Start by marking “Orson Blasts Off!” as Want to Read:
Orson Blasts Off!

Orson Blasts Off!

What's a megabyte-loving kid to do when his computer breaks?BLAST OFF!

Join Orson and his sidekick, Weasel, on a hair-raising adventure where they touch the North Pole...watch the eye of a storm wink...and fall through a black hole in outer space.

Readers (but maybe not their parents!) will be amazed at what can happen when a creative kid is forced away from his computer scr
Published April 6th 2004 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Orson Blasts Off!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orson Blasts Off!

Talon Roseland
Aug 28, 2016 Talon Roseland rated it liked it
Orson Blasts Off! written by, Raul Colon is a great choice as a picture book. I think this book would be best read to kindergartners because I think they would appreciate the detailed pictures that explain what is happening rather than the words that you are reading. I think Early Childhood age groups would be the best to read this book because of that reason. This book could be read when talking about outer space, dreaming, getting outside, or using your imagination. This book may be used as ...more
Annie
Aug 01, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it
My 4 year old LOVES this story about a boy who's computer crashes and he's left to entertain himself with his imagination with a little help from his jack-in-the-box, Weasel. They go to the North Pole, ride a paper boat in a hurricane and finally blast off into "out of our space" (as my 4 year old says). The illustrations are interesting and the story is entertaining as well as educational. Another library find, another to buy.
Tamra
Fun illustrations. Fun ideas about imagination and creative play. Good lessons: Go Play Outside, and Use Your Imagination! Relevant to our kids and us parents, too.

The mini-lesson about certain phrases we use that aren't exactly what they seem (like Eye of the Storm doesn't really mean an eyeball) was okay. Maybe I would have thought it was better done if I was a kid? I don't know about that one.

(Once a month I read picture books to a 2nd grade class. This one made the cut.)
The Brothers
Feb 19, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
When a little boy's computer is fried, it's up to him to find his own entertainment. With his trusty sidekick Weasel - a jack-in-the-box - Orson finds himself on a series of bizarre adventures.

The illustrations were okay. The author was trying to visually represent certain idioms - like eye of the storm or whale of a tale.
Candace Carr
I would read this book to a 4th grade class on a unit about stars and planets in space. This book can be used to introduce students about different things you would see in space and some well known stars.
Jen
Oct 24, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture-books
What to do when your video game breaks and you don't "do outside"? The third graders I read this to delighted in Orson's imagination when such a thing happened to him. My favorite part - Orson and Weasel walking by walruses.
Lori Shook
Mar 26, 2010 Lori Shook rated it really liked it
My class this week had a journal topic of how they use their imagingation and play by themselves. I was shocked how many of them had a hard time thinking of topics and details. This would be a good book to promote using the imagination.
Amy Adams
Oct 10, 2012 Amy Adams rated it really liked it
I'm really attracted to the illustrations in this book. The story is a little strange, but it's interesting, and something different happens on each page! On the last page, the author also includes descriptions of the idioms used throughout the book. Overall, I think kids would enjoy it.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Rivka Abramowitz
Rivka Abramowitz rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Noel Echols
story exploring outer space that can be an engage to talk about how the planets orbit, etc. (4th)
Lillie
Lillie rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2011
F.M.
F.M. rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Georgiana
Georgiana rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2009
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2014
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Quinsheeda
Quinsheeda rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Henry Marriott
Henry Marriott rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2013
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Lindsay
Aug 31, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A good one to revisit in a few years.
Leilani
Leilani rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2010
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 15, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Michele Darmanin
Michele Darmanin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sarahpeyton
Sarahpeyton marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Lewis
Lewis added it
Jun 28, 2015
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Prabhu
Prabhu added it
Feb 14, 2016
Ariell
Ariell marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Bob Scott
Bob Scott marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
New York City has been Raul's loyal patron, from illustrated New Yorker covers to an MTA mural at the 191st. St. subway station to work in the New York Times.

Along with all this 'grown up' work, Raul Colón is a most prolific and popular children's book illustrator, happy that his time is always committed to publishers for years hence. In recent years he is pleased that his work has been recognized
More about Raúl Colón...