However her stories are quite quaint. I have learned to love each character in Fair acre and in Thrush green. This book is not a disappointment, like so many other authors who have series or books surrounding the same characters tome to tome. I love the fact that the decision whether to have a tea party or pageant to pay for the leaky sky light in the school is ...more
Dawn
Jan 18, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 50-books
Love these little books. Sweet, gentle, a lost way of life. Written by a village school teacher who recounts her days in the village of Fairacre (set at the foot of the Berkshire Downs, which is home to me). This book celebrates the village school's 100th anniversary and tells the story month by month leading up to the final celebrations.
Melody
Apr 01, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it
Another wonderful entry in the Fairacre canon, this one with a star turn by Miss Clare. The school is 100 years old, and the village throws itself into the celebration as only a small tightly-knit village can do. The characters are so well-drawn and the tide of the narrative so comfortable that it's easy to overlook what a good writer Miss Read was.
E.L.
Oct 29, 2013 E.L. rated it really liked it
What fun, to find a Fairacre book I hadn't read yet. I'm thankful my teenage self found Miss Read's books boring, because it has given me even greater joy to read them all for the first time as an adult. This was just as delightful as all the others: charming, comforting, pungent, and full of quiet zest.
Carol
Jan 03, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: century-of-books
Dec 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I realise now why I love Miss Read's audiobooks so much. The lady who reads them, June Barry, sounds just like my grandmother used to, and Fairacre village reminds me very much of her little village in Sussex. No wonder, then, that these stories soothe me to sleep!
Jo
Nov 16, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, miss-read
This was a charming book, very light and easy to read, evoking a wonderful atmosphere of village life in rural England. I read almost the whole thing on a train journey from Cambridge to Birmingham - very gentle and easy-going.
Teotakuu
Jan 18, 2012 Teotakuu rated it really liked it
Another fortuitous find amongst the books in a box at FutureCat's on Saturday night

I am enjoying these stories so much. Miss Read has a perceptive eye for the pace and dynamics of life in rural villages post WW2
Sharon
Mar 13, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
100 year school anniversary
Ellen Stafford
Another great book in the series from Miss Read.
Dianne Gardner
Apr 02, 2013 Dianne Gardner rated it liked it
Shelves: miss-read
I am reading the series,"Chronicles of Fairacre". I really like how she has developed her characters, making you feel as if you know each of them.
Burgundy Rose
Feb 28, 2015 Burgundy Rose rated it really liked it
Lovely and soothing. I loved the Vicar in this. Not my favourite Miss Read but it's very enjoyable and unlike anything else in terms of comfort.
Michele
Jan 24, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: current-fiction
What's not to like about a Miss Read book? This was the perfect distraction to cold, wet weather in dreary January. The gentle pace & familiar characters add to its charm.
Hannah Gardner
These books are just plain fun and whimsy for me.
Sally
Apr 28, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it
I just love these Fairacre books by Miss Read! They are charming, witty, and indulge my inner anglophile!
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2014
Lois
Lois rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Charlene
Charlene rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah Dunsbee
Sarah Dunsbee rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Ardith
Ardith rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Patricia Kelly
Patricia Kelly rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Kathy Edinger
Kathy Edinger rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Pajan
Pajan rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Susan Solak
Susan Solak rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Sue Strouse
Sue Strouse rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2017
Lisa Carter
Lisa Carter rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
  • Christmas Cake
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • Going On Sixteen
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Henry Reed's Big Show
  • Wish I Could Be There: Notes From a Phobic Life
  • A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls, #2)
  • Nights In The Gardens Of Spain
  • Downhome: An Anthology of Southern Women Writers
  • Overcoming Anxiety for Dummies
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)