Start by marking “The Crew” as Want to Read:
The Crew

The Crew

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Crew is Dougie Brimson's first novel, following a series of books on the subject of football hooliganism written with his brother Eddy. Once again, the territory covered relates to the violence that surrounds football. This time, however, things aren't for real--still, the characters and story line seem real enough, especially for those familiar with any of the tales t ...more
Published September 2nd 1999 by Headline Book Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crew

Godzilla
I was aware of Dougie Brimson as a hooligan writer, but have never read his body of work up to now.

This is his first novel, and I must say it pleasantly surprised me. Perhaps my expectations were set low, and so easily exceeded, but the book rattles along at a good pace, the characterisations were realistic and involving.

I certainly didn't see where the plot was heading and it worked well. I expected a trite football hooligan story, but this delivered a lot more.
Jay Fromkin
I thought I had an understanding of British soccer hooligans, but Dougie Brimson's "The Crew" is an in-depth novelization of the hooligan life and the police response to it. This topic seems to have dominated Brimson's writing career since 1997. Hooliganism is an odd-subculture of sport, which we we've only seen in diminutive form in the United States - small riots when teams win; small riots when they lose; the occasional fight at a baseball or football game. But British hooliganism, and Europe ...more
Theweebarrell
enjoyed this now looking forward to book 2
Beth
This novel follows a desperate attempt by the police to pin down Evans, the assumed leader of one of the country's top firms and the lengths they'll go to, to get him. They convince (read coerce) an arrested hooligan to go in as an informant, hoping to get more evidence on Evans and finally be able to convict him. The police know something huge is going to happen on this trip to Rome but they just can't work out what it is.

This novel is as much as thriller as anything else, with copious amounts
Barrie Penman
First book downloaded from kindle (cos it was free)
(Still Free)

Not really my interests, football, hooliganism..... but....
Soon swept up with the momentum.

Well worth tdownloading.
Vik
Not my usual type of read, it was fine as a quick airplane read. Gives you a good fictionalised view of hooliganism from the perpetrator and police view.

L.R. Currell
Brilliant. I'd give this book four and a half stars if I could. The story is very easy to follow. I didn't think Evans character was solid at first but by the end of the book I got it. Using this story as a sort of prelude (it isn't exactly) into Evan's character being the protagonist in the next is a great idea.

I kind of lost touch with the whole exporting cars idea. I would have to go back and re read it again to fully comprehend. I am a fast reader so I normally get the main Crux of the book
CuteBadger
While on holiday recently I decided to go read the books on my Kindle from the oldest to the newest downloaded, rather than just picking things I'd only acquired recently. I've had the Kindle for 3 years and have downloaded a lot of free books in that time, but never got round to reading them.

This was one of the oldest items I had, having downloaded it as it was free and I like crime novels. It's not my usual type of read (even for a crime-related book)and I wasn't really sure what to make of it
Kerrie
This one is probably more for the fellas but having said that I did enjoy it. I even had a bit of empathy with Fitch (one of the baddies)!
The only thing I didn't really like about this one was the ending - not because it was badly written or anything but because it didn't end the way it should have in my head :oD Maybe that's what made it such a good read?
On the whole, it's a good insight into the hooligan culture and a bit of an eye opener :o)
Book Addict Shaun
Now this is a book that I've wanted to read for a long time, but never got round to. So I was very happy to have finally read it over the past few days. It's one of those books however that I don't think needs a massive review, and with nearly 450 reviews on Amazon alone I don't know what else I can say that hasn't been said before. First published in 1999, you can find out more about it's conception over on Dougie's website here. Very interesting to see how the book came to fruition. I read a f ...more
Karen
As someone who has been heavily involved in the policing and stewarding of football I found this a fantastic read. It is a great insight into the world of football hooligans but not for the faint hearted. I loved the ending too - even if it was met with an involuntary expletive! Read this and then buy Top Dog to find out what happens next...
Elizabeth Jasper
I read Dougie Brimson's non-fiction books about football hooliganism while researching my latest novel and found them informative and helpful. I decided to give this novel a go. Plenty of insight into the mind of the football hooligan, interspersed with a gripping story that kept me interested right to the end.
Fiona Ross
Gripping and pacy, a fascinating study of the hooliganism surrounding football in the UK of the 1990s and how the author's specialist police unit dealt with it. I've never read anything like this before, but it entertained me and I shall read more by this author. I didn't see the final twist.
Qfreak
This isn't my usual read, but it was free on Amazon. I was sucked in within a few pages and couldn't wait to see what happened. The last couple of chapters were a bit strung out I found, but other than that I really enjoyed it, and will happily pay for the follow up.
Naomi
This book let's you feel the characters. The hooliganism is a secondary story to the main plot but I found I wanted to keep on turning the pages. The ending was a bit blunt but what's the point of a book always finishing how you expect it to?
Chris Copley
It's violent, gritty and raw in places, but this book is gripping and tense throughout. The story is fast-paced and entertaining and it's definitely one that once you've started it, you won't want to put it down.
1000cuttsgmail.com

Pretty much run of the mill crime with some hooligans thrown in story......fairly ho hum until a decent ending that surprised me and added a couple of extra stars...... Www.facebook.com/1000cutts :)
Leslie
Pretty violent as expected and a good story set around football violence. Well written enough to make you dislike characters and their motivation.Good enough to make me want to read the follow up.
Nikitas Bompolias
I'm not really a football fan, but to be honest it doesn't matter. The book is really a page turner. It's a crime thriller with a twist. It's not generally long and quit enjoyable.
Georgina Sampson
Really enjoyed reading this! Probably not the ending that everyone would expect but still a shock anyway. Will defi try and read the next book in the series
Keith
good story of how the police try to infiltrate the top boys of english football hooligans
Suzanne
A good read. Interesting story line. Definately made me want to read the second book.
David
Mar 19, 2013 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
fast paced, a lot of violence and an ending that you don't expect
Alan Griffin
Good read slow start but a good read
Marc Wiener
Gripping good read
Emma Rowland
Quite a good read but very unsatisfying ending as it leads on to a sequel. Don't think I shall be bothering with that one.
Lae Monier
A band of cops goes after a band of hooligans.
First off, I'd like to say I thought this story was misogynistic in the way that one woman was present, she appeared once, briefly, and it was to take in a cup of coffee to a bunch of guys. The other was a lawyer and came over a puppet in the men's hands.
I found the ending bizarre and a letdown.
All in all, it started off very well but it dragged on and definitely lost it in the end.
P.e.
A different type of book for me to read. I am not used to the London type slang used in the book, I did'nt like the end either.
Theresa
To be honest it started well but the plot became too complex so I found it rater disappointing after a promising start.
Anne
Started off well, all about football violence in the 1990's but thought the ending was disappointing.
  • Last Flight Out
  • The Firelight of Maalda
  • Crimzon & Clover
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Trauma
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Are You Positive?
  • Coffin Dodgers
  • Waltz of Shadows
  • Life Blood
  • A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
Having written 15 books and a multi award winning feature film in under 15 years, former serviceman Dougie Brimson has emerged as one of Britain’s most prolific writers.

After 18 years service with the Royal Air Force -including both the Falklands and Gulf War 1- the ex-Sergeant engineer’s literary career began in 1996 when he co-wrote a book based on his experiences as a soccer casual entitled Eve
More about Dougie Brimson...
Billy's Log Top Dog March of the Hooligans Everywhere We Go: Behind the Matchday Madness Barmy Army: The Changing Face of Football Violence