Start by marking “Stars Above Us” as Want to Read:
Stars Above Us

Stars Above Us

A little girl and her soldier father find a way to be close even when he?s away at war Amanda is scared of the dark. But her dad can fix that. He shows Amanda all the wonderful things that live in the dark, like fireflies, crickets, and stars. And when her father has to go away, he even puts glowing paper stars on Amanda?s bedroom ceiling, so she can look at their special ...more
Published September 17th 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stars Above Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars Above Us

Candice
Mar 26, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story about a father chasing away the fears of his daughter. Amanda is afraid of the dark, so her father takes her outside on a starry night and points out many friendly nighttime things such as fireflies, the Big Dipper and the North Star. He tells her that he will be able to see the North Star when he goes away and that she should make a wish on it. The next day he puts glow-in-the-dark stars on her bedroom ceiling. Although it it not stated, Amanda's father is in the military, which i ...more
Haley Potts
Dec 02, 2014 Haley Potts rated it it was ok
This story was about a little girl who was afraid of the dark, so her dad took her outside and showed her things in the dark that were not scary—like fireflies and stars and crickets. But it was still scary in her room. The next day her father came home with a bag of stars that they would paint with glow-in-the-dark paint that they would put on her ceiling. He pointed out a special one called the North Star, that he said was “our star”, so whenever she looked at it she would think of him. He had ...more
Logan Williams
Personal Reaction:
I thought the author did a great job writing about a serious issue that is very prevalent in our society today. This issue was that there are many children today whose parent(s) are not around often due to being deployed in the military. It was great to see how the father in the story eased his daughter's fears of the dark by simply taking her out into the night and showing her the wonderful things that make up the dark night such as fireflies and the stars. Before her father
Amy Taylor
Mar 27, 2011 Amy Taylor rated it liked it
This is the story of Amanda. A little girl afraid of the dark. Her fathers takes her outside one night to show her all the wonderful things that live in the dark (fireflies, stars, etc.) Then they decorate her room so Amanda can see all the wonderful things each night as she drifts off to sleep. When Amanda’s father is sent to fight overseas they agree to think of each other whenever they look at their special star.
I felt the father’s departure was a little abrupt because the earlier pages of t
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah BT rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is my least favorite nominee on the Show-Me Readers list and honestly, I'm not really sure why I didn't like it.

I thought the story was a bit boring and not that well written which is maybe why I wasn't a big fan. Amanda is afraid of the dark and her dad helps her put glow in the dark stars on her ceiling. Then he tells her that she can look at the North Star when he's away.

We're never really told why Amanda's father is away or that he's in the Army, but we see that in pictures. I think I
Melanie
A beautiful book about Amanda, a young girl who finds herself scared of the dark. Her father takes her outside to show her the good things in the dark. Stars, crickets, fireflies...He brings home a surprise the next day: paper and special paint to make glow-in-the-dark stars to put up in Amanda's room.

Her father soon leaves to serve his country overseas in the military. Amanda looks at her stars and thinks of her father often. By the time her father returns home, Amanda and her mother have added
Jackie
Sep 13, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
While Amanda is afraid of the dark, her father explains to her that there is nothing to fear. He shows her the stars and fireflies as they listen to the music of the crickets. But, Dad is going away, far away, and for a long time. He is in the military. One night he calls home and tells Amanda that they look at the same sky, the same stars...it makes having him away not as scary. She wishes on a star...hoping that, very soon, Dad will come home.

Used for "Sky and Stars" Storytime: October, 2011.
paula
Apr 22, 2010 paula rated it liked it
Amanda is afraid of the dark. I would be too, if my Daddy were going off to war. But Daddy pastes glow in the dark stars to her ceiling and brings home a puppy, and, while Amanda and her mom miss Daddy and fear for his safety, he does after all come home safely.

Any adult who can make it through Stars Above Us without choking up, please call me. I'd love to read it aloud to the second grade class, but you'd have to mop me up with a sponge afterward.
Mehta
Dec 09, 2009 Mehta rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A really sweet story. A young girl is afraid of the dark, so her father shows her the good things in the dark (fireflies and stars). Before he leaves for military service on the other side of the world, he pastes glow in the dark stars on her ceiling and gives her a puppy they name Bear after the Big Dipper. The separation and reunion are heartbreaking. This one actually made me cry at work...
Bailey Scales
Feb 26, 2015 Bailey Scales rated it it was amazing
I loved Stars Above Us! I used to be scared of the dark as a little girl and my dad put glow in the dark stickers on my ceiling so I would not be so afraid too just like Amanda's dad did for her. This book would be great for first graders to teach them not to be afraid of the dark as well. This book could also be great for children that have parents that are in the military and are/have been deployed. This book is mainly a feel good book that discusses heavier topics.
Amy Whipple
Oct 09, 2014 Amy Whipple rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-and-i-544
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Copyright Date: 2009
This book was about a young girl and her father. During the story, the father is deployed, but they both look at the stars and feel connected even though they are far apart. I really liked this story. This is a great book to share with students because it shows them the other side of war; it shows them what life is like for the families that are left at home.
Brenda Cregor
Jun 03, 2015 Brenda Cregor rated it liked it
America's longest war still goes on...but it's not kosher to talk about it.

News anchors used to count the fallen, now we hear nothing.

Too depressing, perhaps?

Families of soldiers are often forgotten.

This book might make it easier for a child to cope...and to remember.
Jenny
Jul 16, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Amanda is scared of the dark until her dad shows her that there are wonderful things about night time...fireflies, the moon and stars. This is especially helpful to her when her dad goes far away (to serve in the military). The stars help her to feel closer to her dad.

Matthew
Jun 05, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is another classic in the collection of books illustrated by E.B. Lewis. It's a gentle story of a girl who must suffer through separation from her father as goes away to serve in the military. The stars on the ceiling were truly beautiful. I'd like to them on my own bedroom ceiling.
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: pbs-families
Sweet. I thought it was going to just be about not being afraid of the dark. It is also about Dad going off to war. Beautifully illustrated.
Marianna
May 21, 2010 Marianna rated it really liked it
I love how the dad helps the little girl overcome her fear of the dark by showing her that the night is not scary, but beautiful.
Rani
Sep 08, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
When #daddy goes to war, inspired by the great north star, Amanda builds the surprise to welcome him back.
Karissa
May 05, 2010 Karissa rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a really sweet story of a girl and her dad who is in the military... they use the stars to stay connected. Being an army wife, I teared up, but it is really sweet.
Maureen Schlosser
Oct 16, 2011 Maureen Schlosser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-pairings
I loved this book! It's a perfect story for children whose parent goes away for any length of time. A great pairing is If You Listen by Charlotte Zolotow.
Katelyn Patterson
Katelyn Patterson rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Rachel Wanlass
Rachel Wanlass rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2012
Mariah
Dec 13, 2013 Mariah rated it it was amazing
Touches the heart. Very good one for the child of a parent who must be absent.
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Megan Marvel
Megan Marvel rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Kim Booth
Kim Booth rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Laura W.
Laura W. rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Geoffrey Norman is an American writer and editor based in Vermont.
More about Geoffrey Norman...