Start by marking “Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness Through Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"If you have an interest in optimum mental health, this book belongs on your shelf!" --Amy Weintraub, author of "Yoga for Depression" "A must-read for anyone interested in overcoming depression and healing themselves naturally. A very important book that will elevate you in many ways. Everyone must seek it out." --Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., author of "Meditation as Medicin ...more
Published April 6th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way

Colleen
Dec 18, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This book makes so much sense to me. I love how they split depression into the three doshas. Instead of reading descriptions of symptoms (which always seem too general) I enjoyed reading profiles of people who exhibit each doshic type of depression. Right now I'm reading about pranayama work for each form of depression. Really looking forward to the chapters on yoga and ayurveda/food remedies.
Belann
Jun 10, 2010 Belann rated it it was amazing
I really learned a lot about Ayuvedic medicine from this book. The application was for depression, but it explained in great detail the three body types: vata, pitta, and kapha, and how to overcome problems in all three. The emphasis was on depression, but there was a great chapter on sleep problems. Very helpful.
Jimmy
Jun 05, 2016 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Simple and practical, easy to apply, works even if you only use a few of the ideas
Phredric
Jun 23, 2013 Phredric rated it liked it
I found this book useful. The three Depression Archetypes gave me a different way to think about depression. I also like the spice tea (cumin / coriander/ fennel) - don't know if it works but it's delicious!
Dianelys R
Dec 29, 2015 Dianelys R rated it really liked it
It is a great book with concrete bases and even if you not have depression or whatever, helps you to improve your lifestyle.
Kate
Aug 01, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book that gives real solutions for things that you can do to lessen depression in a non-medicinal way. It follows the path of Ayurveda and breaks down depression into 3 types (Airy, Burning or Earthy) and different things to do for each one. It doesn't treat the disease as a generalization, but instead looks at differences we have as individuals and helps to break treatment down into smaller steps.
Meleofa
Oct 13, 2009 Meleofa rated it it was ok
I don't know how far I will get in this book. I'm 20 pages in, and already losing interest.
Emily
Jul 29, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read
found this while looking for some yoga DVDs and thought it would make an interesting read :)
Alyssa
I'm not a believer in Ayurveda, so this book, while interesting, was of no use to me.
Nicole
Mar 26, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok
Meh.
Brigid
Brigid is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Lisa Bintrim
Lisa Bintrim marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Mrs. Wirsing
Mrs. Wirsing marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Emanuel
Emanuel marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Tabbitha Barber
Tabbitha Barber rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Bob
Bob is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
alizabeth
alizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Jessica Stallworth
Jessica Stallworth marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Amie Wilson
Amie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Sacred Fire My Journey Into Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • 5 Simple Steps to Take Your Marriage from Good to Great
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Krav Maga for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Guide to the World's Easiest-to-Learn, Most-Effective Fitness and Fighting Program