Start by marking “Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness Through Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"If you have an interest in optimum mental health, this book belongs on your shelf!"
--Amy Weintraub, author of "Yoga for Depression""A must-read for anyone interested in overcoming depression and healing themselves naturally. A very important book that will elevate you in many ways. Everyone must seek it out."
--Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., author of "Meditation as Medicine"
Published April 6th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way

Colleen
This book makes so much sense to me. I love how they split depression into the three doshas. Instead of reading descriptions of symptoms (which always seem too general) I enjoyed reading profiles of people who exhibit each doshic type of depression. Right now I'm reading about pranayama work for each form of depression. Really looking forward to the chapters on yoga and ayurveda/food remedies.
Belann
I really learned a lot about Ayuvedic medicine from this book. The application was for depression, but it explained in great detail the three body types: vata, pitta, and kapha, and how to overcome problems in all three. The emphasis was on depression, but there was a great chapter on sleep problems. Very helpful.
Phredric
I found this book useful. The three Depression Archetypes gave me a different way to think about depression. I also like the spice tea (cumin / coriander/ fennel) - don't know if it works but it's delicious!
Kate
This is a great book that gives real solutions for things that you can do to lessen depression in a non-medicinal way. It follows the path of Ayurveda and breaks down depression into 3 types (Airy, Burning or Earthy) and different things to do for each one. It doesn't treat the disease as a generalization, but instead looks at differences we have as individuals and helps to break treatment down into smaller steps.
Meleofa
I don't know how far I will get in this book. I'm 20 pages in, and already losing interest.
Emily
Jul 29, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read
found this while looking for some yoga DVDs and thought it would make an interesting read :)
Alyssa
I'm not a believer in Ayurveda, so this book, while interesting, was of no use to me.
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Micah
Micah is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Neethi Poonacha
Neethi Poonacha marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Harshita
Harshita marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Green Soul Holistics
Green Soul Holistics marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Yaimie
Yaimie added it
Jun 16, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Renee
Renee added it
May 20, 2015
Ellen Carpenter
Ellen Carpenter marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Mari Funai
Mari Funai marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Healing Mantras: Using Sound Affirmations for Personal Power, Creativity, and Healing (Book & CD)
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • Life Unlocked: 7 Revolutionary Lessons to Overcome Fear