Stars Above Us

Stars Above Us

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A little girl and her soldier father find a way to be close even when he?s away at war Amanda is scared of the dark. But her dad can fix that. He shows Amanda all the wonderful things that live in the dark, like fireflies, crickets, and stars. And when her father has to go away, he even puts glowing paper stars on Amanda?s bedroom ceiling, so she can look at their special...more
Published September 17th 2009 by Putnam Juvenile

Candice
A sweet story about a father chasing away the fears of his daughter. Amanda is afraid of the dark, so her father takes her outside on a starry night and points out many friendly nighttime things such as fireflies, the Big Dipper and the North Star. He tells her that he will be able to see the North Star when he goes away and that she should make a wish on it. The next day he puts glow-in-the-dark stars on her bedroom ceiling. Although it it not stated, Amanda's father is in the military, which i...more
Amy Taylor
This is the story of Amanda. A little girl afraid of the dark. Her fathers takes her outside one night to show her all the wonderful things that live in the dark (fireflies, stars, etc.) Then they decorate her room so Amanda can see all the wonderful things each night as she drifts off to sleep. When Amanda’s father is sent to fight overseas they agree to think of each other whenever they look at their special star.
I felt the father’s departure was a little abrupt because the earlier pages of t...more
Sarah BT
This is my least favorite nominee on the Show-Me Readers list and honestly, I'm not really sure why I didn't like it.

I thought the story was a bit boring and not that well written which is maybe why I wasn't a big fan. Amanda is afraid of the dark and her dad helps her put glow in the dark stars on her ceiling. Then he tells her that she can look at the North Star when he's away.

We're never really told why Amanda's father is away or that he's in the Army, but we see that in pictures. I think I...more
Melanie
A beautiful book about Amanda, a young girl who finds herself scared of the dark. Her father takes her outside to show her the good things in the dark. Stars, crickets, fireflies...He brings home a surprise the next day: paper and special paint to make glow-in-the-dark stars to put up in Amanda's room.

Her father soon leaves to serve his country overseas in the military. Amanda looks at her stars and thinks of her father often. By the time her father returns home, Amanda and her mother have added...more
Jackie
While Amanda is afraid of the dark, her father explains to her that there is nothing to fear. He shows her the stars and fireflies as they listen to the music of the crickets. But, Dad is going away, far away, and for a long time. He is in the military. One night he calls home and tells Amanda that they look at the same sky, the same stars...it makes having him away not as scary. She wishes on a star...hoping that, very soon, Dad will come home.

Used for "Sky and Stars" Storytime: October, 2011....more
paula
Amanda is afraid of the dark. I would be too, if my Daddy were going off to war. But Daddy pastes glow in the dark stars to her ceiling and brings home a puppy, and, while Amanda and her mom miss Daddy and fear for his safety, he does after all come home safely.

Any adult who can make it through Stars Above Us without choking up, please call me. I'd love to read it aloud to the second grade class, but you'd have to mop me up with a sponge afterward.
Mehta
A really sweet story. A young girl is afraid of the dark, so her father shows her the good things in the dark (fireflies and stars). Before he leaves for military service on the other side of the world, he pastes glow in the dark stars on her ceiling and gives her a puppy they name Bear after the Big Dipper. The separation and reunion are heartbreaking. This one actually made me cry at work...
Matthew
This is another classic in the collection of books illustrated by E.B. Lewis. It's a gentle story of a girl who must suffer through separation from her father as goes away to serve in the military. The stars on the ceiling were truly beautiful. I'd like to them on my own bedroom ceiling.
Jenny
Amanda is scared of the dark until her dad shows her that there are wonderful things about night time...fireflies, the moon and stars. This is especially helpful to her when her dad goes far away (to serve in the military). The stars help her to feel closer to her dad.

Karissa
This is a really sweet story of a girl and her dad who is in the military... they use the stars to stay connected. Being an army wife, I teared up, but it is really sweet.
Maureen
I loved this book! It's a perfect story for children whose parent goes away for any length of time. A great pairing is If You Listen by Charlotte Zolotow.
Stephanie
Sweet. I thought it was going to just be about not being afraid of the dark. It is also about Dad going off to war. Beautifully illustrated.
Marianna
I love how the dad helps the little girl overcome her fear of the dark by showing her that the night is not scary, but beautiful.
Mariah Smith
Touches the heart. Very good one for the child of a parent who must be absent.
Krista
Gentle story for children whose has a family member in the military.
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Fjóla
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jan 11, 2013
Geoffrey Norman is an American writer and editor based in Vermont.
More about Geoffrey Norman...
Two for the Summit: My Daughter, the Mountains, and Me Deep End Blue Chipper Sweetwater Ranch Inch by Inch: A Novel of Breast Cancer and Healing